Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #29

Gulf Streamers Club
Have an answer to my own question

OK, I think I've figured out a "cure". I realized that the newer wide tires only come together because the wheel is too narrow, not because there's not enough offset. If I widen the wheel rim itself, the tire sidewalls will be more straight up and down, not bulged out causing contact between them, so the offset is OK as it is. I just need to cut the wheels and add a ring of bar stock that is two inches wide...problem solved! Not a lot of money invested, but lots and lots of time cutting and welding. That's OK, as I have lots more time than money at this point

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Irish View Post
Well, I finally got the new (used) tires, pulled all the wheels off one side of my old Gulf Stream, then thought to compare them. The old wheels and tires off the rear, when laying flat on the shop floor, one on top of the other are about 3" lower than the two newer tires just stacked together next to them :-( The new ones are 245/70 R19.5's, and the old ones are the original 8R 19.5's. I don't think I could space the rear wheels far enough apart to make up for the huge difference in width, could I? If it is possible to space them, what do you use for a spacer? I have looked for wider wheels, but with no success, except new ones for well over $200! Previous forum entries have suggested that the switch works, but I just can't see how it could, so please correct me if I'm wrong, and tell me what the magic cure is. Thank you all for any knowledge you can lay on me.
The switch only works for 225/70R19.5's; the 245's are too wide for the duals with 6" rims. Either get spacers, or new tires.
I got four Gladiator, 14ply (load range G) 225/70R19.5's for $625 delivered from tires-easy dot com.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #31

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, I realized the size problem after I had already dismounted a couple of the old tires, and then rolled the new ones into the shop. Sounds like you got a really good buy on yours, but right now that's way more than I can afford...just got my hours cut back on my job. I got these 245's from a guy who was starting a long tour, and just wanted to start with new tires. They have over half the tread still on them and good date code, and are top brand tires. I paid a whopping $60 for all 6, delivered to my house, so I feel the extra work to widen the wheels will be well worth my time.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
OK, I won't cut & weld the rims...not EVEN a good idea. I must have been temporarily insane I found a company where I can buy just the rim and weld in my centers, and for a fairly reasonable price, so will go that route. I've done that several times in the past, so no problem.