Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #1

My first TT - '77 Coachmen Cadet

Picked up a 1977 Coachman Cadet this weekend for a great price. I will have to do some fixing on the ceiling and floor. First the ceiling, someone had replaced it before, but there were lazy and only went to the cabinets and not inside them. The cabinet in the front has a big sag inside of it, and i want to replace it.....How does the cabinet come off the ceiling/wall?

2nd The floor has some soft spots in it, my question is can i just replace the floor up until the table and kitchen or should i take them out and do the whole floor from side to side front to back?

If i take the ceiling out and the insulation i should be able to see the roof right?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #2

This is my first TT so be easy on me.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Pictures please?
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #4

I will try and get some up tommorrow
Old 06-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT_KQ View Post
I will try and get some up tommorrow
Here is the only pic i have at work right now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0531090854.jpg
Views:	1220
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	661  
Old 06-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
First off, I'd recommend taking a peek at Bhueler's "OH MY, Not what I wanted to see thread". She's got a 1974 Coachman Cadet that she's been refurbishing. Also, she'd probably love you forever if you posted some pictures of the front end of the trailer from the inside, she's trying to figure out how her's was originally laid out.

Second, the cabinet's are usually anchored to the wall via screws, you'll need to pop the bottom of the inside of one of the cabinets off (its usually a piece of Luann board held down with staples) to access the framing and where the anchoring screws are at. Also, you'll probably want a mirror to look at the bottom edge of the top section of the cabinet's frame, odds are the screws are counter sunk. Worst case scenario is they're screwed in place from the top of the roof frame instead of from underneath.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #7

Im kinda in the same boat as her with the front arrangement because they also tore it out and only half arsed it back together, but im just going to put a queen bed up front and call it good. I do know that there was another table with cushions on 3 sides at one point and time with the fresh water tank in the front and convertor/hwh on the side.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think you are right about the arangement of the front of the trailer, when I was taking out the old floor I found the holder of what used to hold another table like in the dining area , so I think that it was maybe cushions and cabnits in a u shape in the front with the table in the middle to go down for another bed , with the water tank running across the front of the trailer, but since I can hook up to city water and it works, but I didnt get a flow with hot water so I am not sure if I have to light the hot water tank to get a flow or not or maybe valve wasnt open, didnt look real close just ran the water to it to find leaks, which I did and fixed that, do you know if the hot water tank must be lit before you get a flow or is the pump nessary? I didnt test the pump its disconected except for the wiring, and I am not sure that was right.the cabnits on the walls found 4 screws that went into the wall and 2 in the front that go into the celing so the 2 into the celing, if you take just those out you'll be able to get the celing board out , however, that didnt make it come off the wall, so I figured before they put the sideing on, they put screws from the outside into the cabnits then put the siding on, and I am not gonna take the siding off so I paneled around it, since they are all solid and stable I am not gonna mess with it, now the celing boards go from end to end and they are I think put in before they put the roof on, so I gotta still finish scraping and getting it all out around the edges all the way around, now that its not soggy and wet its alittle bit harder but there is enough room to slip in the boards because the space between the support beams and where the celing is, and you can see the roof and the insulation when you take the celing out, on the floor, there were soft spots so I pulled up those spots plywood replaced the floor joists that needed it and put new plywood and tile down, here take a look at what I found and have done so far http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5...vhost=outdoors
Old 06-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
oh I like that one, wish mine were alittle bit smaller mine is a 21 ft.best way is to take out the screw in the top of the cabinets and it will release the celing boards , there are 4 screws that hold it to the wallls however after taking those out it still didnt come off the walls so I think they put in a few screws from the outside before putting the siding on, so I am gonna slide the boards in over the top of the cabnnts to the wall on each side, so I am gonna have to get some boards that I can bow alittle to slide them in place, Im having a hard time getting whats left of the celing boards out at the very edges of the celing where the cross beams are but once thats out I can begin putting new celing up which will be great, so gonna try to do it without opening the roof, took a few weeks to scrap all the junk off the roof seams and I got a pucker in the roof to so I have to adress that before I seal it all up, since I have acces to the roof from inside I may just add support joists which would give it a better pitch for the roof as well to eliminate the low spots in the roof and get rid of the puddling to before putting in the new celing, while I have access to the roof from the inside I might as well fix that, on the floor just cut out what was soft and rotted then found only in those spots were the joist for the floor rotted so I just replaced those and replaced the plywood cut out enough to I could see how far the joists were rotted in the back had nothing but the one cabnet and those were held in with screws into the floor right where you open the little doors on it and there is a strip of wood made up like a box attached to it that goes around along the wall that has screws attached to it so it eaisly comes out , but back there I had to replace the joists from one side to the other but was really easy to expose and replace I added some pics of the celing removed so you can see that part to http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community
Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
nice I wish the old owner wouldnt have painted over the original paint job on mine with black paint, in alot of parts you can see where it has been chipping and pealing that it was a wood grain finish on it originally, not sure if I can take off the black paint they put on with out removing the original finsh that was there in the first place or not
Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
we are all here to help each other, so just ask away, poeple here are great I couldnt have got this far with fixing my trailer with out all these people helping me, so its kinda like they are a big part of the repairs, I take pics then show them here and people look and tell me what and how to fix stuff and what to look for and how to do everything, Id be lost without people here, anything you need to ask just ask always someone here helping
Old 06-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #12

Yep theres alot of informative people here thats for sure, you can tell just by reading some of the other topics. Right now im in the process of reframing the front because of a leak noone fixed. Then from there im going to put a new floor in except under the sink becuase i dont wanna rip that out.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
thats sounds good, I didnt have to rip out my sink and stuff either lucky it was jut a few spots to fix, Id love to see pics of your trailer if you dont mind, I been putting pics in that folder and people here look at it and advise me what and how to do stuff otherwise I'd be lost and wouldnt know where to begin, right now still tring to get the old celing out from around the edges, now that its dry its hard to get out, just keep pluging away the cool thing about the pics is we all watch together how its going
Old 06-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #14

I opened my roof up the other day and now i have seam on the top, my question is what would i use to seal it now? Would i use the double sided eternabond and place it between the 2 pieces and then put a piece of single sided eternabond tape over the seam or should i just put a roll on the top seam?