Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #99

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Matt,
Looking good love the oldies. I have been going to redo my front strips and have everything ready just nervous about doing it with spay cans . Your Pics looks good so I'm going for it. I have the paint already and have removed the old strips. I just have too do it. I'll take up your offer on you friends graphics, really looks nice. I have kept the interior original on mine, you can see the funky interior in my pictures when you have time.
Thanks and keep the pic's coming.
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #100

Matt, as beautiful as your classic RV is there are RV Parks out there that won’t let you in because your classic RV is over 10 year old. I have to figure that they’re the losers and not you!

My 1994 Holiday Rambler, admittedly not as nice as yours, was turned away from Oak Forest RV Park on the east side of Austin because of the dreaded 10 year rule. BTW in over two years of full-time RVing it was the only place so far that’s turned me away.
Steve

Old 09-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #101

Matt, back in 1964 while still in high school I painted my first car, a 1955 T-Bird, with multiple cans of Sherwin Williams red spray paint. The hardest part was dealing with the overspray that would settle on freshly painted areas leaving a mat finish. How were you able to overcome that problem and achieve such a nice finish?
Steve
Old 09-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #102

Matt,

I found this posted on the 460 Ford Forum and thought that it might be of interest to you with your Mopar project.
Here it is:
Yeah, just a good set of headers an pipes can do a lot for you. It's pretty cheap for the gain if you do the work yourself.

Mopar Muscle Magazine ran some dyno tests on a 440 in 2001 using stock manifolds, Hedman shorty headers, and Hedman Elites (long tubes). At 5200 rpm, the 440 put out 79.1 more HP with long tubes than with stock manifolds (about 19.3% HP increase). At the same rpm (5200 rpm), the 440 put out 90.2 ft/lbs more torque than with stock manifolds (about 19.4% torque increase). It showed about a 6.1% torque increase at 3000 rpm.

The shorty headers also showed significant increase, but in most cases I think I'd just go for long tubes if I was doing a header upgrade.

I haven't seen any charts or anything for exhaust size, but true dual exhaust always helps.

Extra “free” hp is always good (free meaning it shouldn’t affect gas mileage).

Steve

BTW I just put new headers on my 460 Ford and am looking forwards to my next journey with the added hp.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #103

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Awesome job!!!!
RVM #124
We're the new guys you see at Campground......
2001 Four Winds/ Thor P32 Hurricane 8.1L 31k miles
MarkEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
The only caution I would have on headers is this: We put a set on our 1976 Executive 32' with a 440. The positive was you no longer burn out the bottom seal on the valve covers from the heat of the stock manifold. The negative, was that they were too close to the starter and would get it so hot it would not work. We even built a heat shield and that didn't help. Sadly we put the stock manifolds back on it. This was all 30 years ago, but you should have heard that thing with the headers and glass pack mufflers we had on it. Sounded like a real hot rod and did run better. Randy
Old 09-03-2015, 11:34 PM   #105

Vintage RV Owners Club
Once again thank you for all the great comments everyone they really help keep me going even when I run into little roadblocks or doubts!

First let me get my friends info out there for anyone looking for help with remaking classic graphics or looking for custom new ones. His company's name is Sticky Vinyl Graphics the Owners name is Erron and his e-mail is erron@stickyvinylgraphics.com Feel free to hit him up and tell him I sent you his way.

Steve - I have heard about that 10 year rule I am hoping to avoid it and honestly after seeing the prices at some of the newer camp grounds I am thinking that we will mostly be looking at State and Natl park camping. In Colorado there are a number of really nice State campgrounds that have power and water and the price is only $20.00 a night!!! I am looking forward to checking other states and hoping they are priced similarly.

As to the paint job, I made sure that it was as close to a windless day as possible which cut back on a lot of the overspray being blown around and settling on the already painted areas. There is still overspray though and the paint job is by no means a show car finish, LOL Trying to keep a "wet edge" while painting something this large is impossible in 85 plus degree weather with spray paint. The fact that 90% of the rig is covered in textured aluminum really gave me a forgiving canvas to work with though and is why it came out as nice as it did.

Some of the things that I really hope will pull everything together even more is the little stuff, the new graphics, new exterior lighting, replacing all the faded and falling apart plastic and rubber moldings and trim with shinny new black stuff. Adding new black 3mm rubber side trim strategically in a couple of areas that are not "as nice" as the rest of the rig. At the end of the day I know she will never look like a new diesel pusher but if I can have her looking like a clean and classic Vintage Rig I will be more than pleased. I think I am on the right track as I have already had 2 separate people pull up to my driveway while I am working on her asking if I will sell her. LOL

Steve and Randy - I may be on the quest for more power over the winter, but I want to get my first two trips under the belt to decided on which way I want to go. When I did my full tune up I added a high performance coil. She has a decent full dual exhaust right now, I was thinking about headers but will have to give it more thought things are pretty tight under the dog house and while I'd love some free horsepower that might not be the best way to get it. I will more than likely be swapping out the intake this winter and may look at a fuel injection set up like Holley's in the future. I am also thinking seriously about a Gear Vendor over/underdrive kit.

I started in on some more of the trim work today and am still tinkering with a frustrating generator issue. More to come and I promise some fresh pics in the near future.

Matt
Old 09-12-2015, 02:31 AM   #106

Vintage RV Owners Club
The day finally arrived! We left the Denver Metro Area on our maiden voyage to Jellystone at Estes Park. The drive up into the mountains was pleasant and the rig handled well wit only one or two climbs slowing her down a bit. For the majority of the trip staying at speed wasn't an issue :-)!

I will be replacing the starter after this trip though as the solenoid was getting sticky when hot after we arrived in the park. We got set up without issue and had a steady stream of people stopping by and asking questions and just generally checking the rig out. The Hammerhead seemed pretty popular! Lol

Me and my sons cooked up a nice dinner over the campfire and got settled in. My fiancé is driving up in the morning to meet us and we have a full day of activities planned out for tomorrow. So far the trip has been great!

Here are a few pictures of the Hammerhead in its natural surroundings:

Matt
Old 09-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #107

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Matt,
Looks great, glad that you are getting to enjoy her.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:20 AM   #108

Your rig is beautiful! Congratulations on your first outing with your new RV! I’ll be heading to Ruidoso at the end of the month on my RV’s first trip since I replaced my failing 460 V8 engine last spring. I pray that my trip is as happily uneventful as yours has been.

BTW now that you know that it’s a hill climber, I hope you’re being careful on the downgrades and that you’ve at least put in fresh brake fluid. I could tell stories about old brake fluid and resulting brake fade. For the topography in your area and the weight of your rig I recommend nothing less than extreme temperature DOT 5.1 (not to be confused with DOT 5.0).

Steve
Old 09-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #109
bap

MATT. buddy the hammerhead looks great in its habitat,,,..a true shark out of water i would be amazed if it didnt get a role in next years sharknado movie...lol

stay safe my friend and enjoy....
Old 09-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #110

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm glad to hear it's getting lots of positive attention. Most modern cars and particularly motor homes seem to all look alike to me. Something like what you drive stands out and has actual character to it.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:04 PM   #111

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks everyone, the first trip was an absolute blast and I can hardly wait until we head back out on the 25th. When I got home my new LED porch light arrived as well as an e-bay package of Nutone accessories.

I now have the blender, knife sharpener, mixer and bowl, and meat grinder. I also ended up with another motor assembly as a back up. I won the package for the same price that Nutone wanted for a new blender and I was not 100% sure the new blender would mount to the 1977 base in my rig. The only other attachments I really want are the can opener and maybe the food processor. I kinda wish the package had one of those rather than the meat grinder because I honestly don't know how much meat grinding I will be doing in my RV....LOL

So I promised some pictures with the new LED lights and I just found out how hard it is to get decent pictures of the RV lit up at night. I am loving the new porch light that is about a 1000 times brighter than the single bulb light I had before. Well since I promised here they are:

Next up is to swap out the starter and I'm going to replace both radiator caps I had them both off and noted that the rubber seals looked pretty dry rotted and cracked.

Matt
Old 09-14-2015, 10:54 PM   #112

Vintage RV Owners Club
I just read though this entire thread and truly enjoyed it. Thanks for bringing such a cool vintage back to life. And most of all, thanks for sharing the journey. The Hammerhead rules!

CaptainGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote