Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
BCL

This looks like a great forum and hopefully just what my wife and I need to help with our new project!

We have recently acquired a late fifties 12' travel trailer. I am in the process of restoring it and I have 3 specific items that I need help with.

1) The dining table is missing. I plan on building a new one with a formica top and it will need break down into a bed. The size is 27 X 38. I was considering using ¾"¯ plywood. Will this suffice without any additional support and not bow when used as a bed?

2) It has a factory propane interior light, stove and heater. They are fed by copper lines. Do these need replaced or updated? Or should I try and fire it up and just see if it works?

3) I would like to add a 12 volt system for interior lights and a couple outlets. Is there a kit or diagram explaining how to go about this?

I consider myself pretty capable of all these projects I just want to get started on the right foot. Any advise, plans, diagrams, anything would be helpful!

-Craig
BCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2005, 10:11 AM   #2
BCL

This looks like a great forum and hopefully just what my wife and I need to help with our new project!

We have recently acquired a late fifties 12' travel trailer. I am in the process of restoring it and I have 3 specific items that I need help with.

1) The dining table is missing. I plan on building a new one with a formica top and it will need break down into a bed. The size is 27 X 38. I was considering using ¾"¯ plywood. Will this suffice without any additional support and not bow when used as a bed?

2) It has a factory propane interior light, stove and heater. They are fed by copper lines. Do these need replaced or updated? Or should I try and fire it up and just see if it works?

3) I would like to add a 12 volt system for interior lights and a couple outlets. Is there a kit or diagram explaining how to go about this?

I consider myself pretty capable of all these projects I just want to get started on the right foot. Any advise, plans, diagrams, anything would be helpful!

-Craig
Old 06-27-2005, 01:51 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Craig
Welcome to Irv2
You have a great project to work on!
And we have some very knowledgeable people here in the Vintage area, and although I may not be one of them them that 3/4" ply sure is tough stuff. I built my kids playhouse from 3/4" CDX and regretted not using 1/2"
good luck,
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:22 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Welcome to irv2 and the Vintage RV thread Craig. I think Mike's right; 3/4 ply should be fine. Your avatar pic looks like a Shasta. Is that correct? I'm surprised it does'nt have a 12v system. But regardless, the first point will be to determine where to install the battery. You'll want an RV deep cycle. Then a fuse or circuit breaker bloct to feed to and out of. It's not too complicated, just take your time and put everything on paper first. About the best suggestion I could make is to purchase the "Woodalls Rv Owner's Handbook"(www.woodalls.com). If you are going to add AC you will need a converter. Imho the choice would be Intelli-Power (http://www.bestconverter.com). I know you will enjoy your project. If you have a question you gotta ask to get an answer. Enjoy!
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:43 AM   #5
BCL

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

The project is coming along nicely and I just can't hardly wait to shine up that aluminum.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:51 AM   #6

You'll have a ball refurbing your Aloha. Are you planning on doing original or a total update? I've pretty much got my interior done the way I want it. I'm hoping to have the exterior painted before Labor Day.

The 3/4 ply will be fine. Remember, the more laminations = stonger and less likely to warp.

I was a bit gutsy with my gas light. I turn the gas on in the trailer and lit the stove to purge the air and fill the lines with gas, I opened the gas light valve until I could smell gas. Left the trailer (after ir aired out) closed for two days. Smelled no gas. Figured that was a good thing, so I lit the lamp. You'll find that unless the weather is cool, you won't be using that in the camper.

12V is easy to work with. I have leds that I am planning to install where my existing 12V lights are. The hard part is going to be runnin the wires. Are you just going to use it for lights, or do you plan on putting in any power ports?

Have fun with your project. It'll be worth the work when you get to the campground and you see those heads turn!!

1993 Gladiator TV
SJPtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:34 AM   #7
BCL

Thanks for the reply,

We had her out for the first time this weekend.

Every thing worked great. The only thing I need to do now is add the 12 volt system. It can get pretty dark in there in the shade. I have a nice little honda generator but I felt weird running it in a camp ground. I didn't want to upset anyone.