Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:21 AM   #15

1976 Coachman Cadet

I just purchased a 1976 Coachman Cadet and I too believe I got a good deal at only $1200. It is my first TT as well. It appears that this trailer is still in original configuration and surprisingly good condition.

If ya'll still need pics, I took a full round of pics.

You are right. At the front of the trailer there is a built in bench with storage underneath that goes in a U shape around the front of the trailer from the door all the way around to the sink. It is the same width as the sink cabinets down both sides and narrower at the front. The right and left storage areas are covered with a loose board that has legs on the inside edge as well as another board the same width. The legs and tops slide toward each other and the spare boards go on top of the openings revealed. This appears to form a king size bed surface.

I plan to modify this to a queen size and use the extra space for end tables on each side of the bed. I will spread out the cushions to get them out of the way and use a queen size air matterass on top.

The right storage has access from exterior baggage door. The front storage has a fresh water holding tank that goes almost all the way across the front of the trailer. The left side of this tank has the fill tube, a pump tube, and a drain tube. The left storage has the inverter for 12v dc and breaker box with two breakers.

The center of the bench area does have a pole table mount the same as in the dining area.

Above on the front wall is a storage area with three doors and on both sides is a short run of angle iron. There are catches on both sides that allow the front of the overhead storage area to drop down and become a twin size bed.

Everything works except the frig has been replaced with an all electric model. Haven't pulled it out to see if it is dual power yet, but know it doesn't do gas. The toilet has also been replaced with a newer model.

I do have some sagging in a few places and the only weak spot in the floor is at the front right where it looked like the fresh water storage tank leaked from the end plug.

My first project will be to redo the kitchen backsplash wall and counter top

Hope this helps.

Chaz

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
oh yea I definatly want to see some pics of your trailer , does sound like the set up is the same though, all that was left in it when I got it is in the front the left cabinits that had a platform with cushions on it kinda like a couch under is the hot water tank, pump that does not work and is not hooked to anything and the inverter and elecrical box with 2 off/on switches, the rest had been taken out and the top of the front just had a board going across for a shelf so I never really knew what it looked like originally http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5...vhost=outdoors

Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
more pics please, love to see all of it inside and out
Old 06-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #18

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g7...chman%20Cadet/

ok, here are the pics that I took as soon as I got it home and started checking it all out.

BTW, the VIN # was on a sticker on the right side of the entry door. There was nothing on the tongue of the trailer I could see.

Chaz

Yours looks really nice. I hope to make mine as good in the future
Old 07-01-2009, 07:00 AM   #19

The VIN # is actually on the passenger side of the a frame. I was originally told it was on the drivers side, but upon further checking i found it on the passenger side, it is there.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #20

Any thoughts on my roof idea yet?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #21

I haven't even looked at my roof yet. No leaks that I can see from the inside. I think your tape and coat idea should work.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #22

Should i use the double sided eternabond tape between the 2 pieces of the roof or is there something better for that????? Im not exactly sure on how to do this. I wanna get my tarp off the camper. Also is it ok to us a elastomeric roof coating to roll on the roof? Reason being is they sell it at the local hardware store (Menards).
Old 07-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #23

I think I will fit in with you on this thread. We just bought a 79 Cadet 25 foot trailer. It appears to be all original.
It has some water leak damage, but not bad at all.
All the upholstery is like new, and so far everything works, but we haven't put water in the tanks or tried the water heater.
We were planning on using this for a guest area at home, but it is so nice, we will probably be camping in it.
I found the vin number inside the one kitchen cabinet.
Does anyone have a guess where the 12 volt battery would be hidden? There is a place on the tongue for one, but that seems too far from the ac-dc converter which is clear in the rear under the lower bunk.
Are there any common wheels that will fit these guys? They look a lot like an older Ford car wheel to me.

I'll try to get some decent interior pictures. They might help someone with configuration, although it seems like they are all a little different.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #24

Just got back from a trip with mine last weekend. Had a great time and it pulled great. Lost a vent cover on the way back. I replaced the whole thing with a new tinted one this week. First time I have been on the roof. Didn't take long at all and I was surprised at how firm it was. I took off the old one, put putty on the bottome and stuck it in place. I also replaced the poddy vent with a new one. It had lost its lid as well. I have a lot of ideas for redoing stuff for future too.

Slek, Ford is 4-1/2" centers and Chevy is 5" centers on the bolt pattern.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:47 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To insure a tight seal on the new roof vent, use some Eternabond over the joint and screw heads. Guaranteed it won't leak.

Ken
Old 07-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #26

I finally got to tearing into the bathroom lastnight, looks like im going to be doing a little work in there too as far as the roof is concerned. I have a leak on both sides of the seams near the rear which i am going to be putting eternabond on.

As far as the battery is concerned it is suppose to be in the front of the camper unless someone has rerouted the wiring. I dont know what bolt pattern is on these either.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #27

As I promised I have put some pictures in a Picasa album for your viewing.
I got a great deal on this camper, so good I won't mention the price because it would be bragging, and I bought it from an RV dealer.
http://picasaweb.google.com/slekjr/1979CoachmenCadet#

Comments are welcome and if you see something I have missed please point it out.

I have also noticed I'm not the only train lover on this forum.

The battery on the tongue looks like the only place for it, so thanks Sgt.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow thats a nice one, htanks for the pics, got tied up with some other things around here but will be getting back to hopefully finishing mine soon just have to put in the celing and inside back together and seal the roof, and it will be ready your pics though do tell me how mine would have looked at one time , think it was the same wood grain look on the outside, they painted over it with black spraypaint, wish I could just take the black paint off with something without taking off the original paint job