Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Matt,
That is the exact valve that I was talking about, That should do exactly what you are looking for. Glad that I could be a small help to you. That is what this Forum is supposed to be about, RVers helping out other RVers.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Today was a very productive day for me. I wrapped up the dual fuel tank fix, I installed the new tank switch valve and it is set to display fuel level for the operational tank. Everything is working as it should when tanks switch and as a bonus the tank that was not connected came with 3/4 tank of good gas in it!! Here is the finished plumbing job:

I ordered a switch from a mid 90's Ford that actually says "Fuel" at the top of the switch and shows "Front" and "Rear" for the two switch positions. I will use this to replace the current unlabled generic looking toggle switch that controls the tanks.

I also picked up my new house batteries, found the burnt out solenoid for the momentary/single/dual switch replaced it with a 100 amp rated continuous duty solenoid and figured out why I was not getting any battery power to the coach. The previous owner was not the sharpest knife in the drawer he could not figure out why there was no battery power to the coach's 12v system. I pulled out the battery boxes and found the disconnected 12v lead from the battery to the coach and viola it is working as it should.

Once I swapped the solenoid which was located in the generator cabinet I figured why not try out the 6.5KW Onan Generator that I was told was a working used replacement but the PO could not get it to fire up. It started immediately and provided good power to the coach I load tested it with the rear AC and TV and it seems good to go. I still need to go through it and give it a good look over but at this point I am pretty ecstatic.

So that left the water system to check. I fired up the pump which worked perfectly but quickly found a leak issue. It appears a section of the copper pipe is damaged, of course the section that appears to be damaged is under the tankless water heater. At this point I shut it down and called it a day. All in all I am quite happy and once I fix the leaking water line and test out the whole water system I will be able to say the coach systems are all good to go!!!

Matt

Old 08-09-2015, 06:32 AM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
Looks good Matt, glad that everything is falling in place. I would add a piece of metal between the exhaust and the fuel lines to act as a heat shield, that exhaust gets real hot when you are running down the road.
Frank
Old 08-09-2015, 08:12 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great job Matt. Back in the seventies, the manufacturers were using copper in the motorhomes. It was a bad idea because copper just draws cold in. I would not replumb the coach to get rid of it because there are thousands of coach's out there doing OK with the copper, but I would do all repairs with polybutelene. You can find fittings that adapt copper to poly. Your copper froze so you may have enlarged copper pipe that will not accept the fitting. You can overcome this by getting further away from the frozen area.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, seems more and more folks are pulling these oldies from wherever and putting them on the road again. I'm a old Mopar guy from way back. The 440 Super Commando w/727 Torqueflight was a awesome combo in anything it pushed!!! My older sis and brother in law had a early 70's Winnie Chieftain with that setup,brings back memories. With our and (mostly everyone's these days) Triton v-10 I'd be curious to know your gas mileage. I'm thinking you are putting out maybe 375hp? And 425trq? Anyway great to see folks getting these rigs restored and USED as they were intended. Keep us informed.
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am enjoying the repair and retrofit process, I like a challenge and so far parts of this process have been like a puzzle trying to find all the pieces and figure out where they go. The challenge of not having wiring diagrams etc, make it interesting. I think I have dug up just about every resource I will be able to find currently I have:
-Owners Manual
-Chassis Service and Parts Manual
-Onan Service Manual
-Domestic Fridge Manual
-Furnace Manual
-Tankless Water Heater Manual

I built out two binders to keep everything in hard copy format, I have a thumb drive on my RV keychain that has a digital copy of everything on and its on my laptop too. LOL I have been recording the parts numbers for all of the service items I have been buying for the RV too, that way it will make it easier in the future to get those parts because I have found that parts counter guys are all but useless if they cant punch year, make and model into their computer.

Here are a couple of extra pics. My new gas tank switch was in the mailbox when I got home last night:

This is the Onan 6.5 that I got up and running for the first time yesterday. I also have a second complete Onan 6.5 sitting in my garage, the PO gave me the original generator that was in the RV when he bought it and couldn't get to run. So I have a complete parts generator which is pretty cool!

If you look the bottom right corner of the picture you can see the old solenoid that was burnt out. That's the one I replaced to get the power situation sorted out.

Frank - Yeah I think I will bend up a heat shield, the picture makes the exhaust look a lot closer to everything than it really is but a nice heat shield won't hurt and I am a fan of anything that can help fending off vapor lock!

ga travler - yeah from what I can see I have copper pretty much everywhere, I am not going to replumb the whole RV but I will be using Pex and SharkBite or GatoBite connections for all of my copper repairs. Since I live in Colorado winterizing the RV is a must by no later than Mid Oct.

RattVader - I have always loved Classic Cars and built quite a few over the years so when I found this Sportcoach it was perfect. I traded a project Jaguar XJ with a Chevy V8 conversion for it. I'm guessing right now gas mileage is probably in the 6-7 MPG range. I have only driven her about 20 miles so far just to get her home. I will be doing a complete tune up and fluid change on the drivetrain next weekend and need to get a new Speedo cable built so I can have a functioning odometer again and i'll start tracking MPG. I am planning to keep the drivetrain fairly stock my only real drive train upgrades may be a new intake manifold to pick up a little more HP and Torque and I want to pick up a Gear Vendors OD unit for the 727 as well.

Well its time to get out and back to work on her! Stay tuned for more to come.

Matt
Old 08-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
wow! That really looks good!
On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnD View Post
wow! That really looks good!

Thanks Lynn! Tomorrow I am hoping to get my new fuel tank switch and fuel pump master switch installed and start on what I hope is a minor water leak fix. I did buy 10 feet of pex and enough connectors to patch 5 leaks, hopefully I won't have that many and the rest can go into the spare parts bin for future issues if they arise.

I'm kinda bummed, I just realized this board has the edit post feature disabled :-( I was doing some Photobucket album clean up today to get everything more organized and when I went to edit my original posts to fix the picture links I realized I can't. I think this is the only forum I have ever been on that won't let you edit. Bummer.

Matt
Old 08-10-2015, 01:12 AM   #37
bap

very happy ur getting things in order,,i to love breathing new life into old stuff,,to bad i saw the valve you needed to late i actually have one i would have thrown your way...

WARNING,,,,RESTORING VINTAGE RV,S IS ADDICTAVE AND MAY CAUSE BALDING BY SCRATCHING UR HEAD TO FIGURE THINGS OUT,,,LOL...but you have found ALOT of great folks on here that are eager to help,,,and we have been known to get off topic a time or 2...lol..

keep up the great work and pix...
Old 08-10-2015, 06:56 AM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
Matt,
Looking good, that switch will fit nicely and look factory. The edit feature on your posts is only good for a short time, not positive but I am thinking it works for an hour or so after your post.
Frank
Old 08-10-2015, 07:32 AM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Matt: when you go to check for leaks, use air not water. Works just as good and not as messy. The $10.00 water regulator from WalMart will regulate the pressure.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:48 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Everyone!

Well today was the kids first day back at school so it was not as productive of a day working on the RV. I finished up trimming and wiring up the new switches. I tried to use the existing openings in the dash so I didn't need to cut it up any more and I think it came out pretty good. First is the before pic:

You can see the household utility plate in the middle of the dash.....yeah the two toggle switches are for the fuel system, the one to the left controlled the tanks and the one to the right is the power switch for the fuel pump.

Here is the newly installed switches:

They aren't perfect but I was working with existing holes that were under the block of plate. Overall I am pretty happy with them and think it looks a lot better than before and works a lot better too!. The toggle I got for the fuel pump has a red LED in it that is lit up when the pump is on.

Tomorrow I will tackle the plumbing.

Matt
Old 08-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #41

Freightliner Owners Club
Looks good Matt, just put the screw back in the holes and it will look like they belong there.
Frank
Old 08-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Plumbing.......wow it is worse than I thought, lol! So I started looking at everything and the PO had covered the majority of the accessible pipes with foam pipe covers and liberally sprayed everything with yellow expanding foam. That shoulda been a clue.

So when we last spoke I had turned on the water pump and knew I had at least one leak. So I pulled the tankless water heater to access the area that burst. I picked up 10 feet 1/2 inch Pex and a variety of Sharkbite brass couplers and fittings. I pulled off all of the foam and yellow spray foam to get an idea what I was working with and created a plumbing diagram. I replaced the main cold water line feed from the pump to the kitchen area where it burst. My plumbing has threaded compression fittings as well as traditional sweated on connections. The section I replaced was done in a large section utilizing those fittings.

I then fired up the water pump and found another break in one of the 3/8 inch sink faucet lines. So I did a closer inspection of the pipes I could get my hands on and found an additional rupture on the hot water line from the tankless hot water heater thar goes back towards the bathroom.

Tomorrow I head back to Home Depot to pick up more 1/2" Pex, 3/8" Pex and more fittings. I think I may just redo all of the under sink plumbing in Pex to clean it up and make it worry free. I'll replace the whole hot water line like I did with the cold water line.

I'll get some pics of everything tomorrow, I completely spaced it out today. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the plumbing towards the back of the coach is in better shape cuz it does not appear to be as easily accessible as the front.

Matt