Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #1

Lots of work

We purchased a 1993 Champion Telstar motorhome. It needs a lot of work.
1. We are trying to get the generac generator working. We are having a problem getting the generator to keep running. It starts, runs for a few seconds, then dies, unless you keep holding the start button. We are going to check the fuel system.
2. We are also having trouble with the vehicle air conditioning. Switches from vent to defrost whenever I accelerate. I think it is a vacuum issue.
3. The cruise control is rather sporatic. Sometimes it works and then it doesn't.
4. When we are on the road, it gets very hot at the rear of the RV. We added a small AC unit, a 5000 watt inverter and a second house battery bank (just for this AC). We decided that we wanted to leave the original house battery bank alone and add this second battery bank as a seperate system. We bought a Balmar Digital Duo Charge, but are not sure how to wire it. We have a start battery, the original house battery bank, and now a second battery bank. We don't know if we should connect this second battery bank to the vehicle alternator or to the original house battery bank.
5. Last (for now) there is an electrical short in the body. You get little tingles when you touch the body.

Help!!! Any suggestions, comments or advice will be greatly appreciated.
dbouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #2

1. The pilot jets are clogged. Disassemble and clean.
2. there is a vacuum leak. Most systems have a vacuum canister just for that reason. If yours is broke or missing, get a new one. If you can't, or they're expensive, use a piece of 2-1/2" (or 3") pvc pipe. Glue and cap both ends. Get a vacuum one way valve from the auto parts store for one end, and a vacuum nipple for the other end.
3. Start by checking the brake pedal switch. That will stop CC.
4. They make battery switches for that. Charge all, run on individuals. I forgot what they're called.. but someone will chime in with it.
5. I get tingly all over too when I get in my motorhome! hahahaha. Ok, you have a bad ground between the motor, battery, and chassis.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #3

thats why we got the Balmar Digital Duo Charge. its supposed to act as the switch, but automatically. we are just not sure how to wire it
Old 07-28-2015, 03:36 PM   #4

#2 problem "fixed"

Rather than tear everything apart looking for a mysterious vacuum leak (there are vacuum hoses running everywhere, many into places where mere mortals cannot go), we merely disconnected the plunger that operates the vents. This is located under a panel on the dash. So now when I accelerate and the vacuum disappears, the vents will not close. Our main issue is always having air conditioning coming out of the vents. If I want defrost, the defrost will still operate, but the vents will still be open. This is OK. In extreme cases, when I want all the air at the defrost, I can remove the panel and manually close the vents. This may be "Southern" engineering, but it works for me!