Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

LP tank

Since I bought my Silver Eagle as a project a few months ago I have never had any gas in the lp tank, so I do not know if I have any leaks or if anything needing LP works.
Is there any way to transfer gas from a Bar B Q tank to the RV tank?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It's possible. You would need to shut off the tank, then disconnect the fittings. Now you need fittings and a hose to go from the small tank to the RV regulator.

There are products (Extend-a-Stay and Stay -a-While) which allow you to plumb your RV so you can use your RV tank and a portable tank too. Optionally you can get one which allows you to add an outside grill. This may be a more cost effective way to go and you keep the extra benefits. I use a small tank all the time, much easier to use and fill rather than uprooting everything to go get propane.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

You my be able to remove the regulator from your coach tank and hook directly to a BBQ tank ; if there is a flex hose in line from the tank to the coach. Check with local/state law-makers to see if replacing/re-testing the tank is required in your area. No sence puting LP in the tank if it has to be drained for replacement.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Actually, it takes a high pressure pump to transfer propane from tank to tank and the donor tank would have to have a liquid discharge port (which portable tanks do not). What you can do is install a tee fitting designed for the job, such as Extend-a-stay, between the tank valve and the regulator. Just hook up the external tank to the tee with the main tank's valve closed, then open the valve on the external tank.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not recommend trying to transfer gas from a portable tank to the RV's.

Rather try this: Google: Propane #####

Where ##### is your zip code.

Look for the kind of propane company that is a wholesaler, These companies will have big trucks that they send out to retaillers.

Call them.. Odds are they have a technician who can completly inspect your system for you, show you everything you need to know, and fill your tank.

Odds are even better that if they don't have such a technician.. They know who does (Since they provide them with the gas)
Old 04-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Really it does sound like rather that try to get all fancy with using a secondary tank, it might be just less trouble to get the system pressure tested. You should do that every couple of seasons anyway. Is it because the unit isn't mobile yet that you are looking to do it another way?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
Really it does sound like rather that try to get all fancy with using a secondary tank, it might be just less trouble to get the system pressure tested. You should do that every couple of seasons anyway. Is it because the unit isn't mobile yet that you are looking to do it another way?
it's mobil, the rv place is 5-6miles away, last time I was there they suggested I buy a couple gallons so they could pressure test it for leaks, don't know if that is free or not, forgot to ask.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The Extend-a-Stay set ups, which allow you to connect a portable 5 gal propane tank to your system are a bit costly, in the $65-$75 range. They're great if you think you may need one in the future, not so much just to test your LP system.

Cheaper to run down to the local LP filling station and have a couple/three gallons put in. This is adequate to test your appliance and lines.

LP systems are fairly bomb-proof, if the coach has not suffered actual damage. The appliances may be toast, but chances are good they are ok as well.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #9

Capt John & Officer Sun

If the tank has leaked out and oxygen entered it needs to be purged by a professional propane place. Have it inspected. Mine's rusted but I use an extend a stay just to play with (leaks).

Riegel 14th
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a cheeter hose ..for getting fuel into my Bronco truck it connects to the barbq tank and will drain into the main tank..cost was about 35 bucks ..but I agree drive down to the supply plase and then sit somewhere and smell for leeks ..NO SMOKING!!

Tags
tank