Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #1

My '70 Winnebago Brave D-18

Okay, so I paid $400 for this thing, and it looked horrible. It needed a nice new facelift - so I bought some exterior house paint and in 6 hours got it painted.

I still need to rebuild the dinette, repanel the bathroom walls, rebuild the fold-out bed over the front seats, and build the rear bed. As far as I know, everything works, but haven't had any propane to check it all.
Visinedrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #2

Looks very nice in the pictures - congratulations on a nice bargain!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #3

Excellent! Gives hope for '71 Brave I just acquired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brave 002.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	4456  
Peacenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #4

Awesome! I'm still searching for specs and stuff on mine, so I can fix the stuff that's been removed. Got a question for you; where is the city water hook up located on your RV? Everything water has been removed from mine, and I'm trying to figure it all out. Great machine, by the way.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Those old "eye-brow" Winnebagos are neat old coaches.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #6

What a bargain! Love the look of them.. good luck in getting it all working again.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #7

Haven't gotten as far as plumbing except to replace vent covers on roof before coating. Believe is in back left of 'trunk' door about chest high. Still chasing down transmission for mine, but had great success coating roof and stopping pesky leak(s).
Peacenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you mentioned what town you are in and how far it is from either a good public golf course or a good fishing spot (and we'll just assume that beer can be found between them and you)...

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #9

Wow Congrads I own a 72 brave. Bought mine for a.100 dollars feel free to give me a call and I can help u with the plumbing or any thing else I have rebuilt mine and looking for some people to trade stories and camp.804 852 0032 Jeff. I have 64,000 original miles on mime
FF_Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_Walton View Post
Wow Congrads I own a 72 brave. Bought mine for a.100 dollars feel free to give me a call and I can help u with the plumbing or any thing else I have rebuilt mine and looking for some people to trade stories and camp.804 852 0032 Jeff. I have 64,000 original miles on mime
Senor Walton,I recently acquired a 72 brave (22 foot) in real good shape, you appear to have a good idea about the nuts and bolts of the 72. 1st have you ever heard anything about changing the points type distributor over to the electronic points?? When you start this one you have to really step on the gas to keep it idling (vaccuum leak). Also have you ever heard about having the front springs "rearched"?? thanks Tony
Tonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #11

Well, alas I've gotten to a point where I can no longer afford to keep my Brave. After a long thought process, I've decided I'm going to try to sell it.

I never even got to go camping in it once...because it needed some stuff fixed first, but now I have to get rid of it because I can't afford to keep working on it. :(

Hope you guys have fun with your Braves. They sure are neat looking, I'll say that much.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visinedrops View Post
Well, alas I've gotten to a point where I can no longer afford to keep my Brave. After a long thought process, I've decided I'm going to try to sell it.

I never even got to go camping in it once...because it needed some stuff fixed first, but now I have to get rid of it because I can't afford to keep working on it. :(

Hope you guys have fun with your Braves. They sure are neat looking, I'll say that much.
This too often is the unfortunate end to a plan that is started on impulse and enthusiasm - but not matched by reason and reality...

Major upgrading, restoration and repairs of an over-the-hill RV is not usually cost/time effective, OR for the unskilled and faint of heart!

Last thing most need is another money pit - and often it's far better to pay a bit more for something closer to being reasonably serviceable - than try to resurrect it or bring it back from the grave.

Sorry to hear about this "broken dream" - but might be a good object lesson for other dreaming of travel down the same path?
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #13

enjoy and have fun with that rascal !
yak50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visinedrops View Post

If you have not gotten rid of the Winnie yet these stores may give you a second chance. I use them all of the time for different supplies. Every few days new stuff comes in, new and used. I buy wood, hinges, doors, hinges, nuts,,bolts whatever and cheap. If the mechanics of the coach are OK you can probably find the cosmetic stuff at these stores.
Environmental Initiative: Habitat ReStores -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l
They also sell wood and tile flooring, everything to repair a house. A lot of the material can be used in an RV.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote