Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
I just bought my first RV 1989 sun stream high rise and of course it has some issues and I have no manuals.Where can I get owners manuals for my rig? Also I could a rving for dummies guide or advice from you forum users on getting started in the right direction. Thank you and I am looking forward my new adventures please post anything you think I may need to know.

Rsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Give the unit a once over and then list the items you need addressed on the forums. I had a vintage unit and found the manuals by google or youtube

trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #3

Have Flyrod Will Travel
87 Coachman Leprechaun
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Recommend patience and persistence. If you are totally new to RVing then there are several things to learn about. No big deal, take your time and study up. The internet is a wonderful resource for RVs; somebody has likely asked your question before somewhere online. When you have a specific question, it will help people if you include information specific to your model: e.g., what chassis and engine does the coach have? What is the length? That sort of thing, depending upon the specific problem you are addressing.

Here are some general things to check for a unit of that age:
Tires! Check them for signs of cracking/weathering on the sidewalls and tread. If the tires are old and cracked, replace them. The WILL fail you on the road.

Underneath, check the suspension/airbags to make sure they hold air, if present.

Water supply: I bought one old motorhome similar to yours one time and ended up having to bleach out the entire water system. Go find the water pump, fresh water tank drain, and get a feel for how the unit is plumbed. Clean it all out. They can get pretty funky when they sit for a long time.

As far as owners manuals go, keep an eye out on ebay or on Gulf Stream specific forums. You might find one that way.

You will probably have better luck finding a chassis manual for your rig. It could be a John Deere or Oshkosh, perhaps. Not sure without more information. Once you have that in hand you can do the engine, tranny, differential service, and go over all the belts and hoses. I had several old hoses let go on me on my old rig on the P-30 chassis. Easier just to replace them all when doing a coolant service.

Best of luck and have fun!
Mojavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats on the new RV. Like others have said, study up, check the rig over, make some repairs and try to get out and enjoy your RV as soon as you can. I've had mine for 7 months now, been out for 7 weekends and am loving it!
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A
mikebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
But most importantly.... post lots of pics!!!!!
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
What chassis is it based on... thats #1 question.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Welcome Rsquare, We bought a 1982 Pace Arrow last season and have been having a blast. Most important keep it between the lines.
We are looking at another 4 inches of snow between tonight and tomorrow. I had to take her to the shop yesterday (mind you it was 50 above yesterday) and had the airbags worked on, That was almost 50 miles RT to the N and then had to go 50 miles RT to the S to the other end of town to get my meds, instead of stopping at home we took the MH instead of taking our Caddie, I just love driving her.
ps, the air bags work great now they don't leak air, best thing I have gave her...
Again Welcome,Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Read a lot of what you think might interest you here, you'll be surprised at how much you can learn.

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #10

Thanks everyone How dose the electrical system work such as switching from 12volt to 110 to generator do I have to switch stuff around? And does using 110 charge the 12dc?
Rsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Your coach is wired with 12V DC, from the house batteries, to power the interior lights, furnace, vent fans, porch light, and entertainment features inside. When your shore plug is plugged into a 120V power source, it will provide 120VAC to the air conditioner, microwave, if present, and power to the AC outlets inside the coach for your appliances, hair-dryers, etc.

When you are plugged into shore power or have your generator running, you are charging your house batteries. When no AC is present, you are operating solely off of the stored charge in the batteries.

On some models of RVs, people have inverters installed. These will convert 12VDC to 120VAC. The AC will power certain small appliances from select outlets, digital TVs and media players, but won't run an air conditioner.

Have fun!
Mojavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
something not yet mentioned is due your first camping in the drive way,got this advice when we started and is a good idea,pretend you out in the boonies it will give you an idea of what you don't have on board yet.
then take a shake down cruise we took a two hundred mile trip in a big circle and learned several important things so when we took our first long trip it went flawlessly good luck and welcome to the rving world
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #13
Like above, find out what chassis you have and you can quite possibly get the manual for that from HELMINC.com. that will take care of all the mechanicals and electrics on the chassis. They reproduce many original automotive manuals . You might also chk/subscribe to rv travel.com. They have an extensive library of rv books . and also have a weekly and a daily tips e-program with all things rv, and it's free. Good luck, Jerry~~~~~~~~~~Sea ya!~~~~~~~~~~~

3squirrel6 is offline   Reply With Quote