Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Talking Making Curtains

I have an 82 Winnebago, 21'. The curtains were original when I got it. The curtains that pull around windows of the overhead bed area and the one that blocks out the cab section for privacy in the coach body have disintegrated. I would rather not use the tiny hooks that are left on the channel as that would mean installing a lot of snaps to the new curtains so they could snap onto the snaps on the hooks.
Any ideas? As low cost as possible. Would it be possible to use another type of material that could be adhered to the upper windows and pulled off in the day, something like the stuff used on windshields to keep cars cool.

There are a lot more issues with this wonderful rig, and I am a newbie. But maybe I could start with this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Try going to an RV dealership or an RV show and look at different makes of RV's. That may give you several different ideas. You may find something you like. Won't hurt and give you somewhere to go too. I love going to the Tampa, Fla. RV show and finding things that are different that I can do myself to make mine a little different.
Good Luck in finding what you need.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The mechanism for attaching the curtains in your rig may be different, but do you have an "eye" kind of deal that travels along the curtain track? Something with a hole in it?

If not, you can probably replace what you have with with something like Sliding Eye Carrier Small

and then just clip these hooks onto the top edge of your selected curtain

Amazon.com: JR Products 05205 Stainless Steel Party Light Hanger: Automotive

No snaps to sew, and best of all the curtains come down and go up quickly for washing.
I sewed new front windshield drapes for our Class A with these clip-on hooks (I found mine in the drapery hardware section of our local big-box hardware store). Quick and easy!

Allison

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Another do it yourself projuect for windows is to buy a roll or two of Reflectix (that silver bubble wrap type of insulation) http://www.homedepot.com/buy/buildin...ion-20960.html
and cut/tape pieces to fit your windows. I used tiny pieces of Velcro to adhere the Reflectix to the window frame, but that was not totally satisfactory. I believe I'll try tacky putty next time.

I did this for only the windows on the driver's side of the coach, since the awning shades the passenger side. It's neat stuff.

Allison

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For lots of vintage RV parts, also check out Vintage Trailer Sales for th eparts.

Ken
Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #6

curtains

we are in the middle of doing this on our m/h we bought eclipse curtains from waly world and the wife cut them down and made them the right size they have a insulating backing in them already that's what they state and they are pretty heavy . you can get them up 84 inches long I think so you can get two or three out of one ,there is quite a selection of fabrics and colors .

best wishes frank, cricket and harley the dog
Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I do have little attachments that slide along the curtain track but are not the same as the one pictured on the website. These have circles in the front to receive snaps on the curtains.
Thanks a lot for the web sites you gave, they are very interesting.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:09 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Great idea. I will check that out.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'll look that up. Thank you for the tip.