Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #1

MH Starting

I turned on the chassis battery disconnect switch & had 12 volts showing on the gauge on the dash, but when I turned on the ignition key I got now dash lights or anything and when I tried to start the MH the gauge went to 0 and nothing. Tried several times and then I used the Emergency start switch and turned the key and it started right up. After letting it run for several minutes I shut it off and restarted it just fine. Does anyone have any idea of what would cause this. Thank you.

dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvkiel View Post
I turned on the chassis battery disconnect switch & had 12 volts showing on the gauge on the dash, but when I turned on the ignition key I got now dash lights or anything and when I tried to start the MH the gauge went to 0 and nothing. Tried several times and then I used the Emergency start switch and turned the key and it started right up. After letting it run for several minutes I shut it off and restarted it just fine. Does anyone have any idea of what would cause this. Thank you.
Sounds to me like your engine start battery has a shorted cell. For the starter to engage you need a minimum of 9.6 volts under load. with a shorted cell you loose a little over 2 volts. It could also be dirty terminals on the same batt. While cleaning the terminals(do first) if the + terminal is black, just replace the Battery.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #3

Only takes milliamps to get a gauge to register 12 volts, takes good connections and 100s of amps to crank the engine. A short time with the alt charging could have warmed the connection, to make it work for a while.
Clean the battery connections , any more problems , have the batteries load tested.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #4

Thank you I'll check the battery terminals for cleanliness and go from there.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #5

The terminals were a little dirty & corroded but not bad at all, I cleaned them with a little baking soda & water and a wire brush. I have a rather strange question as well. There are two drawers with two batteries in each one. How do I know which ones are for the coach and which ones are for the engine? Sure do wish the manuals were more in depth. Thank you.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #6

Did you remove the connections from the batteries, and clean the posts and the inside of the cable ends?
Inexpensive tools available for proper, post and cable end cleaning.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #7

No I didn't but I will, to ensure a good clean connection.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #8

2 drawers so one is engine and one is coach.

Measure voltage on both then switch converter and if only one gains it is coach.

Turn on lights and one that drops usually engine.

For cleaning do not use the round brush.

Do use the 4 wsy reaming tool.

It will shave the post and connector to same shape and bright metal.

Light coat of grease and assemble.

Air and liquid tight with maximum surfsce area.

Good connection and stays good.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #9

Thanks for the info, when you say switch the converter what do you mean. How do I do that. Do I just measure the voltage with a regular multi meter?
Old 07-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #10

Yes just regular voltmeter.

If converter is always on...just plug shore cord in then measure then pull out and measure.

Or lust do the hesdlight test and that should be engine battery
Old 07-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #11

I am a bit confused that there are two batteries in each drawer. Are the ones for the engine possibly both 6V batteries? Should only be 12V I would think. I believe the ones in the top drawer are the engine batteries as they have a battery minder hooked up to them, but I haven't plugged it in as yet. Would it make sense to have a battery minder on the coach batteries? Boy this is confusing and quite frankly electrical related stuff isn't my cup of tea.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
It is common for a diesel engine to require two batteries to start. Also common for a coach as old as ours to only charge the engine starting batteries via alternator, not with converter that charges house batteries when on shore power or generator. So you have checked and cleaned all positive and negative connections for all 4 batteries. You also need to check the ground connection of your batteries, and the battery connections to the starter. And use your multi-meter to check voltage of each set of batteries. You can tell which battery set is for house by checking voltage with converter on and running generator or connected to shore power. Voltage with converter running should increase house batteries and have no effect on engine starting batteries. Hope this helps.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote