Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
My 92 Eagle repairs

I had been hearing this noise in the engine and told hubby I couldn't figure out what it was. I had visions of $$$$$$$ with something wrong. He is finally home for his 3 week rotation, yeah rah! So he stood and listened, I was convinced I had an air leak in a hose somewhere. He goes, I know what that is. He went and got a wrench and turned the belt tensioner, no noise. He said the bearings are going out in the tensioner we need to get a new one. Said one bolt out and back in will fix it.

I also have a problem with my step, its only a couple years old but the door magnet came off. Now the step won't go in and its stuck out, he said he has to look and see how he can fix it. Thankfully I can get it out of the garage without it hitting so I can work on waxing.

We also have a new water tank we ordered and he is going to put it in, the old one he took out last trip home.

Then I'm going to flush the pink stuff out.

DD and I are heading to Charlotte, Michigan probably August 10th, we have an appointment for the 12th, its only 5 1/2 hours from here so the map says.

I'm getting an alignment, having the steering checked, hubby says to much slack. He thinks they will put a new true steer or one of those on it. We want the 4 corner weigh in so I know for sure my tire pressure for the new tires. And he thinks they may want to do the brake pads. I am getting the 44 point check.

But so far nothing really big and I hope it stays that way. Planning on Florida next year from right after Christmas to first of April. I don't like the winters up here. Also we want to come home from Michigan and go to Santa Claus land again, its been several years since we have been there and maybe some other sights. So a short trip for us soon.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #2

Santa Claus land? Christmas (near Munising) or Frankenmuth (chicken dinners!)

Old 06-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #3

Hi Pat. Been a while. Hope you and hubby have a save trip to Charlotte, Michigan.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hubby isn't going to Michigan with us, just DD and I, he will be back in Africa working.

He ordered the belt tensioner $175, will be in Tuesday. We decided to go ahead and order a new K & N filter cartridge. I washed and cleaned it up before last trip but we got to thinking, this thing has likely been on it since new and maybe 22 years is enough! So Napa has to call Monday and get the right size for it. That's around $150 too, still quite cheap with hubby replacing it.

He bought the new line for the water tank and said he got the wrong size so back Monday, we are about 12 miles from a small town and 30 from a bigger one so for us a pain to get stuff like that. When time doesn't matter we order from the net.

The step gave him a workout, it was only put in 2 years ago. But upon reading after the fact I have not been lubricating it often enough. He said it was really hard to push, I had lubed it but he lubed the heck out of it. He did troubleshooting and thinks it ruined the motor. Neither of us thought about lubricating it as often as the manual says which is monthly?? Maybe salt and I didn't wash it good enough from the trip home this spring.

Santa Claus land is in eastern Indiana, it has a different name now, I think its Holiday World.

I am out there waxing and waxing. Actually I bought 3M Cleaner and Wax for fiberglass boats, this one is for light oxidation. The only oxidation there is on the creme, the other paint is fine. I wanted to get the swirls out of the creme, I'm not sure I ever will. But I didn't think it was oxidized until I started cleaning the creme fiberglass. I could likely clean it multiple times before all of it is off, but its looking good as is. Has a great shine.
I'm also cleaning the wheels, I'm using chrome cleaner but only the middle is chrome, still I think it will do fine.

I also used the 3M cleaner on the plastic or whatever the material is around the windows on the inside. It was dirty and nothing I used would clean it. I think this may do the trick, I hope so.

My husband is talking about retiring next fall, he isn't to hep on motorhoming. He said he might take a couple of trips, one will be to Yellowstone we both want to see it. He doesn't care if DD and I do but he says I don't want to go someplace and just sit around and do what. He wants to be home working. I've been working and taking care of things for 14 years at home and not what I'm wanting to do. Should be interesting. He thinks he won't be off 6 months before they offer him another contract anyway. Or he is talking about going to N Dakota in the summer and working after he retires for a few months a year. He will be 69 next August as will I. It was hard for me to transition from working to being at home. But I had so much to do I actually worked harder dealing with rentals and stuff.

DD and I also got us a new small fishing boat, hubby doesn't like to fish either, this should be interesting. He doesn't mind keeping the stuff fixed and all just doesn't want to go. This is an example of someone defined by his work and not knowing how to transition to retirement.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The step repair ended up being simple but took a long time to troubleshoot.

It ended up being the magnet. At the RV shop we went to, the guy rummaged around in a box he had with leftover pieces from step repair and found exactly what we needed and sold it to us for $5! But it would have cost for troubleshooting and fixing it. Now its greased, the door is adjusted and it works fine.

He has now moved on to the water tank. I helped feed the new vent overflow line through. He showed me the old one, it was crimped and he bought a firmer one and is putting it in now.

He has saved us big big bucks by doing these fixes himself.

We had been talking about making the Cadillac tow ready and finally decided to do it. We are having the RV shop south of Terre Haute do it as Tom just doesn't have time. So its going there July 1 for the day.

I'm worried about it getting dinged up and stuff, I have a good mud flap but still sometimes the Saturn would get filthy and I just hate to do it to an almost new car.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The new belt tensioner is on, so my hissing noise is gone.

The water tank is in with a new vent hose, the old was all crimped.

The new K & N filter is on the way, they found the replacement.

He is working on my air horn, needs something.

Tom is running the air hookup for the Cadillac so I can tow it.
Goes to shop for new base plate for Demco hitch.

We need to order a rock guard to protect the front of the car.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I'm doing odds and ends I planned to do all along, wanted the mechanicals working first.

This week I masked off and spray painted all my bay door latches, wow, what an improvement that made. Don't know how well they will weather but sure looks better. Also the black panel on the front. Spray painted my propane tank white, didn't get in under and do the back side. I will when hubby is home and can put the jack stands under there for me. Also I had put oil in the engine last trip and it was fairly cold out so it flowed slower and ran oil down the block and all over as I poured it to fast. Of course it accumulated dust and dirt, so I scrapped and cleaned all that I could get to off it.

Then I sprayed and cleaned the radiators both front and back. The front ran clean and the inside from under the bed did good but bet I can clean them more. I ordered some extreme Simple Green for cleaning things like that and will do it again when we get back. I also used the rust reformer on the bar in front of the radiators then painted it and wire brushing it.

I put silicone lub on all the bay door latches. I finished replacing a lot of the interior latches called birdseye latches and the bull dog fasteners. I found a supplier that had some he was getting rid of just like the original ones!! Talk about luck.

Then I did a lot more staining. Was originally going to just do the wood cross pieces on the ceiling and the molding going around the ceiling. Got to looking at the w/d wood doors, the bathroom wood cabinets and molding. Man when you stain one piece you realize the rest has long ago lost its color due to humidity and yes, there had been leaks so that too.
I have a bit more to do. I went through 2 cans of stain with poly in it. I am doing the doors under the sink next and finishing the bathroom cabinets. Also all the little wood pieces of trim they have around.

I drained the water tank, need to refill, he put the new one in so no more leaks, YES! Tom is going to put in a new water faucet in the bathroom, as its not putting out enough water and the screen is welded on it its so old and you can't take it off for cleaning, guess I could punch a hole in it for now.

The screens in the back panel were coming loose. They are just for looks and ventilation too I guess. They had been attached to the inside back fiberglass with glue, then the screens bolted to them, the wood has rotted over the years and was hanging down, looked awful. I cut 2 new 1 X 2 boards, 2 ft long, have to get a good glue. Tried gluing and clamping yesterday but did not do well, need to get a different glue. I don't think I can scrape the old stuff off which would help.

Tom got my hookup done for the Caddy and also got a rock guard to hopefully keep it from being beat up. Will be a little more time consuming to hook it up to go now. Hope its worth it.

Today I need to clean good inside and get clothes and things ready to go.

For later want to order the paint and touch up places on the stripes that are chipped. Wish painting the coach was cheaper but we aren't doing that. The one stripe that was red is really faded, he said we will get a roll and he and I will replace it, its about an inch or two wide, that will help the looks too.

Also I'm thinking of having the local upholstery shop recover my 2 dining table chairs and redoing the fabric on my window valances also recovering the head board. I want to get rid of the burgundy colored fabric around them, it has been pretty and is still in good condition but I want lighter brighter colors in there. I will make a new window curtain for the front window also. But this will be later in the year.

Now got to make sure Coach Net is current, the travelers friend!!

She is old but has gone 10k so far, will see if she keeps hanging together. He said he would get me a newer one but we figure we would just have to start all over with the repairs and upgrades again so why bother.

Hope to leave Saturday.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Picture was to large

Tags
repair, repairs