Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #1

MH repaint?

This sorta goes against the usual "restoration" goals of some, but I've seen some pretty nice examples where an older MH has been repainted to blend in better with some of the later color/graphic styles. I know auto repainting is pretty costly - and would assume a quality paint upgrade for an older MH such as my '88 Winnie would be even more so - any one have knowledgeable info?

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I saw here on the board VEGASDAN got a quote for his 2001 Tradewinds and it was 26K for full body paint. Everybody said that was very high. I sure wouldn't spend that much and I'm sure Dan didn't.
Here is the thread, you can see what he is doing and read the comments.
Started renovation on Tradewinds
Dick

Old 01-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #3

we paid approx. $17,000.00 which included a multitude of things. we have been very happy with the job! www.precisionpaintingrv.com jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	2245   Click image for larger version

Name:	sandy oaks 09 009.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	2246  

beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're seriously considering getting our coach painted. Have read posts about some great cheap paint jobs available in Mexico ($5 - $9K) but that would not be an option for us. I've heard of a shop in NC near Raliegh that does good work. An IRV2 member, Blucrabbie, had his coach painted there and I saw his rig in Myrtle Beach....it looked nice. Also, many folks recommend an independent shop in Red Bay, AL that does some work for Tiffin but offers a good deal on full body paint jobs. Bill Plemmons RV in Rural Hall, NC does coaches.

Precision, of course, has a great reputation for doing nice work. I'd hoped to get mine done for $15 - $18K but would balk at anything above that. Our preference would be to keep a fairly simple color scheme with no more than three colors to keep the cost down. Frankly, I think many of the current FBP jobs are much too 'swirly' for my tastes.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #5

smlranger, the base price at precision includes 4 colors plus 3 coats of clear. jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
She's beautiful, Jim.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
What's it skinned with? Aluminum is really easy to repaint vs fiberglass. I repainted my camper for a couple hundred using Rustoleum Spray Paint.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a no-cost repaint option.

Just leave your rig parked for the day in any big city urban area and it will be "tagged" with all sorts of rattle can art when you return.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #9

Our old "Beast" is so ugly we're thinking of painting her camo to hide her! LOL!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjim View Post
smlranger, the base price at precision includes 4 colors plus 3 coats of clear. jim
I've recently corresponded with Jason at Precision. He has given us a preliminary estimate of $13,500 to paint our rig. Obviously, that estimate may change when they would actually see the coach. That includes only a primary color on the sides of the slide outs and painting the awning hardware to match the primary color. I'm just trying to decide if I want to take the rig to Indiana vs. trying to find a shop closer to me. I will say Precision seems to have their act together...Jason has answered all of my questions satisfactorily.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a 1994 Fleetwood Flair that had a big pink whoop de do graphics on the side. We took it to www.accentstripes.com in Orange county, Ca. They designed the new striping so that it hid any faded marks left after removing the original graphics. It came out so well that when we put it on the market a year later (to buy one with slides)we sold it for what we had paid for it within a week. As I recall the job cost about $3,000
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Here's a no-cost repaint option.

Just leave your rig parked for the day in any big city urban area and it will be "tagged" with all sorts of rattle can art when you return.
For devious sorts, not as unusual as we might think - owner could then file a claim for vandalism, and get a new paint job nearly free...

Back when I was motorcycling, read a story about a fella who worked in a store in a big city - he wanted a new MC, but couldn't afford one - so he bought an old beater that didn't even run. He then took it down to where he worked, and parked it right out front where he could easily see it as he worked. Sure enough, soon a motorist trying to park their car in the next space, knocked the bike over. The MC owner rushes out all frantic and arm waving as to how his darling bike had been severely damaged - and the vehicle driver, not wanting to damage his driving and insurance record, offers to settle the "damage" for cash - which the MC owner accepted.

According to the story, within a month- and LOTS of similar crashes - the guy had accumulated enough $$$ to pay CASH for a new bike...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We're seriously considering getting our coach painted. Have read posts about some great cheap paint jobs available in Mexico ($5 - $9K) but that would not be an option for us. I've heard of a shop in NC near Raliegh that does good work. An IRV2 member, Blucrabbie, had his coach painted there and I saw his rig in Myrtle Beach....it looked nice. Also, many folks recommend an independent shop in Red Bay, AL that does some work for Tiffin but offers a good deal on full body paint jobs. Bill Plemmons RV in Rural Hall, NC does coaches.

Precision, of course, has a great reputation for doing nice work. I'd hoped to get mine done for $15 - $18K but would balk at anything above that. Our preference would be to keep a fairly simple color scheme with no more than three colors to keep the cost down. Frankly, I think many of the current FBP jobs are much too 'swirly' for my tastes.
For that kind of money I think I would at least research having it done in Mexico. If you start a post with Mexico in the heading, I think you will find someone on the forum who has had it done there. Just a thought, Joe
Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
For that kind of money I think I would at least research having it done in Mexico. If you start a post with Mexico in the heading, I think you will find someone on the forum who has had it done there. Just a thought, Joe
Going to Mexico isn't an option, at any price.