Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HB 668 was introduced into the Maryland Assembly this week to re-define Historic Vehicle to include Motorhomes. They had to make a concesion and changed the age from 20 years to 25 years in light of the current budget crunch, but I think this is a good start. Contact you state representitives and ask them to support this bill.

http://mlis.state.md.us/2012rs/bills/hb/hb0668f.pdf
dgapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #16

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
Ya know, I'm from Florida, so don't have a dog in this Maryland hunt, but as a politically active citizen, it does my heart good to see our system of government working, and being responsive to the desires of it's citizenry.

Great job DGA!
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
See, this is this difference between Maryland politics and Illinois politics. In Illinois you'd have to pay off your state representative to get him to introduce a bill, you know, along the lines of our former "Governor" Blago trying to sell off Obama's senate seat to the highest bidder. This would never happen here without some politician benefiting from it.
Btw, I grew up in Towson, MD.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #18

Michigan does not exclude motorhomes. One local couple has historic plates on their bus conversion. They head off to Florida with it most winters. Those plates have just got to save them a bunch of renewal fees.

Since the cost is $30 for 10 years or with an authentic plate of correct year $35 which is valid until the vehicle is sold, transferred, scrapped, or modified. ( so none expiring)
With an antique vehicle aren't you always heading out to a show or gathering? Police around here have better things to do than question historic plates.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #19

In Washington they are trying to get a bill through to do away with historic vehicle plates because people are registering old cars and using them as daily drivers. I have three and pay classic car insurance on all of them. Plus they have to be stored in a locked garage for the insurance to be in effect. I don't think it's fair for me to pay for car plates when I go by the rules. I know a lot of people who have a lot more classics than I do in show condition so this is causing a lot of heartburn for us.

One more thing. Most people don't put very many miles on an rv no matter what year it is so that's not a good reason as far as I'am concerned. This is just another way people cheat the system.

Won't get any sympathy from me. Rant over.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need help from anyone with Historic plates

Ok, our bill is making it's way through committee. There is concern about the fiscal impact of the bill. As all are aware, Maryland his having monney problems! In any case, they are concerned that there will be a mass change from the Class M tags to the historic tags, and that the difference in fees collected will cause problems with the State being able to pay it's bills. Since I know a number of older MHs are already running Historic plates, Rep Kelly Schultz has asked if you could email her a copy of your registration to show it is already happening and there will be a minimal impact on the state revenue from this change. Please email a copy of your registration to Kelly.Schulz@house.state.md.us, and indicate your support for HB668.

Thanks,
David Schober
dgapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
Ok, our bill is making it's way through committee. There is concern about the fiscal impact of the bill. As all are aware, Maryland his having monney problems! In any case, they are concerned that there will be a mass change from the Class M tags to the historic tags, and that the difference in fees collected will cause problems with the State being able to pay it's bills. Since I know a number of older MHs are already running Historic plates, Rep Kelly Schultz has asked if you could email her a copy of your registration to show it is already happening and there will be a minimal impact on the state revenue from this change. Please email a copy of your registration to Kelly.Schulz@house.state.md.us, and indicate your support for HB668.

Thanks,
David Schober

If the change in the titling of a few hundred old motor homes causes a state to not be in a position to pay it's bills it deserves to go broke.....
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can not speak to MD law but I know in many states, including Michigan where I have read the book... As someone said, Historic plates are for "Limited use" Parades, antique car rallies, and things like that, NOT for every day use...

Of course if you only plan on driving the Motor Home in parades..............
Old 03-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #23

I didn't see this thread when I started mine:

Idea for Vintage RVs and Antique tags

Virginia has limited use on antique plated vehicles:
  • Participation in antique car club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events.
  • Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, selling the vehicle or trailer, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence.
  • Carrying or transporting passengers, personal effects or other antique motor vehicles being transported for show purposes.

But it gets you out of the need for inspections (both safety and emissions) and the need to renew plates.

So my great idea was to make every camping trip with your Vintage RV a Vintage RV Rally - if you are planning to go somewhere, set up a signup online for people who want to display their Vintage RVs at the location you are going to and print up a flyer and maybe a registration sheet that goes with it just in case someone decides to check on your antique plate usage.
blaster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #24

Doesn't look like this topic was completed but Maryland now allows historic tags on motorhomes 25+ years old and no state inspection is required.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:39 PM   #25

Here on the South Coast of Mississippi we call them Antique Tags. Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Motor homes and Travel trailers, 25 years old. No limit on how often you use it. No inspection. $50 fee (I think) but it is for the life of the vehicle, one time only, no re-registration.

I love it...

Tags
motorhome