Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW GUSRENTIT,

The Bluebird I posted was $20,000, not higher. Thought people would just find it a blast. It is original inside. The guy who owns Atkins buys most of his MHs down South and brings them here to sell. Should look at his website. I live in MI and see a lot of used MHs and RVs that do not have rust on them. Many have sat in barns out of the weather and away from the salted roads and are just fine. Just have to look.

I also cannot afford the $100,000 to $500,000 for a MH and will be buying used. I think most of the new units have way too much on them. I mean, it's camping right, not Holiday Inn. I don't like leather in a house, in my car, and don't want it in my MH. Other people prefer that and can afford it so they should have it.

Just want a comfortable clean place to live when I go full timing in 3 years. This is not a cheap lifestyle and there are all different levels like everything in life but those who can afford the higher priced rigs have every right to them.

Man, I wish you luck and happiness with your rig and how you want to travel/camp. We will be staying at CGs because that is what interests us but will also boondock since I want to try that. May become habit forming and yes, I plan to stay at Wahlmart too.

We have a lot to learn and hope to meet some of the great people we have met on this forum. Be Happy, you have a nice rig and a wonderful lifestyle to look forward to. Do it your way but please understand that we have our way too and will exercise that right.

Peace and Happy New Year Lynne

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #44

I'm sorry for speaking so harshly last night, it has been one of those weeks. Everyone in the family is sick, the wifes Ford explorer died 25 miles from home in the snow and -4*F and wind @ 8 PM. I could not get it on the dolly, as it is AWD, had to have it towed, they wanted $800 to replace the in tank fuel pump, I said I would come get it, by then the shop was closing, and I can not get it till Monday. In the mean time it's been so cold around here that the dogs can not go out for more than 4 or 5 minutes, so they are kennel bound, and that puts them on edge too, so we have 7 bitchy dogs, that want to kill each other just for the exercise. Two goats that make fun of the dogs for being locked up, so the dogs bark at them all day long, and the goats hang out just to piss off the dogs. Fun on the ranch. Hope 2015 gives us a break! Happy New Year, Gus

Old 01-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUSRENTIT View Post
Since it's almost the end of the year for me, I have one hell of a good question, why are all the "potentially" good RV's for sale in all the RUST STATES? Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Florida, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Maryland, etc., not one yet has been found in Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada? Why are they all found and for sale in rust bucket states? Just ponder that one! In Illinois, Michigan and ohio, you can buy a rusted BlueBird for 3 times the cost of a 3 bedroom house, could it be a escape vehicle?
Glad you found an Apollo. Should be decent. But as far as shopping location, that is probably more just a patience thing. I shopped for 3 years, 2 years of that, specifically looking for a Revcon. Generally speaking, the Midwest is a black hole for RVs. Most of your camping types live in the south and west. In the 2 years that I shopped, there was only 1 other Revcon for sale in the Midwest. All the rest were either south or out west. Needless to say, I did get discuraged in my search, but eventually found one. It was only the second one available in the 2 years that I was shopping.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
, the Midwest is a black hole for RVs.
Aint that the truth
Old 01-01-2015, 07:19 PM   #47

Glad you found something you can like, but you missed a good one that was mentioned several times. The old GMCs just keep cranking along. Great community and no orphan parts.

Good Luck with the Apollo

Matt
Old 01-01-2015, 10:46 PM   #48

I did look at the GMC's and several others that I just loved. The GMC had two strikes against it, FWD and curved glass. Priced out several motorhomes' curved windshields, most all came in @ over $2500 per side, on my van I go through 2 a year, but insurance pays it, not sure that would be the case for a MH. The GMC looked great, but had little options as to what changes I would be able to do to it, and none of the FWD models can handle rough back country roads, or forest service roads, that are on the edge of 4X4 roads. Also on the GMC's whether a 405 or 455 of that time can get any better than maybe 7 MPG, with a 3 speed non overdrive, non lock up. Almost broke my rule on the windshield, with a 290 Travco, when I heard that there may be a way to retrofit a flat windshield, but then also found out that the windshield/front cab/roof area are kind of twisty, twisty is not a good idea around glass. Since I wanted a real strong metal cage, holding things together, I was left with the Sportscoach, the Vogue, and the Apollo, I found 3 Sportscoachs, one in town, it took 10 days to get the guy selling it to answer the phone, and when he did, he just had sold it, another was in NV, and the guy refused to answer any questions, at all, the third was in Wy., and the price was a bit high, with the seller stating it needed TLC and lots of work. I found a Vogue, that I fell in love with in town, asides from the guy being a jerk, about price, (it had been sitting in a parking lot for 8 or 9 yrs, and he thought, that my offer of $1500, was way low) and he did not have a title for it. So then came the Apollo, even though 26' was on the short end, I could deal with it, the M500 chassis is not overly extended or overloaded, it's like new on the inside, and the outside can clean up nice, no rust anywhere, and it's complete, and gave $1K for it. Once I get it home I will redo the interior to fit the wife and I, plus 8 dogs, to travel the country. The drivetrain will most likely end up being swapped for a 1997 Cummins 5.9 with allison 2200HS six speed double overdrive, most likely both axles will be swapped out for more modern stuff and better gear ratios. I'm shooting for around 20+MPG @ 65 MPH. So I did listen to all the advice that was given me, some was great, if I was willing to spend a lot of money, to get from point A to point B, and a place to sleep while getting 7 MPG, not something I was willing to do, others were into looks or gadgets gimmicks, and frills, that I have no use for, heck I use a flip phone. I wanted something solid, that can go off road if need be, and get fair MPG, not looking to drag race any Honda to the next red light, and if I'm too slow, just pass me. Solid comfort and endurance, self contained for at least 2 weeks at a time. The Apollo, has 2 50 gal. fuel tanks, a 2 Cyl. 4KW Onan, an overhead AC with heat, hot water, fridge, stove/w oven, full bath, furnace, it's all fiberglass on the outside, steel cage, and solid insulation in between, and a aluminum belly pan. All that for $1K, by the time I'm done, I will have another $2500 into it, so for a little bit of work and $3500, I have a house that will go anywhere @ any time, at a fair price. We be happy! Wishing all a Happy New Year, and may it be a great one!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:00 AM   #49

Actually the problem with the GMC on back country road is traction. There is not enough weight on the front axle compared to the total weight of the vehicle. I've not ever heard of an issue with the windshields breaking or popping out. One could have run into ground clearance problems if the roads were really that bad.

BTY, just a little trivia: Revcon bought out Apollo in 1985. Not many Apollos were built after that. The interiors took on the Revcon look and construction methods.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #50

Well, that's great info. I was not saying that the GMC would pop out windshiels, just the cost of windshields on many motorhomes is so high, that it would be a high added yearly cost. I'm into as low an operating cost as possible. I had no idea about Revcon buying out Apollo. Thanks Gus
Old 01-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #51

I still think if you want an rv that is built to last, you simply put one of those metal overseas cargo containers onto the back of a commercial diesel Mac truck and then modify it as you like into the ultimate, bullet proof, 40 ft motor home.

"So, it is with the utmost excitement that I share this idea with you. And, the idea is constructing a home using old steel shipping containers."
http://www.thegreenestdollar.com/200...ing-container/

"All of those images are from ContainerCity.com, which is the website for Urban Space Management, a group of builders in London who are building entire communities, schools, and farmer’s markets using old freight containers."

Cost efficient as well "Well, after digging around online this weekend, it seems as if the average is $1,500 to $3,000 each. And, that’s for shipping crates that are 40 ft long x 8 ft wide x 8 ft tall."

You can then outfit it with whatever you need from local flee markets and house sales. And don't forget an eco toilet with composting accessories.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #52

Did give that a thought early on, but two things got in the way, the wife and the weight. Also the overall cost, $3000 for the truck, $3000 for the container, $3000 for the fit out, $3000 for the camo paint, $10 for the chew and a spit can, $10 for used overalls, I can make this list forever.
GUS
Old 01-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #53

Sounds like you got a good deal and have a plan.

How in the world do you go through two windshields a year? Do you replace them instead of cleaning them? I've lived in Colo since '74 and have logged fairly high miles on our sand-slewn winter roads; around 30k/yr, and have only replaced the windshield once on a couple vehicles.
I doubt full-timers would need to replace an RV windshield more than once every 10yrs, if even that often.
The GMC windshields run ~800ea. The main reason for replacing them is fogging around the edges, but it takes years for that to occur.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #54

Hey 429, good to hear that you are in Colorado too! I drive about 3K miles a month on my van, the wife does 3K miles a month too. I-25 and dirt road to the house, pit the heck out of them, with the motorhome we will be doing a bunch of driving too. We are planning on driving the RV, several days a week, across the country, and I'm sure State Farm will go for a $300 windshield easier than a $2500+ one. You mean you can clean windshields? I always have Elite Glass replace them, they never mentioned cleaning them,,,,, LOL
BTW, I'm just West of Pueblo West.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gus,

Once my DH and I get our rig, I may get in contact with you about the dry docking life style. We need to get the rig and get used to it and how it functions. I am learning a lot here but know getting in the thing and learning it will take time.

Once we get used to that we plan on doing some boon docking to get off the main flow and having some truly quiet time.

Sounds like you have a menagarie at home with all the critters. Would love to see pictures of your MH when you get it. Best of luck with the TLC and hope it performs the way you want it to.

Have a very happy 2015, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #56

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Wow, thats a tall order, Low cost, won't rattle apart, and a high GVWR. If you look at most of the old MH's you mention they are maybe 20 to 30 yrs old ? just the fact they made it this far would be an testament to their construction, and the owners out there probably will chime in.
I think you need the "RV KIT in a Boxbox truck)" like mine.

the truck is a 94 Ford F700 (20 years old) 32,000 GWVR weighs 14000 completed with bath room.
the Box is a 24 foot 1989 U-Hual box ALL Aluminum construction Very sound.
the build was started in 2011 and it was used the first 3 years without the bathroom. I'm a big guy so mine has a big bed and big shower to suit me.

The best part of building one your self is that you only add items and features you want and NONE that you don't want.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote