Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
mounting a flat screen TV in Motorhome

How do I mount this securely so it won't fall off. Its going to be 32-42 inches.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Way too many variables to answer your questions without a lot more information. Are you mounting it to solid wood? Are you using a tilt mount, a swinging mount, just bolting it direct?

We use the tv arm mounts that are sold at BJ's Wholesale. I put a piece of solid wood behind the wall we were using to give it a good place to mount. Then just bolted it all together.

CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ok to clarify. I know I can mount it to wall no problem, I'm more looking for if just using the mounting bolts the TV itself would be ok with the rigors of the road or if I should build a cabinet with appropriate shock absorbing material built in to support the TV at its perimeter as well.
So I'm not worried as to how to mount it to the wall as I am whether or not the TV, being one.from Walmart or best buy, and not specifically one made for RVs. I just don't want to mount it and then find out that it breaks the bolts TV and it falls to the floor. I just want to be sure the TV can handle being mounted to the wall in a Motorhome.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use a Samsung 32" and it is very secure, if the mount is secure the tv will be fine.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #5

TV mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokahi117 View Post
Ok to clarify. I know I can mount it to wall no problem, I'm more looking for if just using the mounting bolts the TV itself would be ok with the rigors of the road or if I should build a cabinet with appropriate shock absorbing material built in to support the TV at its perimeter as well.
So I'm not worried as to how to mount it to the wall as I am whether or not the TV, being one.from Walmart or best buy, and not specifically one made for RVs. I just don't want to mount it and then find out that it breaks the bolts TV and it falls to the floor. I just want to be sure the TV can handle being mounted to the wall in a Motorhome.
I used one of the wall mounts sold and mounted a 26" in my coach. Remvoed the built in TV filled in the space with 3/4 matching plywood and secured the mount to that. Then hung the tv on the mount and it seems to be fine. The new TV's are very light weight and seem to withstand the bounching around very well.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #6

I understand your feeling - the back of my flat screen feels very flexible and that is the part with the mounting holes with threads for bolts. I put two small pieces of metal under the base of the TV and they were bolted to the metal frame that supported the heavy old TV. These pieces of metal are about six inches long and about one inch wide. I put a quarter inch 90 degree bend in the ends that go under the TV. The metal is painted black and if you don't know they are there you don't notice them. I did also use the mounting holes on the back of the TV. Anyhow some of the TV weight rests on these two pieces of metal which should help relieve some of the strain on the flimsy back of the TV.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #7

Did you provide some sort of cushion on the metal braces for when the tv bounces on them
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I understand your feeling - the back of my flat screen feels very flexible and that is the part with the mounting holes with threads for bolts. I put two small pieces of metal under the base of the TV and they were bolted to the metal frame that supported the heavy old TV. These pieces of metal are about six inches long and about one inch wide. I put a quarter inch 90 degree bend in the ends that go under the TV. The metal is painted black and if you don't know they are there you don't notice them. I did also use the mounting holes on the back of the TV. Anyhow some of the TV weight rests on these two pieces of metal which should help relieve some of the strain on the flimsy back of the TV.
Safe Travels
Bob
The mount I used actually had four hooks that went into slots on the back of the TV which hold the weight along with the screws. This seems to work. Haven't put a lot of miles on it but we have been on some rough roads here in Northern CA and Southern OR.

Tags
motorhome