Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
This is a text book case of blown head gasket.
Ya think ? Shouldn't I see oil and water mixing on the dip stick?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarog View Post
So after changing water pump radiator hoses thermostat fan clutch and fan, new belts etc. etc . I took my 85 itasca with a Chevy 454 for its first test drive. Now forgive me but I'm really new to the RV thing. At 45 mph she's at about 230 deg at 55 mph it's at 235 deg at 65 it's at about 245 deg. I've read that this thing should run at 225deg. Does this mean the faster I go the warmer it will get? Is there something I missed ? It's @ 240 just at idle. Do I have bigger issues?
It has a little. Carb trouble since I got it. Could this be a factor? It just idles a bit rough.
I'm stumped!
These temps. are way to hot for a 1985 big block chevy, you are close to boil over in a 15#system. I believe in the 80's the engines were running 160 - 180 deg. in the cooling system. You might have a bad thermostat?

Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
These temps. are way to hot for a 1985 big block chevy, you are close to boil over in a 15#system. I believe in the 80's the engines were running 160 - 180 deg. in the cooling system. You might have a bad thermostat?
I don't think this can be true as the service manual calls for a 190 deg thermostat. Also checked this with napa when I bought the new one. If it only operated at 180 deg then thermostat would never have opened when it was new.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
OK , I can go with a 190 deg. in that year, but the temps you are running at.........your engine is not going to like it. As far as never opening at 180 deg., no matter what the thermostat temp when the coolant hits the thermostat temp. setting it will open. And if it does not it has failed.
Can you see your temp. gauge move at all when the coolant get around 190 deg.? or does it just keep going up? When a thermostat first opens and you are watching the temp. gauge you should see it drop just a bit below set point and start to rise and gauge should go back up and do this till all the coolant is up to operating temp.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try turning the heater on full blast, should cool down a little if it is circulating. If it does not then I would replace the thermostat again, and be sure you did not put it in backwards, button end towards the block is correct. Did you look at the water passages with the water pump off, not clogged or corroded?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #20

possibly air in system,if so point the nose of the rig as far up in the air as you can get open the cap and watch for burping.YMMV
Old 05-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
OK , I can go with a 190 deg. in that year, but the temps you are running at.........your engine is not going to like it. As far as never opening at 180 deg., no matter what the thermostat temp when the coolant hits the thermostat temp. setting it will open. And if it does not it has failed.
Can you see your temp. gauge move at all when the coolant get around 190 deg.? or does it just keep going up? When a thermostat first opens and you are watching the temp. gauge you should see it drop just a bit below set point and start to rise and gauge should go back up and do this till all the coolant is up to operating temp.
Overstated the never open thing! LOL. Found a broken vacuum line to timing advance. That would explain the rough idle. Would also explain running to warm if it were running lean. Ur thoughts?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Try turning the heater on full blast, should cool down a little if it is circulating. If it does not then I would replace the thermostat again, and be sure you did not put it in backwards, button end towards the block is correct. Did you look at the water passages with the water pump off, not clogged or corroded?
Didn't notice anything unusual in there. But to be honest I broke my finger that day so I was a little distracted.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
If the gasket is blown in the water jacket it's adding pressure to the system as it would be firing into the water jacket.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #24

So I've been doing a little research. Opinions vary wildly about what correct operating temps should be. So I'm going with the manual I have In front of me. 225 deg. That being said. I didn't put the shroud back on yet, I'm running water instead of antifreeze. ( wanted to make sure I didn't have leaks) there is NO thermostat in it right now. Just realized its sitting on the work bench. ( don't drink beer and operate hand tools).
And I found a broken vacuum line going to the vacuum advance. Seems my first flight out might have been a tad rushed. Will correct all these things and get back to y'all. Hope u guys forgive these oversights and still want to play with me again! Lol!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #25

If the timing is running to retarded the engine will over heat.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow5656 View Post
If the gasket is blown in the water jacket it's adding pressure to the system as it would be firing into the water jacket.
Ok. I'm with ya! If that's the case should I see wAter loss? Not really seeing that. I've taken it on three trips around town. First two were about 10 miles. Today was about 40 miles. Never did full on overheat. But I did see 240 or there abouts.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRNOLL View Post
If the timing is running to retarded the engine will over heat.
Feels like I'm too retarded! Never had this much trouble with cars. Motor homes are an animal all to there selves. U could be right. I'll check it tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarog View Post
So I've been doing a little research. Opinions vary wildly about what correct operating temps should be. So I'm going with the manual I have In front of me. 225 deg. That being said. I didn't put the shroud back on yet, I'm running water instead of antifreeze. ( wanted to make sure I didn't have leaks) there is NO thermostat in it right now. Just realized its sitting on the work bench. ( don't drink beer and operate hand tools).
And I found a broken vacuum line going to the vacuum advance. Seems my first flight out might have been a tad rushed. Will correct all these things and get back to y'all. Hope u guys forgive these oversights and still want to play with me again! Lol!
My son had a 350 chevy that he took the thermstat out of and it ran hot, he put a 185 in it and it went normal. I have no idea why, but I was there when he did it .