Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Manual Parking brake Question

on my 93 winnebago based on the p series chevy chassis I have the foot pedal type of emergercy brake. This pulls a cable that goes to a divider under the drivers side frame rail to pull both back rear brake shoes.

The main cable from the actuator goes through this divider and on to the drivers side rear. The passenger side cable is attached to the divider with an adjustment stud.

My question to this brain trust is what pulls the divider? I can't see what is designed to pull it-- no crimp lug-nothing. I think everything is working as far as I can tell but I like to know how stuff works. Thanks

KAttkisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
On the P-Series chassis, the footbrake was supposed to be only an actuator and nothing else. When depressed, it would indicate that you could now deploy the leveling system. The actual brake cable would not do anything and when the coach was put into "park" the auto-brake would apply around the axle.

If your foot pedal brake is actually attached to the brakes, I would be surprised.

I had my p-series chassis (1996 Southwind) for 16 years and never had an actual foot brake.

NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for your reply. My camper is only 8K in weight(22') long. It is my understanding from the literature that they did not get fancy with the parking/emergercy brakes until GVWR got up above 14K.

Mine is as stated-- not much different than a c series pickup.
KAttkisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
The ones I have seen have two cables that are attached to the rear brakes. They're both attached to the cable from the pedal with crimped on ferrules that fit in a slotted steel stamping on a stud on the end of the cable.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote

brake, manual