Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #1

Looking for opinions on some motorhomes i've picked out

i'm new to owning a motorhome, have never owned a pop up or travel trailer -- all i know is i want to build memories with my family, have some good family time outdoors

another thing to know about me is i'm not very mechanically inclined, i'm pretty close to being mechanically inept

we have 3 in our family and a 4th hopefully soon

my brother's in laws did 2 week family trips per year in a pop-up tent and weekend camping here and there --- i'd like to do the same

here is what i've found, mind letting me know which is the best or maybe your top 3 and why?

94 Fleetwood Flair 22ft

Motorhomes Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

Lasharo winnebago

1991 Rexhall Vision Motorhome, Price reduced

1996 Four Winds XL 30' class A --> this is one on the top end of my budget but there's a 1995 four winds in utah for $7,900, maybe i can use that as a negotiating tool

http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/rvs/3818646848.html

thanks for your help
jturkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 04:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We started out over 30 years ago the just like you. Suggestions..... look for one the that has been well taken care of. Look for Water damage, in the roof and side walls. Press on the roof in many area's , inside closets and on the side walls. Check All appliances, hot water, pump etc. so there is NO surprises. Same with engine and transmission. Many items can be replaced.... over the years I have replace the furnace, water pump, water tank, the flooring , the roof just to name a few.

Many will argue this.... I would pick a manufacture who is still in business. For instance, I had a 10 year old coach which was involved in a accident. Had No problem replacing the cabinet doors. Had a 4 year old coach who had gone bankrupt, could not buy the outside light lens!

I see some Class A and Class C coaches in the thread. Class A is a little easier to keep in touch with the group when traveling, easy for co-pilot to get in and out of the seat to go to the bathroom, attend to children. Also the class A provides more room when camping since the two front seat can be utilized. The Class C almost always provides a better sleeping quarters with the bed over the drivers seat. I did have a class A Winnebago with the a pull down bed over the front seat.

Happy Rving!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #3

I am sure you will get some good advice on evaluating the condition of your prospective RV, but here are a couple of other considerations:

-Where will you park the RV when not being used? This was always an issue when we were younger and just getting started. Driveway-HOA rules, slope and length of driveway, electrical hookups. Paid storage?
-Who will you look to for maintenance support? This will likely be your first challenge due to the age of your RV candidates. Do some shopping before you buy perhaps.
-Will you tow your auto? Research your needs, as there are some definite limits on what will tow what.
-Keep things simple and start with something that will not bust your budget. A lot of us campers started with travel trailers rather than old class "C's" or class "A's" then move on to more complex maintenance needy equipment.

Good luck. This is a great sport.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #4

thanks, sounds like class a is the way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
We started out over 30 years ago the just like you. Suggestions..... look for one the that has been well taken care of. Look for Water damage, in the roof and side walls. Press on the roof in many area's , inside closets and on the side walls. Check All appliances, hot water, pump etc. so there is NO surprises. Same with engine and transmission. Many items can be replaced.... over the years I have replace the furnace, water pump, water tank, the flooring , the roof just to name a few.

Many will argue this.... I would pick a manufacture who is still in business. For instance, I had a 10 year old coach which was involved in a accident. Had No problem replacing the cabinet doors. Had a 4 year old coach who had gone bankrupt, could not buy the outside light lens!

I see some Class A and Class C coaches in the thread. Class A is a little easier to keep in touch with the group when traveling, easy for co-pilot to get in and out of the seat to go to the bathroom, attend to children. Also the class A provides more room when camping since the two front seat can be utilized. The Class C almost always provides a better sleeping quarters with the bed over the drivers seat. I did have a class A Winnebago with the a pull down bed over the front seat.

Happy Rving!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #5

thanks

we'll be parking it on our driveway, has a slight decline and have electrical hookups

i haven't found maintenance support, i'll be checking out the bbb

i might tow a car, definitely sounds like the practical way to go so you're not driving around town with a motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
I am sure you will get some good advice on evaluating the condition of your prospective RV, but here are a couple of other considerations:

-Where will you park the RV when not being used? This was always an issue when we were younger and just getting started. Driveway-HOA rules, slope and length of driveway, electrical hookups. Paid storage?
-Who will you look to for maintenance support? This will likely be your first challenge due to the age of your RV candidates. Do some shopping before you buy perhaps.
-Will you tow your auto? Research your needs, as there are some definite limits on what will tow what.
-Keep things simple and start with something that will not bust your budget. A lot of us campers started with travel trailers rather than old class "C's" or class "A's" then move on to more complex maintenance needy equipment.

Good luck. This is a great sport.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
You can get a newer trailer..... for less, if you have tow vehicle. We did not, Loved the motorhome, since the vacation begins as soon as you leave the house. Easy on all since the children can sleep, watch TV, play games, eat or use the bathroom. Great for water / amusement parks. You can leave the generator running for the AC and come out to a cool MH for lunch, dinner, change of clothes or a nap fot the little ones.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote