Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #57

Nice work you have done. It is amazing how some things will clean up with some elbow grease. Stove top looks new as does the carpeting and other areas. The copper plumbing was an interesting feature in a motorhome.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2015, 08:12 AM   #58

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Matt,
Sorry that you can't use it right away, but it will be ready when you can. You can be very proud of what you have done, and ou have done an excellent job, when you get the paint done it will be an excellent MH.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #59

Vintage RV Owners Club
Caulking sucks!

Well I started the pre paint prep work this morning, I bought Sikaflex-221 to reseal all of the seams for these reasons

From their description: is a high-quality multi purpose non-sag 1-c polyurethane sealant that cures on exposure to atmospheric humidity to form a durable elastomer.
Sikaflex-221 bonds well to a wide variety of substrates and is suitable for making permanent elastic seals of high adhesive strength. Suitable substrate materials are wood, metals, metal primers and paint coatings (2-c systems), ceramic materials and plastics
Characteristics and Advantages:
  • 1-C formulation
  • Elastic
  • Low odor
  • Resistant to aging and weathering exposure
  • Non-corrosive
  • Can be overpainted
  • Can be sanded
So I got the passengers side of the rig all scraped out and resealed. I suck at caulking and am very happy that it can be painted over! LOL I don't see how some people can get those perfectly smooth and clean caulk lines?

Tomorrow I'll get the drivers side done and hopefully have time to start pulling off the trim that I don't want to mask off. I have my drill on Sat and Sun and am off from work Monday and Tuesday. Plan is to hit the whole rig down with scotchbrite red pads on Monday and get her all wiped down after words with a paint prep cleaner and then start masking off. If all goes well I should be able to start spraying on Monday, I want to get the main body done by Monday or Tuesday then give it a day or two before I mask off the center stripe.

Keep your fingers crossed for me because if my plan works out I will be camping on Sept 11th in a bright and shiny looking rig on the inside and out.

On a side note I am thinking about adding "Hammerhead" under the existing Sportscoach logos like a model designator. I think she looks like a shark already and with the new paint scheme will look even more like one! So what do you all think?

Matt
Old 08-20-2015, 11:43 PM   #60

Freightliner Owners Club
Matt,
That sounds like a winner, I am pulling for you to get the paint done on the main part of the coach by Tuesday.
Frank
Old 08-21-2015, 12:00 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
How do men know how to do this?
Do they come out of the womb knowing how to do plumbing and wiring?
Lol
Old 08-21-2015, 01:39 AM   #62

Vintage RV Owners Club
Frank,
I think it is doable. I will try to remember to get some in progress pictures, I have a bad habit of getting wrapped up in a job at hand and forget sometimes.

Auntie K,
I just jump into project with both feet and no fear, sometimes I get in over my head and forums like this are a great place when that happens! Youtube is also a great resource as you can find a 100 videos that show you how to do just about anything. That's how I learned how to use PEX and Sharkbite fittings for plumbing. It also helps that two of my neighbors are older gentleman that have been RV'ing for years and think my Vintage RV is cooler than their newer diesel pushers so they are always coming over to lend a hand, give advise, and share a beer. LOL Add in that I have been a "gearhead" since about the age of 10 when my uncle took me for my first ride in his 1968 Corvette Stingray.

Well I am heading to bed, have to get up early and start back up on the caulking.....I dread it...LOL

Matt
Old 08-21-2015, 05:35 AM   #63

Matt, I bought a nifty caulk device at Home Depot in a package. One was a caulk remover and the other was a caulk "smoother". I could never get the caulk line right either. Now it looks professional everytime. Great investment for a couple of bucks.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #64
bap

MATT. i love the hammerhead idea,,,,,and im actually pretty good at the caulking thing....i guess all my years of running mig keeps me nice and smooth,,lol,,,,actually one of the things i enjoy....
Old 08-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #65

Vintage RV Owners Club
Tom,
I am going to have to go take a look at that! Because what I just finished will not be acceptable in the future on top of pretty new paint! LOL

Bap,
I am thinking now in letters the size of the current Sportscoach lettering I will do HAMMERHEAD and then offset and below it in lettering half the size I will add By Sportscoach! My caulking got a little better on the drivers side, I guess like anything the more practice the better.

I finished up all the caulking except for the roof which I will get to at a later date. I also peeled off all of the pinstriping and logos and actually broke out the sandpaper to hit some spots on the fiberglass cab that I don't think the scotchbrite pads would take care of. Man I can't wait to start spraying paint!

Matt
Old 08-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #66
bap

cant wait to see it,,,,,,i love the look of your coach,,,,---the hammerhead sure fits it,,,
and i absolutly love fishing for sharks,,,,---i hooked into a 12ft hammerhead that actually yanked my rod an reel out of my hands when the drag stuck,,,---arggg!!!!
Old 08-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #67

Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Matt, I am with bap, the hammerhead sure fits the look of the coach.
Frank
Old 08-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
Well I managed to make a quick stop at Camping World on my way home after drill last night and picked up 4 x 8' sticks of 1/2" screw cover trim to replace all the dried out, cracked, and missing trim on my external lockers. i also picked up a roll of 100' of the 1" flexible trim. So I'll be able to replace all the external stuff with the repaint. I am excited to get started tomorrow!

Matt
Old 08-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #69

National RV Owners Club
Good looking motor home and it still looks great in the inside.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewc View Post
Well I managed to make a quick stop at Camping World on my way home after drill last night and picked up 4 x 8' sticks of 1/2" screw cover trim to replace all the dried out, cracked, and missing trim on my external lockers. i also picked up a roll of 100' of the 1" flexible trim. So I'll be able to replace all the external stuff with the repaint. I am excited to get started tomorrow!

Matt
Be careful when you install the trim. It goes in backwards of the way it looks like it should be installed.