Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:08 AM   #113

I honestly haven't ever even tried to fire it. I've just left it in bypass since I bought it...the PO was bad at winterizing, though, so I suspect it will leak.

I may add an electric element as well.

I'm sore. I'm only 40, but 3 hours of crawling on the asphalt got me.
I put the rear tires on 3 blocks high for more room, but ended up ditching the creeper so I could sit up.

The factory Ford pump was a Walbro if anyone is interested. I wonder if the $360 Motorcrafts are as well??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #114

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Last summer was our first with it and we loved it. I had the major renovation done, but getting to the little things now is making it even more enjoyable. Not only the use of those parts/systems, but the knowledge that I fixed 'em and know how they work.

I also need to fix the water heater. We really only need hot water for dishes...it's a camper to us, not a coach, but I still want to make it work. I'm tempted to try to add motor aid to it.
Because you sir are a CLACer. Knowing the hot water does not work despite that you really dont use it, and being driven to fix it is all the proof one needs.

Family time in an RV having adventures is a fantastic way to build memories for everyone involved. some of the best we have with our kids were in an RV somewhere. Now we plan to kidnap the grandkids and make some more.

1992 County Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Because you sir are a CLACer. Knowing the hot water does not work despite that you really dont use it, and being driven to fix it is all the proof one needs.
But not at the expense of the more important goals below!

Honestly, I really am not. I'd rather play than fix, but knowing this isn't our "forever" RV, and it will one day be sold, it makes more sense to fix and use those systems now than to just fix them at sale time and never have enjoyed their use. I really have enjoyed working on this "vintage" RV. I enjoy having overcome some of the challenges--it makes the later journeys more rewarding.

Quote:
Family time in an RV having adventures is a fantastic way to build memories for everyone involved. some of the best we have with our kids were in an RV somewhere. Now we plan to kidnap the grandkids and make some more.
I grew up with pickup campers and travel trailers. I didn't ever understand motorhomes, since we didn't have one and none of my parents friends did.

I get it now. They really make the journey enjoyable, not just the destination. We took it to two hockey tournaments this winter, one 9 hours away, the other 4 hours away. We traveled with the same family friends as went with us to Utah...it's the same cost at 8mpg versus two pickups at 16mpg, but you only need one driver, and the trip becomes very social!

And I love the big, ugly faded mauve captains chairs up front. They're ugly, but oh-so comfortable. I can really soak up the miles in them.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #116

The thing i like about traveling on my motor home is i can get a fresh made sandwich and a cold glass of chocolate milk brought to me while I'm driving.

Or a dish of ice cream!

And if I get tired I can pull into a Rest Stop and take a nap in my bed. COURSE it's only the wife and me in it.She doesn't drive the Big Coach.
But still, the bathroom is right there when ever I stop....
Old 04-10-2015, 05:53 AM   #117

Retired Fire Service RVer's
That is nice Curtis, I find that I need to stop every couple hours now and get out and walk around or my legs start giving me trouble, so I don't miss that. But I am much more comfortable pulling my 5er than driving the MH.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
But I am much more comfortable pulling my 5er than driving the MH.
Interesting!

Why is that, Frank?

I find that the longer wheelbase of the mh is more comfortable than a pickup towing a trailer (sweeping generality, of course!)
Old 04-10-2015, 09:11 AM   #119

Winnebago Owners Club
I also find the coach smoother than the 450 and 5er. Both drive about the same as far as handling but the coach is just more comfortable.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #120

The MH that I had, you had to be up on the wheel all the time, wind gusts, trucks passing could cause you to change lanes in an instant. Remember that I have air ride on the TV so the ride is smooth, also have an airbourne pin box on the 5er, so there is not much chucking or other movement. I am just much more relaxed in the PU, pulling the trailer doesn't bother me, drove an 18 wheeler for a couple years.
I am not saying what is best for everyone, just me. Now a 40 to 45' DP might be a different story, but I haven't tried one yet.
Frank
Old 04-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #121

Quote:
That is nice Curtis, I find that I need to stop every couple hours now and get out and walk around or my legs start giving me trouble, so I don't miss that. But I am much more comfortable pulling my 5er than driving the MH.
Frank
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

My wife is a little woman with a bladder the size of a golf ball. So traveling with her in a car or pickup means stops every 75 to 100 miles for a pee break. With the coach she can go when she wants and I, Joe the Camel can drive to my hearts content.
Nothing I hate worse than fighting traffic to clear the idiots then have to pull over for her pee break. Then have to fight all those road clowns again that I tried so hard to get away from.

And when it do have the urge, I don't even have to put my shoes on to go to the head in the back of the Coach. When I've got 37 feet to walk around in there's no need to step outside into the mosquitos and nats.

Unless I want to do a safety once around tire kicking session. But, I usually do those at the truck stop while waiting on the fuel pump to steal my children's inheritance.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #122

I know what you mean Curtis, I used to be that way, but now I can't make it past 200 miles. I usually have to stop before Rita does now a days.
Frank
Old 04-12-2015, 09:37 AM   #123

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Shawn - Without question playing is more important than the projects, although in my case the project itself can be play. One day while in the shop someone got the idea to make an electric motor from stuff laying around not using anything from an actual motor. We turned it into a contest. We had a blast for a couple hours.

Curtis & Shawn - Traveling in a motorhome is like everyone is sitting in the family room socializing, snacks coming from the kitchen and enjoying each others company. It just happens to be moving down the road to the adventure.

Frank - Some coaches can wander a bit when a truck goes by. The shorter and lighter the worse it is. 40'+ with a tag axle and you don't even notice it. Being relaxed while traveling is important. Otherwise you're exhausted when you get wherever you're going.

I can relate somewhat on the "have to go" issue. I'm sure this is not your issue but, I'm type 2 diabetic. If my blood sugar gets really high I gotta go every 20 min and I don't mean I can wait one more. Been a long time since I been there, but it is how I found out I was diabetic.

Anyway I hope you have had your man checkups on all parts related to fluid leaving your body. Lost a lot of friends who put that off. The only exam I hate is when you have to drink that nasty flushing mixture. The exam is fine, its the taste and effect of that fluid. And I'm due this year Can I be 30 again?
1992 County Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #124

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I know what you mean Curtis, I used to be that way, but now I can't make it past 200 miles. I usually have to stop before Rita does now a days.
Frank
Not to worry. It is good practice to get up and move around every hour or two. Helps prevent embolisms. We generally try to stop every couple hours. I walk around the coach and feel the tire temperatures even though we have the TPMS. We do not stop long, only 10 minutes or so and back on the road. We do not lose much for distance but we arrive feeling much more relaxed and refreshed.

I see on a previous post that you already stop to exercise the legs.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #125

Jay,
It is just as I get older, I can't wait as long, Gall Bladder surgery is what did the most to shorten the time that I can hold it.
Gordon,
I agree with the stopping every 2 to 3 hours, I get out and do the walk around, use an infrared to check tires and hubs, then walk over to restroom and back on the road , usually less than 10 minutes.
Frank
Old 05-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #126

Pressure washed off the old decals
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	95258  

Tags
four winds