Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
My 1979 Holiday Rambler

Now, let's see if I did this right.... Our brand new 1979 Holiday Rambler.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Luckily, we have access to several sets of used steps, since a previous owner tore this set off, along with doing some damage to the blackwater tank...

Old 06-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #3

As one Holiday Rambler to another, welcome to the club. Mine's a Class A but there are a lot of similarities. Get to know your tag axle. There are a lot of idiosyncrasies to it that you need to know. Mor-Ryde still supports them and has some good reading material at this site.
MOR/ryde - Products - Documentation

Guard those taillights. They are expensive to replace, that is if you can find them. HR's were built well and hold up well. I have never had a leak in mine and very little problems with the coach part. The drive train is however it has been maintained. I've had to put a few dollars in mine to get it running properly.

Congratulations with your new purchase. I know you are going to have some good times with it.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the welcome. We're pretty excited but there's so much to do! Needs the whole "engine thang", new tires (do we spring for 16.5s or switch to 16s???), brakes--the works. The fridge has died of old age, and the AC unit appears to be headed that way. The holding tanks need repair/replaced. Upholstery is shot... *sigh*

I love the layout, with the rear bath. And I love that we'll be able to go camping even after it gets cold this winter! The water is all inside, next to the furnace duct work! (our 5er froze off at 28 degrees.)

One of the previous owners seems to have had trouble remembering that he wasn't driving a car--so it has some bodywork issues. All that, and it's still dry! THIS is the quality HR we thought we were buying in '04 when we got our 5er. (I could write a book on that experience!)
Thanks for the heads up on the tail lights! One of ours has a crack already. And now to go read up on the tag axle....
Old 06-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think I would opt for the 16" rims and tires, they're much easier to find the the 16.5".
I like the set up too, nice and roomy. We have a 92' HR class A and so far no leaks ! We have replaced the RV fridge with a residential fridge. The Dometic gave up and I couldn't justify the cost of repair or a replacement.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #6

I don't know what you want to do about your refrigerator, but my fridge died, too. If the box itself is still in good shape, you could do what I did and put it back in service. I pulled the fridge out and pulled the cooling unit off the back and took it to RV Refrigerator Repair in Falkville, Alabama and had it rebuilt. I put in back in and the fridge works good as new. If you are in southern Illinois, Falkville isn't too far away from you. It might be worth a little drive and less than $500 and be back in business. In case you might want to do that here is their website:
Rv Refrigeration Repair
Here is the process on how to pull the cooling unit:
New Page 1

Of course, with all you have to do to get your MH roadworthy, the fridge may be low on the priority list, but sooner or later you are going to have to face that decision. The reason I repaired instead of just replacing the refrigerator was that nothing on today's market would fit the space without major reconfiguring.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #7

Please post pics as you do your renovations. Seems to me that it's better to find something that you like that has "good bones" and put some sweat equity into it than to get something that maybe needs less work but isn't the layout that you like. Hope one of you is handy with a sewing machine . I'm getting ready to re-cover the booth cushions for our FW. Camo fabric is in the dryer as I'm typing this.

liz
Old 06-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #8

are you sure fridge gave up or need servicing mine is 26 years old plunged in now
Old 06-10-2011, 08:22 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
are you sure fridge gave up or need servicing mine is 26 years old plunged in now
Well, Keith turned on the electric and waited--nothing. Then the gas--still nothing. This is the first dead one we've encountered--except our fancy 4 door Norcold that he had to replace the core in last winter....
Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
snip. Hope one of you is handy with a sewing machine . I'm getting ready to re-cover the booth cushions for our FW. Camo fabric is in the dryer as I'm typing this.

liz
I made an executive decision and bought new booth cushions (covered in the fabric of my choice), even tho I'm capable of, and have in the past, doing it myself. The 30 year old foam needed replaced and the new cushions will arrive ready to use for $245. Then I'll sit on one at the table and commence to sewing other stuff....
Old 06-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
I would really like to have the original fridge all fixed up, but when I can buy one that fits the hole for just over $400 at HD, it seems kinda silly to go to all the trouble of getting the old one fixed, when there's so much else to work on. Thanks for the info, tho. I will bring it up at the next 'meeting' and see what the CEO thinks.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #12

Yep, that 30 year old foam probably isn't much better than the bare wood. I priced cushion foam for ours and decided to live with what we have for now. Fabric for covers will probably cost $25-30.

liz
Old 06-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
As one Holiday Rambler to another, welcome to the club. Mine's a Class A but there are a lot of similarities. Get to know your tag axle. There are a lot of idiosyncrasies to it that you need to know. Mor-Ryde still supports them and has some good reading material at this site.
MOR/ryde - Products - Documentation

Guard those taillights. They are expensive to replace, that is if you can find them. HR's were built well and hold up well. I have never had a leak in mine and very little problems with the coach part. The drive train is however it has been maintained. I've had to put a few dollars in mine to get it running properly.

Congratulations with your new purchase. I know you are going to have some good times with it.
X2...
I love my 1990 HR. class A. Mine was in better shape than yours but it still cost me over $6000 to get it right. Parts are a bear to find though. I'm still looking for the dash air/fan unit after 6 months of searching. Also, if your regulator goes you won't find a Lister replacement so know that a Pentach will work. The HR early units were built like a tank and most are still on the road that's why you can't find used parts! Good luck
Old 06-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
To buy, or not to buy...that is the question. Got a phone call last nite, offering to sell us a 1978 HR 27' Class C for $1000. It's 100 miles from here, been on Craig's List for a month, hasn't been on the road for 6 or 7 years...just started up and driven around the guy's property. We have seen just one picture and have been told that it's almost a twin to the one we're working on. PO is 'pretty sure' that if he plugged it in the refer would work. Everything was working when he bought a new RV and quit using this one. I asked him if he would drive it 100 miles without doing anything to it and he said "no". So, I guess the question is, should I call the tow truck and get a price BEFORE we go look at it? Who knows what parts we might need that would make it worth buying...like a door and an awning, for starters. Guess I'm just thinking in type....

Tags
class c, holiday rambler, vintage