Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Improved RV Steering and Handling

2002 Damon Daybreak 35'
Everything else is stock
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #16
A lot of good advice on that page but I would get the bellcrank here:

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: SuperSteer P3032 Bell Crank

I only needed to replace the one on the driver side. The one on the passenger side can be adjusted to get the play out. The one on the driver side can be adjusted too but the bushings are more than likely shot and will not hold.

1990 Mallard Class A
tedlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:31 AM   #17
i agree i replaced the drivers note the GM spec. for side to side is .002 inch im a machinist on the passenger side i got bushings ($70) and bored them to size
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #18

Late to the party. I have a 1989 Sprinter special edition 28' class a. 454 P30 chasis. I've had it about a year now and love it
Usroverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #19
After spending some time under the RV, I couldn't find anything that seem loose or had a problem with on the steering components. Pressed for time, I took our RV to a truck shop and they found out it was the steering box that was "sticking" as they called it. I drove it back home, and what a difference. The steering is nice and firm and I actually drove home with one hand. That was 100% improvement. Next up, shocks, front tires and a track bar. And my front windshield keeps popping out, currently working on a solution.
OneHolyCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #20
Did the Sprinters come with a winegard antenae standard or was this a general owner thing? I have one on mine and I want to make sure its cable capable before I plug in at a campground. I don't want to mess up my system or the parks
Usroverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #21
I have an 89 mallard sprinter 21' my engine ac dosnt work either but I'm sure it's just needs to be retro fitted from r12 to r134a but other then that mallards rock!!! Hope your enjoying yours
1989mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How come no Pictures???
The windshield problem is just not on Mallards I have a 82 Pace Arrow and mine has that problem on one corner but hasn't poped out..
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #23
You are not alone! I too recently bought a Mallard motor home, it is a 1988 34ft. 310 basement model with 21000 miles. I bought it from a friend that had bought it new. It has always been garaged and is in cherry condition.
I have all of the manuals, but still can not figure out all of its features. IRV2 is a great place to get your questions answered. A lot of good people on this site, willing to help us newbies.
gregcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:57 AM   #24
battery to wiring harness

Does anyone have a wiring schematic for a Mallard 310 with ford chassis. I need to make sure that my batteries are wired correctly. Harness to battery.
gregcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:45 AM   #25
Howdy, y'all!!

Not sure if this thread is dead, and I'm kinda hoping that it isn't. I just bought an old Mallard, and moved into it three weeks ago. I have had no RV experience prior to this, and it has been a crash course (literally, although the crashes have been minor so far.) I'm really learning a lot, and quickly but there are so many things that I still don't understand.

First, my rig was advertised as a 1992 by the fella I bought it from on Craigslist. I'm sure that he had only purchased it to fix it up and sell it, so I doubt that even he knew for sure what year it is. I looked up the VIN number and it seems to be a 1990? I think the VIN is the more reliable source, right? :shrug:

I saw that users Elecmusic and 1989Mallard have non-working dash A/C. I have the same problem and my mechanic noted that it would be REALLY expensive to convert, so I'm leaving that one alone. The roof A/C works great off the generator or shore power, so I'm not worried about it. We're in Texas so the A/C is more important than the heat -- which works off the dash, but our furnace is not working. This is problematic, heading into the winter months. I had a guy come out and look at it, and he tested the furnace circuit board and found that it was bad, so he's replacing that. Only he doesn't know how long it will take to find that particular part.

Also took notice of the steering conversation, because I just thought that driving an RV was that much more difficult! Are you saying that I don't have to white-knuckle everywhere, and should only have to deal with the wind. Because one of my two :ahem: mishaps, was due to an extra narrow construction zone, on a hill, with a left hand curve, gusting wind, an oncoming semi, an unsecured baggage door, and a concrete barrier placed just a *little* too close. Fortunately, all I lost was the baggage door, and there was no other damage. Unfortunately, I've heard that it would be nearly impossible to replace. Anybody got a spare they want get rid of for super cheap?

I saved my favorite issue for last, because it's my very favorite thing. I mentioned that I had never had any RV experience before, so I didn't really know how the inside of the coach was powered. When we were getting the walk through, the previous owner turned on the generator to demonstrate the A/C and then all the lights and everything worked and we were impressed. What I didn't know is that the house battery is supposed to handle all the electrical needs inside the coach while the genny is off. The genny and/or shore power are supposed to charge up these batteries so that you don't have to run the genny all the time, and you only need it for major draws like the A/C. Well, if we aren't plugged in or running the genny, we have no juice. The guy that is looking at the furnace did a cursory check to verify that the fuses are all good, and the breakers are all working, but he didn't have the means to test the battery (he was mobile.) So at some point I have to pull the house battery and take it to get it tested (it looks pretty new, though, so I have no idea what the problem might be.) Did I mention that the RV is also our only vehicle?

I have learned that being a full-time RVer is like being a homeowner, combined with a bit of shade-tree mechanic. I'm learning a lot as I go along, and talking to as many people as I can. This forum has been an amazing resource, and I look forward to participating in my conversations in the future.

May the road rise up to meet you.
cheojackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:30 AM   #26
Sold my Mallard

Yes sold my Mallard. But am looking again for another class A. I do not get on here much but we'll try to help if I can when I can. I had no problem with the steering on my old Mallard. I did install a higher grade tires then needed was a little more harder ride but steered fine at highway speeds. I was going to install steering stablizer but never got to it. I did have two AGM house battery's plus the engine battery. So I could run the furnace all night long with out problem when not using shore power. K well. Happy trails to all. Peace

Elecmusic is offline   Reply With Quote