Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mattress Replacement

We have a class "C" with the usual abnormal mattress in the rear. It has the corner cut off but we are more than willing to go with a normally square mattress but I have no idea where to find a 48 x 80 mattress. Any idea's?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
We have a class "C" with the usual abnormal mattress in the rear. It has the corner cut off but we are more than willing to go with a normally square mattress but I have no idea where to find a 48 x 80 mattress. Any idea's?
I visited two different stores until I found the correct "Comfort" mattress and had them build it for me, Stands about 14 inches tall with the 2" pillow top.
I actually like the R.V. bed over anything in my stick house.....

Jim

Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are trying to spend less than the actual value of the RV !!! (LOL) We don't, or at least haven't yet, spend a lot of time using it but I can only guess that the current mattress is as old as the RV ..... 27 years old. Spending a ton of $$ isn't a real plan for us. We may just end up putting some type of topper on it but we want to investigate all options.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #4

Smile

I ran into almost the same problem. I couldn't find any sheets to fit mine. I bought a twin size mattress (39 x 76) and every body has sheets for them. My original was 48 x 76. I will be traveling alone so the slightly smaller size doesn't make a difference.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #5

went through this last year bought my 1985 class c they had a house mattress wedged into the back corner. i did some research and finally bought
a mattress from foam factory bought a five inch x 46x 79 foam from their cushion/mattress section and put a two inch topper i had under it .
sleeps like a cloud, i slept on it last night and the dw thinks I'm touched but it sleeps as good as my select comfort that i paid too much for
ran less then $200 and they paid the shipping and they will put a mattress cover on of your choice for a little more
just something to ck on
happy traveling
Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #6

Try here: Deluxe Foam RV Mattress | MattressInsider.Com

We replaced the matt in our mh with one from these guys.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #7

Do yourself and your back a HUGE favor - go to Overstock.com: Online Shopping - Bedding, Furniture, Electronics, Jewelry, Clothing & more and order a 8 inch thick memory foam mattress in the appropriate size to fit your space - and if desired, use a sharp butcher knife to trim the corner as you wish - we have them in our home, and both RVs...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #8

Another option -- a 3 or 4 inch memory foam topper from Overstock cost about $100 -- easy to cut to size -- common upgrade to make std crappy OEM RV mattress suitable for sleeping.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:40 AM   #9
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
An electric knife will cut foam like butter.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
I have no idea how prevalent mattress makers are.. However, years ago we were traveling thru Texas on our way to do the Copper Canyon Tour in Mexico. We stayed for a couple of nights in El Paso where we met up with the rest of the folks on the tour. During our stay, we drove around town and saw this place that made regular and custom mattresses. We hated the mattress in our rig. Stopped by.. tried some out.. found one we really thought we would like.. but, the RV mattress was a different size than a "standard". Talked to the owner and he said "no problemo". Next day we had a custom temprapedic type mattress.. installed it and off we went for our tour.

Well, turns out that checking out a mattress and actually spending time on one are two different things. I won't go into the details.. but we didn't really like the mattress. TWO YEARS LATER we passed thru El Paso again and spoke to the owner and told him our problem. He said "No Problemo".. He took in the mattress.. and told us to try some of the other materials after we told him what we didn't like about the one he sold us. Well, we found one.. It was less "dinero" than the fancy one..

We didn't get a refund for the difference.. but.. we left without paying a "dimoero" and were happy campers from then on.

What did I learn? Couple of things about buying mattresses.. Also, mom and pop stores can be fantastic for personalized service.. and finally, if you need something custom, such as an oddly shaped mattress without paying an arm and a leg.. a small mattress manufacturer might just be the ticket.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra29 View Post
Hi Kendra here,a neophyte. I would just like to say that choosing a good deal of a mattress is one tough job. You have to stay focus in choosing that way you wont regret with whaat you just bought. Buying through Online Mattress Store Pittsburgh is something I didn't regret though,because not only did I get what I desired the most also have the most decent sleep ever in my life.
Spam?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Where???Spam??? In a can???
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #13

Pretty good looking for SPAM ! LOL
Old 09-26-2011, 06:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
Pretty good looking for SPAM ! LOL
And my avatar is really me.