Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #1

Master Cylinder Cross Reference

So the master cylinder went out on us this week. Found some dripping oil on the garage floor and voila... traced it up to a leaky master cylinder.

I tried to cross reference the numbers off the casting at a local auto parts store that deals in medium and heavy duty truck parts, and no luck. An internet search didn't reveal any cross references either... and the Freightliner Custom Chassis dealer (they carry parts for this particular Oshkosh chassis) wouldn't respond to my emails...

I ended up finding a guy on this forum that cross referenced his casting number (same as mine) with a part number from another manufacturer, but he never reported back to the forum whether it was a match or not after he received it. I had no other options, so I took a chance and ordered the same master cylinder he did. Ebay... $210... It was a perfect match, so I decided I'd post the info here in case anyone else came across the same issue.

My old master cylinder casting ID's:
2232543 (bendix part number)
3493 (some other bendix part number)
44.45 (bore size)

Replacement master cylinder part number:
Centric 130.79025

-cheers

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #2

Thanks, I think I'm going to need this.

I have links to many 2232543 replacements (plus the Centric). How would one tell which is appropriate? They have different bore sizes, bigger reservoirs etc.

I kinda think its one-size-fits-all, although I vaguely recall reading that a smaller bore size means a softer pedal. Make sense?

Old 10-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Thanks, I think I'm going to need this.

I have links to many 2232543 replacements (plus the Centric). How would one tell which is appropriate? They have different bore sizes, bigger reservoirs etc.

I kinda think its one-size-fits-all, although I vaguely recall reading that a smaller bore size means a softer pedal. Make sense?
I didn't really know for sure, but I took a chance on the Centric model and it appears to be a direct replacement. The casting is pretty much identical, the reservoir is totally identical, and the identical bore size is cast right into the side of the unit.

We tested it out on a long weekend - 1500 mile trip up into New Hampshire and back to see the fall Foliage around Mount Washington... worked great. The pedal actually seemed a little easier to press, but I think it was due to having bled all the old fluid out of the lines. That stuff was nasty and dark colored... I suspect it had been in there for 22 years.

I also have heard that a smaller cylinder will make a softer pedal - but will use more travel. Yes... makes sense.

-cheers
Old 11-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #4

Note to all...after you've removed your master cylinder do NOT crank up and try to release the parking brake and turn the steering wheel. You'll pump your Dexron hydro fluid out on the ground SO fast.

We're in Camp Parking Lot at a brake shop trying to find a master cylinder. Piker mine turned out to be same as yours for my '93 HR.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:23 PM   #5

A PB-2234928 from powerbrake-drivetrain in Pensacola did the trick.

Kudos to Walts Brake and More in Ocala for searching all over north-central Florida trying to find one. Once we finally had it install took about 15 minutes.

And at that very instant the stop-light switch chose to die. Which we didn't know until futzing around a half-hour or so. Fortunately I had one to replace our obsolete switch.

The guys at Walts did great, also doing some other work all quickly at reasonable prices. We saw quite a few MHs come in for ordinary mainteance and repair. Fulltimers can get a 30A electric drop.

Walts Brake and More | Auto Repair | Truck Repair | RV Repair | Ocala Fl. 34475