Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
More fuel issues. Saturday, I spent over $200 to have a fuel filter delivered and installed on the side of I15 in southern Utah. Today I had the engine die again south of Panguitch.

At this point, I believe it's the original 460 in-tank fuel pump getting tired, not putting enough pressure to a hot engine and having the fuel boil at the rail. Vapor-lock-like.

Shawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
MT,
If you think that the fuel pump in the tank is going bad, but still working, to get you home you might try adding an aftermarket one somewhere upstream to get you the pressure that you need. At least this will get you through your trip so you can enjoy and don't have to worry about being stranded on the side of the road. Don't forget to get one that will deliver enough fuel pressure, and you might need an external pressure regulator, but still better than having to drop the tank away from home.
Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Thanks Frank

We already picked up a NAPA in-tank pump, floor jack, and a couple fuel jugs. The plan is to manage temps and get home, I'll return the NAPA pump and order a Motorcraft pump from Rockauto.

I also noticed my gas cap was sealed tight, so that has to be a contributor.

Been down that road before more than once when I had a 460 gasser in my MH. So I added a second tank and pump in case the intank pump ever quit on me. And it did a few times! But now we're sporting a diesel in the Old Girl and fuel issues arn't that big of a deal.

I have two fuel pumps on my expedition 4X4 rig. The second pump is on a bypass circuit as back up. And it makes a nice tranfer tank for the motorcycles.

If nothing else, I carry a spare almost everything! Belts, hoses, Alts, Starters, oils, axles, hubs and tools to do almost everything. So far it's come in handy a few times. More times than not, they go for fixing somebody else's rigs that aren't a big maintenance Whore like I am.

Man, I'd hate to have to drop- a fuel tank on the side of the road!
Glad you got it going again. Wish I was closer. I've got enough tools and shop to make that job a non issue. If you ever need help Guys!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #100

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Your welcome MT, sorry I wasn't closer to be able to help.
Curtis,
You are a true gentleman, when we make the trip out west, probably in a couple years, we will definitely make the stop at your place to share a handshake and cup of coffee.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Your welcome MT, sorry I wasn't closer to be able to help.
Curtis,
You are a true gentleman, when we make the trip out west, probably in a couple years, we will definitely make the stop at your place to share a handshake and cup of coffee.
Frank

Sure thing Frank! We are just down the road West of the Texas Motor Speedway in Rhome TX.

We've got RV Hookups and a Dump station between the house and the shop so plan on spending the night!

I'm not a big NASCAR Fan but Melissa is.

But the Speedway has several big car parts swaps called the "Good Guys Swap Day".
Old 04-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #102

Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like a plan, Rita and I have been to several races at Charlotte and Bristol, but got tired of the crowds, still like the races, just not all the BS to get there. We are always open to a night or 2 stay when we are invited. It won't be for a couple more years, but we will put it in our plans.
Frank
Old 04-04-2015, 06:05 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
Sure thing Frank! We are just down the road West of the Texas Motor Speedway in Rhome TX.

We've got RV Hookups and a Dump station between the house and the shop so plan on spending the night!

I'm not a big NASCAR Fan but Melissa is.

But the Speedway has several big car parts swaps called the "Good Guys Swap Day".
We used to hail from Grand Prairie TX (moved north for work in 92).. My wife is also a huge fan of NASCAR... Me, ehh!

The last time I was at the speedway there, they had just started hosting the Pate Swap-meet... Was a dismal affair in comparison to the original Pate swaps down at the museum... Still, I love swaps...
Old 04-05-2015, 07:16 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
We used to hail from Grand Prairie TX (moved north for work in 92).. My wife is also a huge fan of NASCAR... Me, ehh!

The last time I was at the speedway there, they had just started hosting the Pate Swap-meet... Was a dismal affair in comparison to the original Pate swaps down at the museum... Still, I love swaps...
Yes it's not near as well run as the old location down at Cresson. But Cresson now has a Watkins Glen quality road coarse track called Motor Sports Ranch.
Personally I'd have rather they swapped locations for the NASCAR track location with the MSR Road Race Track.

Next weekend is a NASCAR race and the campers and motor homes are already being hauled in and staged for the coming congestion of cars and drunks. They shut down normal traffic to accommodate the RACE traffic. You can't go anywhere near the place without getting rerouted into their parking lot.

But I do enjoy riding get my motorcycle through the parking lot and ogling the "million dollar over the top" and "Junk yard red neck" RV's.

Some people have too much disposable income while others have no shame! NASCAR FANS, SHEESE!
Curtis in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:46 AM   #105

Made it to Tremonton Utah on the way home. Took a wrong turn in Green River and took I70 across to Salina.

The bad news is it cost us an hour.

The good news is I saw a new road with four high but beautiful passes. I'm not eager to repeat it in anything but a sports car, but I'm glad I did it once!

(I feel similarly about I15 from Vegas to Barstow after four trips hauling toysto King of the Hammers, Baker grade is the worst!!)

Home tonight and I'll post a trip report with photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in TX View Post
But I do enjoy riding get my motorcycle through the parking lot and ogling the "million dollar over the top" and "Junk yard red neck" RV's.

Some people have too much disposable income while others have no shame! NASCAR FANS, SHEESE!
Wait, aren't those our vintage RV brethren!?!
Old 04-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #106

I posted up our 2015 Utah trip report:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f69/trip-...-a-241456.html

Except for a dying fuel pump (that got us home and I'll change in the driveway before our next trip), everything was great. All the recent renovations except the headphone jacks worked great.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #107

Freightliner Owners Club
MT,
Glad that you are home safe and sound and that you didn't have any more trouble except the fuel pump. Now you know what other projects that you want/need to do on the C.
Frank
Old 04-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #108

I already changed out the oil pressure switch for an actual sender.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/fixin...50-241310.html

Fuel pump and brake pads are next.

A lot of Idaho river trips this Jume and paint this summer.

Camping at the county fair and our girls 4-H hogs in August.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:37 AM   #109

Freightliner Owners Club
MT,
Sounds going to enjoy your C this summer, Good for you and your family.
Frank
Old 04-08-2015, 07:29 AM   #110

Last summer was our first with it and we loved it. I had the major renovation done, but getting to the little things now is making it even more enjoyable. Not only the use of those parts/systems, but the knowledge that I fixed 'em and know how they work.

I also need to fix the water heater. We really only need hot water for dishes...it's a camper to us, not a coach, but I still want to make it work. I'm tempted to try to add motor aid to it.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:02 PM   #111

Got the fuel pump changed.

3 hours.

I didn't want to wake the neighbors with the rattle gun, so I'll finish tightening the strap bolts and skidplate tomorrow afternoon.

I did tap the ignition key briefly. Old one screamed, the new one purred. That's gotta be a good sign. Let's see, this is a $1,000 job. I have $200 in parts, so I should write myself a check for $800, shouldn't I?!?

Just to make sure, before I dropped the tank, I checked the fuel pressure at the rail. 40psi IGN on, 30psi running, 25psi WOT. It was definitely the pump. Looking forward to driving it with the new pump. I should have better throttle response, too!

Original pump was a Walbro. NAPA pump is also a Walbro.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:51 AM   #112

Freightliner Owners Club
MT,
Glad that you got the pump changed and that looks like the problem is solved. Repairing the hot water heater shouldn't be a problem, only a couple things that it could be.
Frank

Tags
four winds