Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #1

More P30 454 water pump questions

I spoke to the PO of my coach in reference to the cooling system. I asked him about the water pump. He said he changed it about 9 years ago during a trip. He said he used a "heavy duty" one for the 454. Is there anyway for me to tell if the water pump in there is the proper one for the motorhome application?

Also, how the heck does anyone do any work on the front of the motor? Do you pull the radiator each time?

I also read in the Chassis Manual that an inner wheel well should be installed on the passenger side of the coach to help the right side of the motor keep cool as well as a barrier be installed at the bottom of the radiator from the grill to the radiator to prevent any air entering the grill bypassing the radiator by going under it. Has anyone done these?

Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #2

What year and make motorhome are we talking about.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #3

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have changed my alternator by leaning over the engine looking down from the dog house, not comfortable but doable. Watch out for the bolts from the TBI for air filter. My water pump I would have to either try it from underneath or remove radiator. Can't see any other way. The engine has aluminum shrouds mounted on the frame rail on both sides of the engine, easy on easy off. Are yours missing?
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcor View Post
What year and make motorhome are we talking about.
1991 28' Georgie Boy Cruise Master on a 1990 P30 chassis with a 454 TBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
I have changed my alternator by leaning over the engine looking down from the dog house, not comfortable but doable. Watch out for the bolts from the TBI for air filter. My water pump I would have to either try it from underneath or remove radiator. Can't see any other way. The engine has aluminum shrouds mounted on the frame rail on both sides of the engine, easy on easy off. Are yours missing?
Mine only came with a drivers side inner wheel well from Chevy. A couple years later they stated in the Chassis Manual, dated 1995, for the coach builder to fabricate a pass side inner wheel well.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
If you have a fan shroud it will force the fan to draw air through the radiator.
As for working on the front end you will have to remove the shroud to replace the water pump, balancer seal, timing chain, etc. Alternator, PS Pump, A.I.R. pump, A/C Compressor are serviceable with the shroud in place, raising the front end, turning the wheel and working in around the tires may help
The shroud is usually mounted with 2 bolts on top and 2 clips on the bottom
Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #6

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It shouldn't be overly difficult to get some sheet metal and make a box from the frame up to the bottom of the coach a foot off the motor, only hard part would be the bends to close off the power steering pump.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am still hoping there is a way to visually verify I have the proper water pump installed. Without knowing that it is the correct part I have nothing to compare a new one too.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If po had on for 9yrs it had to be close to right part, why do you want to change it? most chevy pumps aare not that much different,small or big block,in the older years.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have installed many air deflectors on motorhomes. I sometimes used front door kickpanels and sometimes just sheetmetal. It stopped the overheating on all of them.Of course this was after changing the thermostat, checking the radiator for blockage, etc. The metal panel should be about 8 in. X the width of the frame. Install it below the frame as a scoop.The back of the metal should be flush with the frame and the front should be down with a spacer about six in. This will force more air up and thru the radiator.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After leaving a short message on the "RV.NET" site I finally found the "Stewart catalog"....
1-906-789-2816 order line....

1-336-859-2555 Tech line

The Stewart owner will make sure you have a reverse flow water pump and a few other thangs.

Jim
Old 07-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy14 View Post
If po had on for 9yrs it had to be close to right part, why do you want to change it? most chevy pumps aare not that much different,small or big block,in the older years.
I do not want to change it. I just want to make sure it is the right one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I have installed many air deflectors on motorhomes. I sometimes used front door kickpanels and sometimes just sheetmetal. It stopped the overheating on all of them.Of course this was after changing the thermostat, checking the radiator for blockage, etc. The metal panel should be about 8 in. X the width of the frame. Install it below the frame as a scoop.The back of the metal should be flush with the frame and the front should be down with a spacer about six in. This will force more air up and thru the radiator.
Thanks for the info and dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
After leaving a short message on the "RV.NET" site I finally found the "Stewart catalog"....
1-906-789-2816 order line....

1-336-859-2555 Tech line

The Stewart owner will make sure you have a reverse flow water pump and a few other thangs.

Jim
Thanks Jim. I read the reply on RV.net. Should I ask for anyone in particular when calling or will the owner answer? Should I drop your name?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
I do not want to change it. I just want to make sure it is the right one.

Thanks for the info and dimensions.

Thanks Jim. I read the reply on RV.net. Should I ask for anyone in particular when calling or will the owner answer? Should I drop your name?
NO reason to drop my name, I'm a retired old guy who has not been keeping up with the technogoly for the past few years......

Please have the questions (yours) on hand, The stage1 are cast but well machined up and the higher stages are aluminum..

Good luck

Jim
Old 07-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #13

We had an 84 GB. Cruiser . I took the metal flashing off, which was only on the drivers side. Replaced it with custom cut flashing mad from commercial grade tarp material and held in place with springs. put one on each side this makes servicing a lot easier. Fan, if yours has one, is removed from the top as is the waterpump. I put a 18 pusher fan in front of the radiator and never again had a overheating problem .
But unless the waterpump has failed, I wouldn't replace it. Good luck. We drove ours for 10th years.

Tags
water