Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
Looking at an 89 31' Chieftain

We are seriously considering buying this to go full time for 6 months + in order to go get a fresh start somewhere with promise, maybe longer if we like fulltiming who knows..

this is what we are looking at..
Album with 80 something pics..

I know it's going to be a lot of work. It needs a hot water heater and the septic tanks straightened out because they are mixing somehow but not leaking and likely many other little things..

I am a handy guy, mechanic, and I have plenty of time and elbow grease but not much money..

What do you think of this rig? Is it a quality machine? Worth working on?

Assuming everything works except what I mentioned what should I expect to pay for a rig like this?

Any tips or advice would be great.
We arent exactly shopping for an RV, its pretty much either this one or nothing because its the family deal, trades, payments that makes it possible..

Go for it or no? The seller mentioned $3500 but that can only go down.
I have the keys and have explored it and took all those pics but he won't be around till the next weekend to give me a tour of all the components and how to operate everything..
75k miles, fresh tune up supposed to run and drive cherry..

fasteddie313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
There are inherent dangers trying to fulltime in a "vintage" RV on very limited resources. If you are going to get this and have the ability to park on a family members property when the going gets tough then maybe go for it.
It seems like this may be worth what he's asking but how much is an rv worth without working tanks? Very risky .....tread carefully especially if there's a wifey and kiddos.

my 2 cents

okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Get RV and start working on it, fix it up livable and mechanically sound..
Next spring when the weather starts to break, N MI, move out of our house into the rig on our property.
If we find we can handle living in it for a couple weeks then rent out our current home, this will give us another rental on top of our 1 well occupied rental for some income that are flat paid for. Maybe $500 a month income after all costs..
Build trailer for tools and 1 car.
Once we get a renter situated and we are confident in the workings of the coach it's time to leave. To where? Somewhere..

We are planning to move somewhere new/better RV or no RV..
Old 09-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
Well, they say the first part of a plan is to write it down.

Sounds very ambitious but at least you left yourself with options. Who knows what tomorrow holds?

Good luck fasteddie!

If N MI means upper Michigan than I can't blame you for wanting to move (too cold).
I'm from Flint, Mi. and spent summers at my grandpas cottage on Long Lake in Alpena.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
Yes northern Michigan, smack in the middle of the "snow belt" between Traverse City and Gaylord. Cold, impoverished, terrible welfare economy, no money, no jobs, no future..