Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #1

Likely problem with Genset rocker switch?

Tried starting my Onan 7000 genset yesterday from the inside cabin rocker switch. Nothing happened but was able to start the gen from outside. Is there a fuse which controls the switch or more than likely the switch has failed and needs replacement?

If the latter, any idea where I can find the switch. Looks like there are about four wires going to it. Thanks...

Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
Tried starting my Onan 7000 genset yesterday from the inside cabin rocker switch. Nothing happened but was able to start the gen from outside. Is there a fuse which controls the switch or more than likely the switch has failed and needs replacement?

If the latter, any idea where I can find the switch. Looks like there are about four wires going to it. Thanks...
If you could post a pic of the front and back of the switch, I'm sure someone can help you! Without it, we're all just guessing. Glad you have the backup with the outside switch, even if it IS inconvenient to start. Just out of curiosity, will the inside switch shut the genny off after it is running?

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #3

I have a Generac genset and the reverse problem you have. the start switch on the genset was bad while the start switch inside worked. I took the switch out and checked it with an ohm meter then bought one out of Ebay. My problem was solved.

I would pull your switch and check it for continuity and I would bet you will find the switch bad. Just get a new one if it is bad snd if not you have eliminated one source of the problem
scdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #4

I had same problem with mine. This is what I found, but this is not the only solution, the generator when started from the rear and shut off from rear;switch stuck in "stop at rear which does not allow a front start. The unit is locked out. I replaced the toggle switches on the generator board, from Onan. If the generator is mounted behind the rear dual wheels the pc boards get moisture + DC =corrosion. Electrical and mechanical.

Try starting from rear and stopping from front. then start from front and shut off from the front. If it now operates from front the above solution could help.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #5

There is a plastic connector on the generator where all the wires go into the housing. It gets corroded. Just wiggle it a few times and then try the switch again. I'll bet it works.