Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

Looking into a '74 Tioga Class C

Hey everybody! So we have decided that, to start off, we may be better off going with an older RV that we can stress less about, as inexperienced RV folks. We're hoping we could save a little money, versus paying a monthly RV payment. Plus, older RV's are cheaper (we THINK). We'd like to fix one up and we've found one that we want to look into, but we have NO IDEA what to look for.

So far, this is what we know in her words:

This is the '74 Tioga. The motor is needs work on the timing chain and aside for the interior facelift it needs, it's been sitting for a few years, so the tires most likely have dry rot. It would be a shame to scrap it because as of the last use, everything worked great.......but then there is that hole my 14 yr old grandson was nice enough to put in the roof (he punched in the skylight, so it would need repaired - not actually a hole in the roof itself). I can't really climb anymore, so I don't know how bad it is, it's just apparent from the inside AND he confessed to having done it. I need to do something with it soon and would be willing to sell it pretty darn cheap. Having a hard time these days.

It has a bathroom with shower, toilet, vanity and sink......2, maybe 3 beds. I have to look at the book.....One bed (about double size) is in the overhead, the "couch" pulls out to make another double size(?) bed, and I do know the table collapses, but don't recall if that turns into a single bed or not. My dad was the kind of man who could fix anything and believed in keeping things up, so the water pump, septic, heater, a/c and all that stuff were kept up until he couldn't go anymore because of Parkinson's. My daddy passed due to Parkinson's 4 years ago.........he passed 5 months after my hubby was killed. He gave us the motorhome when he realized he could not travel like that anymore (which he just hated). Hubby and I had that on our list of things to do (refurbish it) the same spring he was killed.

I'm thinking 800.00 is fair for what it DOES have that works......stove, oven, sink, water pump, septic pump, hot water heater, refrigerator (it may need to be charged?) ....you know the big stuff that makes a motor home a motor home. I could part it out, but I just plain don't have the time or patience to mess with hagglers.

PS: I know you haven't even seen it yet, but it sure wouldn't take as much money (I don't think) to get a fixer upper, than buy one in perfect condition. I could be wrong and I definitely want to be fair. If you should decide to buy it, you will definitely have to haul it out of here........that's for sure.....I don't even know if any of the tires are "up", but they are definitely weather worn. Nice thing about the tires is, they aren't huge (speaking money wise on tires).

So, what kind of money will we most likely need to put into this RV. I get the tires (obviously they'll need replacing), the skylight, as well as the timing chain (not sure how much this usually costs), but what else do we need to watch for and is $800 a good deal?

Again, we don't mind the work involved in fixing her up, we just want to know what to expect.

Thanks!!

P.S. We will be full-timers.

Kady0590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #2

Picture....

Click image for larger version

Name:	531680_10200131626831657_1843725788_n.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	35162

Old 03-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
How much will it cost? Probably all of it.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
How much will it cost? Probably all of it.
All of it?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
What is the chassis? Dodge or Chevy? Engine?
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yep. All of it. Just empty every pocket.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
What is the chassis? Dodge or Chevy? Engine?
I'm going today... I will write down all the questions I need to ask and what I need to look at and bring them back here. I don't really know anything more than what I said quite yet. But I want to be armed with knowledge and questions. I know this is a risky thing to do, but I want to consider it.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Yep. All of it. Just empty every pocket.
So it'll be very expensive to fix these few things? What else is there that I should consider. Sorry, I don't really know much. I just want to do it right.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
You will spend 4 to 5k conservative on your RV adventure first year, double that on a new coach.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #10

Quote:
You will spend 4 to 5k conservative on your RV adventure first year, double that on a new coach.
I will spend that much on what exactly?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Insurance, license plates, repairs, gas, propane, food, fees, stuff not needed ect. Buy it and you will find out for yourself. What ever you think it will cost, it will be more. It will probably cost you all your extra money, so all of it.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a 75 same color, different floor plan. My hunting and fishing rig.On a Dodge chassis, 360 cu inch. Ran great, pulled a 18' IO boat. everything worked new tires and brakes. Got $3000 for it in 2000. Check for water leaks around the roof line and across the seams in roof. Some of the Tioga had saggig floors. If you find rot in any of the wood look for a different rig. No spare tire, the front and rear wheels are different. Mine was built in Sunnyside WA.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mainly look out for water damage-bulges in the wall/ceiling. And for you only in the South west-look for uv damage outside. Brittle plastic/rubber. Side note: Who ever is going to SUNH please bring real mexican food. There is none in the whole state.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Insurance, license plates, repairs, gas, propane, food, fees, stuff not needed ect. Buy it and you will find out for yourself. What ever you think it will cost, it will be more. It will probably cost you all your extra money, so all of it.
I do realize the costs involved in full-timing. We've been gearing up for this for a while. I was hoping to get answers regarding this particular rig.