Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #1

Main Flux Capacitor- 1985 Pace Arrow

Does this look like the original power unit from the RV, or could someone have installed a new one? It appears to be attached to the back of the other one and has one main feed from it to the side of the box in front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0755.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	14483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0756.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	14484  

jedmundson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #2

This picture might help. The yellow cord on the right loops around to a standard wall outlet box the has the back cord that goes back into the front panel. Just does not seem that the cord should be bouncing around in the back of the RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0754.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	14485  
Old 10-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #3

I am certain it is a replacement. I am not knowledgeable on RV parts but when I looked up the patent number it was filed in 1994 so the label was printed after that.
DrScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #4

Looks like its a new power converter mounted on the original power distribution center. Looks like you have the original progressive dynamics distribution panel ac/dc, they have replaced the old power converter.

We will be doing the same thing fairly soon, contacted the company about upgrade options and they had pdfs and pictures of what has been done to yours.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Someone has added a new one.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #6

Thanks, I hate to sound ignorant but a new what? There are two boxes on mounted to the back of the other. What are the functions of the two different boxes and do you think I should abandon the wire and house plug connection and rewire with a direct connection? Would anyone happen to have a wiring diagram of what all this stuff is? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
That's a progressive dynamics 3-stage 60amp smart charger. Is there a little pendant around somewhere that has "Charge Wizard" and a button on it? If not, you can buy that and add it, it allows you to manually over-ride the charge state the converter is in.

It's been wired into your power station to replace the P.O.S factory converter that originally came with the unit.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #8

No pendant that I can see. Is this unit responsible for charging the House batteries?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #9

A little correction ---
In order for the PD9100 series (RV Power Converter/Chargers) to function as a 3 stage smart charger you are required to have the PD9105 (PD9105, PD9105G Charge Wizard) Charge Wizard option.

Now the later model PD9200 Series (RV Power Converter/Chargers) did provide 3 stage charging out of the box. The pendant (PD92201 Remote Pendant) allows additional control of the charging function.

As you can see just some suttle but important differences.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
I am glad i came to this thread. I have one of the 80 amp models and was wondering why it wasn't cutting the voltage and amp load to the battery's. I have that little wizard thing but hadn't used it as i was with the opinion that it was a automatic controller. Now i need to find it in all this junk! It baked the battery bank without it! never thought to check the manual all the way through...Must be getting old or something.....
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #11

Wallaby Dan - Sorry to hear about the battery bank problem however that is why I posted the information. A PD9100 series only puts out a continious 13.6VDC without the PD9105 Charge Wizard option. Thats why I bought the PD9200 series when I upgraded as the 3 stage charging function was already built in and enabled.

Dave
Old 10-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #12

Thanks for all this help. I read through the 9100 manual and the Wizard description and from what I understand the Wizard increases the voltage to the low batteries to help get them charged quicker. What I am trying to get is a schematic of the wiring concept of how all this stuff hooks together. I started this project just wanting to replace the wood piece on the top of the bunk. Now I am thinking about cleaning up the wiring and insulating around the generator box for noise reduction.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
9100 series.. add the charge wizard, $25 at camping world. 9200 series has it built in BUT you can buy a remote pendant.. to manually switch which mode it's in and to see which mode it's in.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #14

As far as wiring diagrams of your Pace Arrow, you would have to contact Fleetwood and see if they have them. Now if you lookling for generic concepts then :
Do you have a generator? Size?
Do you have 1 or 2 AC's?
If 2 AC's, do you have a front/rear AC selector switch?
Did they upgrade the AC/DC distribution panel when the replaced the converter?
Are you only wanting normal DC distribution or AC and DC?
Inverter?
Front/Rear TV?

The net result is, drawings depend on what features you have.

Dave

One possible combination
Note: Ignore AC ground connections in this drawing. Even I learn things along the way. AC grounds connected this way will result in the GFI breaker tripping.

Other fancy possibilities (heavy on the term possibility):