Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #1

My 90 1/2 Bounder Solar Project

For those with Vintage Motorhomes, not that "vintage" matters, I'm just completing and testing my solar project. The basic ingredients are four 100 watt solar panels, four 6-volt GC2 deep cycle batteries wired to produce 12 volts and 440ah, and a 60A Morningstar MPPT charge controller. I have fairly well documented the project on our blog... Chasing Sunrises and Sunsets | Preparing for a Full-time RV Lifestyle

On any page, just click on "Solar Project" in the upper right area, under the header photo. I don't guarantee that I have done everything correctly, but I have sure learned a lot and it seems to be working.

Shoot any questions to me and I will try to answer them. I am NOT an electrician, but I HAVE acted as one while staying at a Holiday Express.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #2

Nice Bounder. I have a 92 28'. I have a 135 watt Go Power system with 2 batteries. I have 2 -12 volt TV's and boondock most of the time. I have never drained my batteries below 60%. Why did you go with 400 watts? Why did you install 4 panels instead of 2 with the same wattage? Nice job by the way!

Old 02-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
Nice Bounder. I have a 92 28'. I have a 135 watt Go Power system with 2 batteries. I have 2 -12 volt TV's and boondock most of the time. I have never drained my batteries below 60%. Why did you go with 400 watts? Why did you install 4 panels instead of 2 with the same wattage? Nice job by the way!
Howdy! Thanks for taking a look. I guess the panels at 400 watts, were my attempt to match the amp hours of the batteries. Going with those particular panels was based on the dimensions. They were designed by the manufacturer to fit between the roof AC units and the edge of the roof. Other panels of more watts were of dimensions that were not going to work for what I had in mind. Some would say I'm under paneled (watts). Time will tell. I have room for another 2-4 panels of the same dimensions and wattage. My plan is minimal generator usage.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:31 AM   #4

Nice looking set up. As for the size of you system, it depends on what you want it to supply power to. I've seen larger more expensive systems that run the whole house thru specialized switching inverters. We do a lot of Boondocking and have two 125 watt panels, four group 27 deep cycle 12 batteries, Sun Solar controller and a 200 watt Inverter. We use it to power 36" flat television, satellite system, surround sound, stereo, computer and sometimes a box fan ( of course not all at once). We've had this set up for several years and it's worked just fine. Sometimes it reminds me of the old tv show Green Acres and their fuse panel.

Tags
bounder, solar