Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #15

I would be most concerned about the tires if you plan on a 100 mile trip. You probably could get $1000 worth of parts off of it if it is in fairly good shape. If you've got the money, I would say go for it. You can always part it out. If your A/C is a Coleman like mine, there is a little tube on the electric motor that is for adding oil. Put a few drops of 20 wt oil in it and it will improve the performance of the A/C.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If he's asking $1000, he'll probably take $850. Seems worthwhile if you need parts.

As far as the tow- have you considered joining AAA? The RV Plus membership will tow your rig 100 miles...

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #17

If you have road service you could always drive it to the hiway and call them to tow it....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
If you have to have it towed that is going to be expensive so figure it into the price. If it hasn't sold it could be no one is interested and you could score a heck of a deal.... Just approach him with what it would cost to tow it with a much lower price, after all they may really want it gone.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:27 AM   #19

I'd go look at it for sure. If it's what the seller says it is (dreaming here a little) it may be the one worth fixing....

Regarding driving, the tires may be scary, but if they're holding air ok and you cool it (50 mph?) they will likely make it. You could have a couple of spares with you just in case?

The bigger thing to me would be the brakes....
Old 06-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
If you have road service you could always drive it to the hiway and call them to tow it....
Been paying Good Sam for Roadside Assistance for 5 years and only used it once...the other time we needed them was a Sunday afternoon in July! Good luck getting past the automation at a time like that! I'd totally missed the fact that once we buy a rig, it's ours and covered!

I think we've decided to make him an offer, less the towing bill, and see how badly he wants rid of it! After all, "parts is parts"!
Old 06-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I'd go look at it for sure. If it's what the seller says it is (dreaming here a little) it may be the one worth fixing....
Ya know, I hadn't 'gone there', yet! Now it looks like we're headed over this afternoon to have a look... Thanks for the inspiration!

And thanks everyone else for the in-put!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:41 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
So did y'all go look at it yesterday ?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
We didn't make it over there yesterday. Keith got all wrapped up in the AC unit (which RUNS NICELY, now), and then re-fix the leaky connection under the sink in our REAL home! But then the boss called and said it was too muddy to move dirt so there's no work today... We're headed to look at the relic this AM. We'll see what happens.....
Old 06-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well, it's a good thing it was a nice day for a drive, cause that '78 was a load of scrap covered in junk! He'll have to pay someone to haul that off! Anything that worked was gone, he wouldn't plug it in to see if the fridge and ac worked (for fear they wouldn't, I guess). And the tag axle might have made it to the end of the driveway! Ah well, we stopped at an RV store and bought a few things, & stopped off to visit a friend... Good day!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just a note to update... Keith's been laid off, due to excessive rain--so he's been working non-stop on the HR.
So far, he's pulled the black & gray tanks, mended and redone someone else's mending, and got them re-installed. Worked on the motor, which isn't exactly purring, but is running smoothly. Checked out all the plumbing--which is in great shape! (what a quiet pump!) And pulled the 3-way Dometic (which, sadly, needs a new coil at least). A shiny new Danby 9 cu. ft. fridge is waiting at Sears for 1/4 the price of a Dometic replacement and 1/2 the cost of a new coil. We'll revisit the fridge situation when everything else is done....
I've started gathering supplies for the interior work--but can't get in there to work while he's doing his thing!
Next on his agenda--rebuilding the entrance door--for a whole lot less than the $600 plus they want for a new one!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:07 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
WE replaced our Dometic fridge with a Danby, one of the best things we've done.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:34 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
We have a working toilet! I'd post a pic, but, well, who hasn't seen a working plastic toilet??? The overhauled black and gray tanks don't drip. The new fridge is in the pickup, waiting for an extra strong back to help load it into the camper today. Then Keith gets to start his weekend helping bail hay for our little granddaughter's horses....
Old 07-02-2011, 04:47 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahkeith View Post
We have a working toilet! I'd post a pic, but, well, who hasn't seen a working plastic toilet??? The overhauled black and gray tanks don't drip. The new fridge is in the pickup, waiting for an extra strong back to help load it into the camper today. Then Keith gets to start his weekend helping bail hay for our little granddaughter's horses....

I'd help ya with the fridge, but ya know how it is...... Actually, mine went in pretty easy. I went in through the door by taking the door off the fridge there was plenty of room, I used my appliance dolly and was by myself. The hard part was getting it up where the old fridge was (since changed) and as I said, we would not go back to an RV fridge !

Tags
class c, holiday rambler, vintage