Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2015, 08:24 AM   #155

Winnebago Owners Club
What you are proposing would be nice. I also like the greyed out version you show in post 142. I think they are more complementary to the overall graphic.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #156

Yeah Gordon , I liked the matching grey ones too. Kind of a hint of retro?
But the other two looked good too. Maybe he just did that to keep us guessing??????
Old 06-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #157

They're currently gray. I think it's pretty blah.

Maybe with chrome caps and lugnuts?
Old 06-07-2015, 11:15 PM   #158

The best part is you get to decide !

I went with basic white but might change if I do a cool graphic like you are doing.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:50 AM   #159

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
MT,
You might want to try the trim rings with the chrome center caps(I try to use stainless if possible). If you don't like the look, it will be easy to put back. I agree that it needs a little something, but not a lot.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:35 AM   #160

That's what I'm thinking!
I do this to my Zu factory wheels.

Course it helps when the Zu warehouse gives you a case of chrome trim rings and caps to use up.
I love warehouse cleaning days!
Old 06-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Now comes the fun part, getting the glue residue off.
Frank
Still working on the residue! I have 1/2 the right side and the back done. Goal is to have it painted before we take it to the fair (we camp there with the girls 4-H pigs) the 2nd week of August.

I've only worked on it about 3 hours, it's going well, just haven't had that much time to devote to it.

- Spray on Goof Off with a spray bottle
- Scrape immediately with a hard plastic kitchen scraper (Pampered Chef FTW!)
- Spray again
- Wipe off remaining with rag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Made it to the same spot about 5 miles out of town and smelled something hot. The right front caliper was sticking after I changed the pads last week. Pulled over and banged on the caliper, but it wouldn't consistently release. Headed back into town, bought a new caliper, and headed home. Had it changed and rebled in about 30min.
Drove to Idaho to run the Lochsa river this past weekend. I made it about 2h from home and went through Missoula, MT during rush hour traffic.

Wouldn't you know it, the driver's side caliper started sticking. I made it past town and didn't want to brave the traffic again. I had a buddy who was coming over the next morning and called him, and he was going to hit NAPA for me and bring another caliper.

My wife had ridden with another friend and was already far out of service in Idaho.

I called the Idaho State Patrol, and got a message through one of the troopers to the campground host to let my wife know I would be late or the next morning--but not to worry.

In the meantime, since I had nothing to do but wait, I pulled the wheel and caliper off and had my daughter pump the brakes to push the pistons out. I pulled back the rubber seal and used a q-tip to smear grease around the pistons.

I didn't have a c-clamp or vise or hammer, so I used a wood block and the side of my hatchet to tap the pistons back in, and did one at a time so the one would push the other out a few times to work the grease in. Re-installed the caliper and it didn't stick. Called my buddy to hold off on the parts store run and headed for Idaho.

Got to camp and my wife got the message (that I "wasn't coming until the next morning"), was planning to sleep in our friends' RV and had sold our reserved campsite to some Canadians on dualsport bikes.

At least I don't have a 3rd caliper to stick!
Old 06-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #162

Winnebago Owners Club
MT - I would not paint it to meet any of our expectations or taste. You are the one who will be driving it and so you have to please yourself. I tend to lean towards understatement.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #163

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
If you want to do something really different with wheels you might consider hydrographic dipping. You can get just about anything transferred onto a wheel.

1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
MT - I would not paint it to meet any of our expectations or taste. You are the one who will be driving it and so you have to please yourself. I tend to lean towards understatement.
I have to get all the goo stripped off first!

I asked for opinions--mine isn't the only one out there, and there's always a new idea I haven't thought of. I don't like flashy, but I don't like plain. I'm going for "subtle". That's why smcox1's wheels resonated with me.

I also like "inexpensive" and DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
If you want to do something really different with wheels you might consider hydrographic dipping. You can get just about anything transferred onto a wheel.

I've been tempted to try that myself!!
I'm not sure if I want to spend the $$ to dismount/remount to do it.

I've seen some really great work done on, how do I say it? "Noisy hiking sticks".
Old 07-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #165

MT4Runner's 1992 Four Winds 29' C renovation

How's the GOO removal doing?

I am hoping to test my "paint over the decal" project with a high pressure hose and detergent today... If it holds tight, I will continue changing the color of some of my decals via the paint over method...

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #166

It would be going well if I were working on it!!
I went on a river trip, went on another river trip, went camping several weekends with the family (two in the MH), and it got HOT out.

I need to get going. I'd like to have it painted in a month before fair.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #167

So life gets in the way sometimes... I certainly get that.... As long as you had some good times and got to decompress - that is super important!!!
Threatening rain here so will be working in the shop today. I'm on PTO from work this week.

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #168

Anymore, I live a pretty stress-free life.

My wifey was visiting her mother most of last week, helping her do a garage sale. I was working, and spent my evenings with our daughters (13 and 11). We hit the lake to swim most evenings, went out for ice cream, watched a midnight movie, etc.

I don't have any regrets doing the things I did and not getting the RV painted!!

Have a relaxing and productive week off!

Tags
four winds