Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:59 AM   #15
Upholstery in progress, cupboards stocked, beds made.

How to sew box corners. Cut fabric, leave seam allowance.

Then you sew the edge.

Refills the fabric so the side seam you just sewed lines up with the top center seam. The edges of the corner notch will line up.

When you sew along those edges, (across the corner of the triangle), turn it right side out and find that you now have a box corner!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1266138d1396155234-mt4runners-motorhome-remodel-image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	89116   Click image for larger version

Name:	1266146d1396155602-mt4runners-motorhome-remodel-image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	89117  

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 05:00 AM   #16
Took out the ashtray and added 4 cig lighter plugs.

Left two on the radio circuit, right two on the cig lighter circuit. Gotta charge the kids devices and keep them entertained on the road! The stereo is out of my old 4Runner (hence my username). The ol' Runner went to the scrapyard in the sky last April. RIP Big Ugly!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1266154d1396155859-mt4runners-motorhome-remodel-image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	89118  

Old 03-21-2015, 05:02 AM   #17
Then a bunch of stuff happened really fast over the last two days of the remodel and I didn't take any photos!

Voila, we suddenly arrived in SE Utah. The first photo is in the Goblin Valley parking lot. You can't quite see the valences I re-covered with the new upholstery.

My good friend and I took our kids (his 12 year old son and 10 year old daughter and my 10 and 12 year old daughters) and my hiking and climbing in the San Rafael Swell. Then we drove over to Moab for some mountain biking and more climbing.

Second photo is near the end of Goblin Valley Road where we camped the second night.

The motorhome absolutely met my expectations. Traveling with 4 kids was downright PLEASANT. They had room to stretch out, get snacks, go to the bathroom, spill drinks, watch TV, play video games, and before they knew it, we had arrived at our destination. We boxed up the TV and it became our rolling base camp for a week. We pulled the TV out of storage for the drive home and repeated the trip with a very pleasant drive back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1269594d1396410145-mt4runners-motorhome-remodel-image.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	89119   Click image for larger version

Name:	1269602d1396410285-mt4runners-motorhome-remodel-image.jpg
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	89120  

Name:	1276290d1396885448-mt4runners-motorhome-remodel-img_1082.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	89121   Click image for larger version

Name:	1276402d1396888059-mt4runners-motorhome-remodel-arches.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	89122  

Name:	1276410d1396888059-mt4runners-motorhome-remodel-photo-1-7-.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	89123   Click image for larger version

Name:	1276418d1396888059-mt4runners-motorhome-remodel-photo-1-3-.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	89124  

Old 03-21-2015, 05:03 AM   #18
I could have hauled the bikes in the Toter, we could have done the same hikes and rides and climbs....

....but the trip THERE and BACK was a lot more enjoyable for the kids. They hung out with their friends and never ONCE said:
Can we stop for a break?
I need a drink.
I need to pee.
I am hungry.
Are we there yet?!

My oldest asked me once about 4 hours into the trip down,
"Dad, how long have you been driving?"
"About 4 hours, kiddo"
"Oh, it only felt like an hour!!"

Totally worth it if even for this single trip, but I foresee a lot more adventures upcoming this year and years to come!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1276434d1396888291-mt4runners-motorhome-remodel-photo-2-5-.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	89125   Click image for larger version

Name:	1276442d1396888291-mt4runners-motorhome-remodel-photo-3-3-.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	89126  

Name:	1276450d1396888291-mt4runners-motorhome-remodel-photo-3-4-.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	89127   Click image for larger version

Name:	1276458d1396888291-mt4runners-motorhome-remodel-photo-4-2-.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	89128  

Old 03-21-2015, 05:05 AM   #19
So you can't just take a 22 year-old camper on a 1,400 mile road trip without a few hassles. ;D

The driveline was replaced when the transmission was rebuilt. Just south of Salt Lake, we had some pretty bad driveline noise. One of the carrier bearing bolts was loose. We stopped at the Autozone in Price, UT and bought some Grade 8, 1/2" hardware and bolted it back in. We had to use the tire jack to lift it back in place to get the bolt in. As I mentioned, I used to be heavily into 4x4's, so it was really no huge issue for my fellow 4x4 aficionado buddy and I to fix in the parking lot. It could have meant a tow or a mobile mechanic to the unprepared.
Had a split in the polybutylene plumbing supply under the lavatory sink. Easy fix, but not during the trip. We're well used to tent and dry camping, so we just didn't use the fresh water system and filled our wash pans from the spigot outside. We had carried separate jugs of drinking water anyway for our water bottles and cooking.
We also noticed that the invertor wasn't seeing much power. After 10 hours of driving, the coach batteries were only at 12.3 Volts. This began a lengthy investigation process that I only solved last night. Our first step was to get the batteries charged and tested. There were 2 Kirklands and one Interstate. While we were fixing the driveline, the batteries were charging at Autozone. We found out the Interstate was dead and recycled it there. The Kirklands were good.

We drove to Goblin Valley, hiked Ding and Dang canyons, then on into Moab. The batteries still weren't fully charged. After hiking to the Windows and Double Arch, the kids were grabbing lunch and my friend and I started investigating more. We saw that from the contactor switch on the driver's side firewall, there were a couple of 12ga wires that were cobbled together with self-resetting circuit breakers. That was the only feed to the batteries. We removed the 12ga wires and connected the 8ga feeder directly to the contactor. We now had 14.8v at the starter battery and 13.8v back to the charger/convertor/distribution panel under the bed.

The bad news is that there was only 12.8v to the coach batteries. Enough for now, but I promised myself to investigate further after the trip.

When I got home, I started chasing cables. There was an 8ga + cable from the contactor to the charger/convertor. There was an 8ga cable from the contactor to the passenger side battery under the hood. Duh. I thought I had 2 starter batteries and three coach batteries (now minus the Interstate). Turns out I actually bought the rig with 1 starter battery and four coach batteries. Minus the Interstate, I still had 3 coach batteries--one under the passenger side hood, and two in the box under the passenger dinette.

There were 8ga + and - cables from the pair of coach batteries to the invertor, and there were 8ga + and - cables from the pair of coach batteries to the underhood coach battery.

Here's where it gets strange and where all my voltage drop came from. In Thor's infinite wisdom, they apparently built the coach with no ground conductors. The passenger side coach battery was grounded only to the inside of the radiator support next to it. That was grounded to a similar ground cable on the starter battery. That's it. :

The entire coach ground consisted of an 8ga cable from the charger/convertor to the steel plate on the bottom of the coach floor. :P

I added a 6ga cable from the alternator to the underhood coach battery (where the existing 8ga cable would carry the ground back to the pair of coach batteries) and added another 6ga cable from the charger-convertor to the pair of coach batteries. Now I have a continuous ground path with CABLES connecting the coach body, the charger-convertor, the under-dinette coach batteries, the under-hood coach battery, the alternator, and the chassis body. 8)

With the engine running, alternator voltage is 14.85V, charger-convertor voltage is 14.83V, and coach battery voltage is 14.83V. 8)

If you're having charging issues, it might be your batteries, it might be not enough alternator, it might be an antiquated unregulated transformer charger/convertor...or the issue might be MUCH simpler. Check your ground path!
1992 Four Winds 29'
Old 03-21-2015, 05:13 AM   #20
Currently in progress:

Rewired the passenger side 110V circuit so I could plug it into the invertor.

Pulled the old converter-charger and replaced it with a switching charger

Added an outside RGB LED strip under the awning
Converting the porch light to LED

Adding rear headphone jacks so the kids can listen to their DVDs on the road without us having a volume battle with the parent tunes up front.

Replacing the noisy furnace motor

Replaced the old, loose ext. Bargman L300 door latch with a Trimark 60-1650. I will rebuild the Trimark cast striker with steel.

Painted the bathroom

Added a cabinet door over the microwave, and another under the fridge.
Pulled the closure panel under the range and added a door.

Moved the passenger side cabinet 110V receptacle (on the invertor circuit) up into the cabinet to hide the TV and DVD.

Added an overhead light above the stairs

New tires
Old 03-21-2015, 05:14 AM   #21
Leaving for Utah again in a week.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:03 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
NICE, great job, colors are real nice (now), I can see you fitting right in here, it looks like you got a winner. love the pics
Terry and Eleanor
94 Softail / 92 FXR
79 32' AMF Skamper 5th Wheel Toy Hauler
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #23
Great Job MT... can we call you MT or have a real name? LOL....

I just don't get this GOTH and Vampire stuff at all... Zombies and such? Jeepers ... Seeing a scary movie at the corner theater at Halloween is one thing but to LIVE that day after day - well - not for me... I don't get all the face tatoos and hardware hanging from all your body appendages either.. Oh well...

The Allure flooring - that is something I put in the living room and kitchen of my old house that I rennovated.. I had some problems with a number of the edges coming de-bonded and ended up using a lot of SuperGlue and a heat gun..

The 460 is one of the best engines Ford ever produced in my opinion.. I worked on a race team for a lot of years and we used a converted Ryder Cube Van with the 460 as a hauler dragging a 14k 32' trailer loaded with rac car, spares, tools and ATV.. It went over 100k miles dragging this load and the only reason we tore it down was to do a valve job and then decided to pull the engine and put new seals and bearings... Pulled the pistons and had less than .005" taper in the cylinders, but went ahead and bored it .010" over.. It's still pulling that rig down the road and I have been away from the team for about 15 years now..

On your electrical issues - Easily 70% of all automotive electrical problems seem to be related to bad grounds.. I make liberal use of additional ground straps and cables to circumvent future issues.. With motorhomes and trailers you find some of the most bizarre configurations and what is reallu scarey is when the guy who did the 110 is clearly an automotive (DC only) person and thinks that the black wire in a 110v AC circuit is "ground"!!!!

Well, back to reading...

We will be pulling our Toy Hauler out of storage in another month and I will have some of my own stories to share as I go through and clean up, rebuild, etc...

BTW, I love your choice of interior colors... The interior package on our Toy Hauler is called "Platinum" and is quite similar...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	89132  
Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CrewCab DRW 6.7/409 PSD - 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 fifth-wheel Toy Hauler - 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT SxS just-4-grins
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #24
I love that pale gray in your platinum toyhauler!
The walls are nice, too. I could see me redoing mine (or a future project) the same one day.

I used the mitered click lock allure, not the peel and stick adhesive stuff. The helpful orange apron guy said a Canadian customer had used the adhesive edge Allure in his cabin and it debonded over the winter. He'd replaced it with this click lock stuff with no issues.

Shawn, by the way.
1992 Four Winds 29'
Old 03-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

What a Great read, and great Pic's, op's

What a great first trip. Makes me want to go there, I'll have to look for Moab, Been thru Utah back in my Truck driving years but never heard of this place, Thanks for the heads up.
I Can't see the Black and the cross's and all that Garb, Depressing. Nope not a good Look JMO of course. Seen any extra person's or spirits on the trip? Boo
I'm going to look at your Fabric Place and see what they have. Really like the flooring you installed and nice COLOR change.
What are you going to do with that com-fie Drivers chair? Recover it?
Can't wait for the next chapter.
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Currently in progress:

Adding rear headphone jacks so the kids can listen to their DVDs on the road without us having a volume battle with the parent tunes up front.
New tires
Something like this will make that job easier and no wires to the headphone.
Jay & Patty Executive Director Liberty Farms
County Coach Magna. Magna Carta "Maggie"
99 Jeep GC/05 SAAB 9-2x Aero (AKA Unicorn)
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #27
Your rv looks great (now). I recently bought a 90 jamboree and while it is in good shape on all around the wife is already asking for a interior remodel.
Jamboree1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #28
Winnebago Owners Club
Great thread and posts. Well done bringing the MH back to it's original glory and adding features for the future.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote

four winds