Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have Hankooks heavy loads on my 64 deville convert a huge difference from the other set. Much better ride.
I currently have f's on the rears of the MH / Bridgestone's Happy with them. Plan on replacing them all with Hankooks.
JMO, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #16

I'm passing on the Michelins. I found quite a bit of bad info about their 12ply/F tires having sidewall cracking and blowouts.
If I had a 28-30' MH, I'd be fine with 12ply/F on the rears, but the 34' is a bit heavier so I'm waiting for a set of 14ply/G tires. I'm in no hurry, so if I don't find a good, nearly new used set in the next few months I'll just go new.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I thought of an 'issue'. My speedometer is less accurate than it was before the tire change. Now about 7mph at 65 mph (GPS). I don't consider that much of an issue (re: problem) but can imagine some folks would not like it. I may get around to re-calibrating at some point.
I also notice a slight difference in speedometer readings. When I am doing 60 per the speedo I'm actually dong about 57 per some of those speed devises. I'm ok with it as it keeps me in my 55-60 happy zone for optimum mileage.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
I also notice a slight difference in speedometer readings. When I am doing 60 per the speedo I'm actually dong about 57 per some of those speed devises. I'm ok with it as it keeps me in my 55-60 happy zone for optimum mileage.
If your speedometer is off by 6-9%, then your odometer is also off by the same amount. Will you honestly be able to sign the mileage statement on your title when you sell?? A speedometer shop can probably correct your meters for the new tire size.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If your speedometer is off by 6-9%, then your odometer is also off by the same amount. Will you honestly be able to sign the mileage statement on your title when you sell?? A speedometer shop can probably correct your meters for the new tire size.
I don't know about where you live, but in Colorado, if the vehicle is over 10yrs old, or the odometer shows 100K+ miles, the odometer reading is considered beyond its mechanical limits and deemed not accurate or reportable. If I remember correctly, the newly issued title will show 000000 for the mileage.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Just curious, but what is the upside to converting to the metric size when 8R19.5's are available?

I found myself in this dilemma last year - except the previous owner of my MH had already changed to metrics. I don't recall whether they were 225 or higher, but I did have 2 blowouts due to rubbing rears. I did a lot of research on this site and most advised me to return to the chassis manufacturer's original recommendation. I did go back to 8R19.5 and have no regrets.

I seem to remember there was a rim/bead issue as well, but I'm no expert and may be wrong.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
I need to replace the tires on my '89 Gulf Stream Classic 37', and was lucky enough to find some nice used ones for a really good price. I think they are the 225's also, and the current ones are the 8R's, so I'll be making the same change. I'll attach a picture of my rear tires so you can see why I might need to replace them before planning any long trips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pig rear tire.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	80893  
Old 12-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Irish View Post
I might need to replace them before planning any long trips
I dunno... those look like they have a LITTLE life left in them!!

To a previous question; when I purchased tires, the options were very limited with the 8R's - thus my reason for changing.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #23

Mid-80s RV with 225/75-19.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflinn181 View Post
if your speedometer is off by 6-9%, then your odometer is also off by the same amount. Will you honestly be able to sign the mileage statement on your title when you sell?? A speedometer shop can probably correct your meters for the new tire size.

Eek
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #24

Hey Wild Irish
Are those tires retreads?

Has anyone had good luck running retreads on the rear of a 24' class c? 6 new tires is going to be a big chunk of cash especially since I'm only going less than 500 miles in a year.
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Retreads are fine for trucks that go through tires quickly. The fact that you only plan on 500 miles a year means your tires will sit more than the run. RVs typically have more issues with old tires rather than wearing them out. A retread could already be a few years into it's lifespan and will age out. You have to decide what your RV and those that ride in it are worth.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #26

shoot I only have 16"

darn, mine are only 16" wheels, can I switch to bigger ones
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Think I messed up

Well, I finally got the new (used) tires, pulled all the wheels off one side of my old Gulf Stream, then thought to compare them. The old wheels and tires off the rear, when laying flat on the shop floor, one on top of the other are about 3" lower than the two newer tires just stacked together next to them :-( The new ones are 245/70 R19.5's, and the old ones are the original 8R 19.5's. I don't think I could space the rear wheels far enough apart to make up for the huge difference in width, could I? If it is possible to space them, what do you use for a spacer? I have looked for wider wheels, but with no success, except new ones for well over $200! Previous forum entries have suggested that the switch works, but I just can't see how it could, so please correct me if I'm wrong, and tell me what the magic cure is. Thank you all for any knowledge you can lay on me.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:37 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
No,Grog, they're not retreads, but just old, brittle, and coming apart at the cord! Scary, huh?