Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #29

Amazon.com: Auto Meter 2337 Auto Gage Black 2-1/16" Mechanical Individual Steel Panel Vacuum: Invicta: Automotive
ftv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #30

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club

I like that gauge because of the layout. I just wish it came with a white face. I have the AutoMeter Phantom series water & tranny temp gauges. I'd like the vacuum gauge to be close to those, but I guess it depends where I end up mounting it. If I put it on the steering column, I might get away with the black face.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
I feel as though some of the responses here were far deeper than what i was looking for. Initially I was merely looking for an instrument that would give me a sense of my current MPG's at any given moment. I feel confident that most of us are aware that going up a hill or into a strong head wind will undoubtedly decrease our current, "at this moment", MPG's. The vacuum gauge will do what I was looking for. If I'm going down the highway with a tailwind and the best MPH is 53 then that is where I'll attempt to keep my foot. If I'm headed up a long gradual hill and the best I can get is 5 1/5 MPG's ... then so be it. I'm not real concerned over the mechanical differences in my unit over another. I only want to be achieving the best MPG at any given moment. Total MPG's will happen all by itself if I do my best "at this moment".

Thanks again for the initial answer as to what instrument I needed.
LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #32

In regards this question was aware of some highly expensive marine fuel flow meters, but due to that cost avoided their mention. Have now come across a cheap one:

Bethel Nav-Man
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Had one the computers from J. C. Whitney years ago that I installed in a class A powered by a Dodge 318. The motor home was under powered to say the least and watching the gauge drove me nuts. In later units I oped for a vacuum gauge which I found quite helpful. Now- do the vacuum gauges work as well with fuel injection as with carbs?
BigJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Vacuum gauge and tachometer. Pencil and paper.
J
YUP - my '88 Winnie Super Chief came with the tach and vacuum guage - but I had to supply the paper and pencil...

Reducing speed is purty near ALWAYS the key to better MPG - but lotsa folks still find it too hard to practice - and keep on looking for other methods...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJack View Post
Had one the computers from J. C. Whitney years ago that I installed in a class A powered by a Dodge 318. The motor home was under powered to say the least and watching the gauge drove me nuts. In later units I oped for a vacuum gauge which I found quite helpful. Now- do the vacuum gauges work as well with fuel injection as with carbs?
I would think it would be a similar environment for a TBI based injection system given that it uses a very similar intake manifold to a carbed engine.

Multi-port injection, likely not as much as each cylinder is doing its own mix.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote