Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #113

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Matt,
Nice job, looks great.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 06:56 AM   #114

Hi Matt,

Iím curious, Iíve been so blown away by how nice your rig looks I just now began viewing its functionality. What does the Hammerhead have in the way of storage? When I purchased mine I was also looking at an older Winnebago and ended up choosing my Holiday Rambler because of storage considerations. However, since I live in my HR full time storage is a bigger issue.

Steve

Old 09-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #115

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the great compliments everyone. Restoring/modifying anything is a labor of love I think and it feels great when other recognize the hard work that goes into bringing one of these often neglected vintage rigs back to life.

-Steve,
Storage wise I have 4 overhead compartments and the TV cabinet in the lounge area. The kitchen storage is limited with 3 overhead cabinets, and 2 banks of drawers totaling 12 in all. The under sink cabinet holds one of my two furnaces so space there is limited. I have a second under cabinet cubby in the kitchen under the stove that passes through to the exterior of the rig that has limited storage. The rear bedroom has 4 overhead cabinets and one under bunk cabinet that is relatively large and passes through to an outside door. The bathroom has the largest closets, 3 in total that are actually quite large as well as 2 smaller cabinets and under sink storage. On the exterior in the "basement" I have 2 compartments 1 that I keep all of my fluids in, my leveling jacks, and tire changing jacks in and the second one holds my hoses and sewer lines. A third compartment in the rear hoses the generator. Lastly I have a relatively decent sized "trunk" at the rear of the RV that holds my house batteries and a decent sized rolling tool box that holds my spare parts and tools I keep on board for mechanical and house repairs.

After packing for my first camping trip I found myself trying to dedicate cabinets for certain types of storage i.e. pots and pans and dishes, pantry, clothing storage, linen storage, etc. I think I need to do a few more trips to get everything locked into place but my overall feeling is storage will be adequate for my needs as a weekend and hopefully week long warrior over next summer.

I think it would be a challenge though trying to downsize from a 3000 sq ft home into a 31' RV!

Matt
Old 10-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #116

I find it ironic that I am in the process of painting my coach silver and grey when I ran across your thread. Looks good! I am also running an antique plate (5 year issue) and a M500 chassis. Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 10-08-2015, 05:18 AM   #117

Matthewc,
Great rebuild.
About your starter, check the wiring to the solenoid before you replace the starter. Sometimes poor connections or bad wiring can result the voltage being too low to engage the solenoid. Burned contacts in the relay can do this, too. Magnets loose strength as temperature increases, so the voltage may be enough when cold but not when hot.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #118

Parting out Sports Coach

Hey Matt, in case you are interested, there is a person that is parting out a '79 Sports Coach in the Colorado Springs area. Here is the craigslist posting link:
https://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts/5266051791.html
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:52 AM   #119

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Matt,
Looks great really like the colors. like another poster said a shark out of water.
I remember when I got ours I had it in the shop for some exhaust work to be done and the guy wanted to put on headers. I said no not yet. Now I wish I would have. This shop has a young kid or guy that just does awesome work he put duel exhaust on my 64. He cuts all the pipes then has them on racks under the car or MH before he puts it all together. I had both systems done in stainless so they should last forever...
The 454 gets up and goes but I bet it would really go with some headers.
Thanks for sharing.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #120

Monaco Owners Club
I can't believe you rattle canned that whole thing. I did that to my 1979 Granada back in 1991. It took 23 cans of flat black paint and my hand hurt for a week. Nice job man.
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:30 PM   #121

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
LOVE IT! My first tailgate RV was a 1975 Sportscoach...
Old 10-29-2015, 04:32 PM   #122

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10309133_10205192945096647_2896639427863333382_n.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	110675   Click image for larger version

Name:	11042667_10205192942936593_2212731357546497174_n.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	110676  

Old 05-05-2016, 12:34 PM   #123

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Everyone! Well I guess I kinda disappeared after I put the Hammerhead into storage for the winter, it sucks that the only place I have to park her at my house is in my driveway which blocks my garage and makes it a pain getting my car out, LOL.

Hopefully I will be pulling her out of storage this weekend and getting back to work. She faired well this winter while in storage and was checked on several times.

I am going to be addressing a couple of issues straight away in hopes of having her ready for some longer week long trips this summer.

-Issue 1 was a minor overheating issue I ran into coming home from our last camping trip of the year. Temps were in the mid 90's and we got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for about 45 min's which led to her running a little hot. To address this I will be pulling the radiator to have it boiled, rodded, pressure tested and all of the fins straightened. While the radiator is out I am also going to replace the water pump and fan clutch both parts are fairly inexpensive and it just makes sense to swap them while the radiator is out.

-Issue 2 cold starts are a PITA once she is running she runs like a top with no issue and restarts right away, its just the initial first start of the day that takes way to long. I'm not sure if the choke is working but a new carb may be in order.

-Issue 3 My Onan 6.5 NH-3CR 16000J 6500 watt generator has a switch issue that I fought all last summer. I replaced just about every replaceable part of the start circuit and the wiring in the start circuit is per the factory diagrams (checked about a 100 times). Yet with everything connected if you depress STOP the Generator starts, runs, and provides good power. If you depress START it chugs and coughs but does not shut down. I have a new buddy who is an electrical genius who said he will bring over his meter and is confident he can figure out where the issue is.

-Issue 4 Hot water heater, when I bought the hammerhead she had a brand new tankless water heater partially installed. I followed the directions to finish installing and the dang thing doesn't work. Hoping my buddy can give me a hand with this too otherwise I may just pull it and install a traditional hot water heater.

Other stuff that aren't really issues, A friend gave me a 100 Watt Solar panel and small controller/float charge controller in the fall. I wired it up temporarily and set it up on the roof when I put her in storage. Solar kept my house and engine batteries topped up all winter long. I am now impressed by the power of the sun and am considering upgrading the controller, adding another 100 watt panel for now and mounting the panels to the roof. The controller I am looking at will support up to 6 100 watt panels so that would give me room for future upgrades.

There are tons of other things I still want to do but time and money will come into play. I'm getting married in January and we are saving like crazy for the wedding so my slush fund is not what it used to be. LOL

Matt
Old 05-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #124

Matt, it's good to hear from you. I hope to watch any progress you make this summer. Congrats on the upcoming wedding. They are pricey so I understand the funding stress. Good luck and take care!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #125

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hopefully the progress will be steady throughout the summer! Today I started on the cooling upgrades, sadly I only got about an hour into it before the rain and hail started. You have to love spring time in the Rockies.

I pulled the front grille and removed the AC condenser and Transmission cooler from the front of the radiator and have all but two of the radiator bracket bolts removed. Once the weather clears up I will drain the Radiator and remove the radiator hoses. I also need to disconnect the transmission lines from the radiator. Then I get to figure out how to snake the radiator out. Looking at it I think I can lean it forward and should be able to slip it out through the grille opening.

And because everyone loves pictures here are two very exciting pictures.

I have a decent amount of room to work with so hopefully this won't be too painful.

Matt
Old 05-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #126

Vintage RV Owners Club
So the rain and hail turned to a light drizzle and I was able to get back to work. I drained the radiator, pulled the tranny cooling lines and plugged them with only minor leakage, got out the rest of the bolts, pulled the fan and fan clutch to give me more room to tilt the radiator, removed a support bracket that ran between the headlights to give more space, and then was able with only some minor finagling able to twist and tilt the radiator enough to get it out without damaging it. This thing was much heavier than expected!

Once the radiator was out of the way I replaced the old steel water pump which, I believe is the original one due to it being painted Mopar blue like the rest of the engine with a new Bosch heavy duty aluminum water pump. I also replaced my fan clutch with a new one and straightend the fins on the fan since it looked like at some point someone dropped something into them while the engine was running and they were a little tweaked.

Monday Morning I'll drop the radiator off at the shop and they are going to boil, rod, clean, and pressure test it, so it should be as good as new. Worst case scenario they end up re-coring the radiator which will be more money.

Here are a couple of pics of the progress/carnage

Radiator pulled out, the fan cowl was only held on by one of 6 bolts, time to dig through the bolt bucket and find 5 suitable replacements.

Front of Engine

Pile of parts

Well that's it for the night.

Matt