Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerritt View Post
As someone I think has already suggested there is a two stage power valve available that is not subject to rupture from a backfire through the carb. Also, were you able to find the idle adjustment screws?

John
After I found the BB in the distributer Vac line, replaced the line and got it running almost like new again I suddenly remembered that we totally forgot to connect the wires back to the alternator. I crawled under it friday, connected the two wires and then I had to go and do something before I could start it up. Later I came out and started the motor and one of the belts was squealing, so I shut it off and started it again, more squealing, what the heck, it was running nice and quiet and all I did was make one screw down connection and one plug in connection. I got so mad I shut it off and just walked away.
Yesterday we found ourselves at an RV dealer looking at new RV's as a way, I guess, to get my mind off the issues that keep popping up.
We saw a Jayco Melbourne 27F which was way out of my price range and a Winnebago Aspect 26A which was much less and had that curved roof which I liked much better, even tho the Winnie was less we liked it better, they both had the same floor plan with two slides, but that's just a dream, for now I gotta go back to reality and get this Silver Eagle 32 finished.
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
After I found the BB in the distributer Vac line, replaced the line and got it running almost like new again I suddenly remembered that we totally forgot to connect the wires back to the alternator. I crawled under it friday, connected the two wires and then I had to go and do something before I could start it up. Later I came out and started the motor and one of the belts was squealing, so I shut it off and started it again, more squealing, what the heck, it was running nice and quiet and all I did was make one screw down connection and one plug in connection. I got so mad I shut it off and just walked away.
Yesterday we found ourselves at an RV dealer looking at new RV's as a way, I guess, to get my mind off the issues that keep popping up.
We saw a Jayco Melbourne 27F which was way out of my price range and a Winnebago Aspect 26A which was much less and had that curved roof which I liked much better, even tho the Winnie was less we liked it better, they both had the same floor plan with two slides, but that's just a dream, for now I gotta go back to reality and get this Silver Eagle 32 finished.
Turns out it was the alternator belt doing all the squealing, it had just a little play, I gave it a squirt of WD-40 and it stopped immediately, gotta get help to tighten that up. I had no idea that when the alternator made electric it put that big a load on the engine that it could cause the belt to slip and squeal. It is charging, I did look at the gauge to be sure.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #129

If alternator was disconnected previously, it will charge heavily and cause belt to slip some. Do not over tighten. If you can turn the alternator using your fingers and twisting the alternator fan, it is too loose. If not you are OK, let it charge some. Lots of vintage vehicle alternators squeaked the belts on first start up. We are spoiled by serpentine belts.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
If alternator was disconnected previously, it will charge heavily and cause belt to slip some. Do not over tighten. If you can turn the alternator using your fingers and twisting the alternator fan, it is too loose. If not you are OK, let it charge some. Lots of vintage vehicle alternators squeaked the belts on first start up. We are spoiled by serpentine belts.
it was too loose and I got it tightened down a tad more. it is fine now. The carb kit from Holley arrived today. It is now called a high performance TRIC-KIT, Wow it's got about a Kazillion parts, guess I will remove the carb tomorrow and get started. In the instructions it tells how to drill out the plugs for the idle screws, no wonder I could not find them, they plugged them with soft metal
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #131

Carb overhaul - pictures pictures for YOUR reference during re-assembly

Even before you start removing it from the engine so you can remember where things connect to

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Carb overhaul - pictures pictures for YOUR reference during re-assembly

Even before you start removing it from the engine so you can remember where things connect to

Dave
Taking pictures from every angle, during removal several things popped up.. The body hold down bolts, one was only finger tight, the other three were just a little more then finger tight.

We took primary bowl off so far, looks to be very clean
There was an important note came with the kit that two stage power valves are no longer in production and are being replaced with a new single stage unit.
From what I see on the supplied replacement chart I have a #16 valve and it should be replaced with a 65, the one in the kit is a 45. Actually the one in the kit is stamped 4.5
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #133

Agree lot of the time this was in the early 1980's you had to add a decimal inbetween the numbers
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #134

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You might be able to get a two stage power valve from Ford by giving them your carburetor number. Not sure but I think going to a single stage which works fine for autos isn't a good thing. Mileage isn't good to start with in a MH but a single stage power valve will probably make it worse.

John
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #135

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I found the Ford abbreviations at this link from a Ford truck site.
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - Vacuum Diagram Acronyms
Old 06-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #136

The number represents the level of vacuum needed before the power valve opens up (6.5hg or 4.5hg). The power valve enriches the air/fuel mixture under load once a certain vacuum point is reached. When you depress the accelerator pedal, engine vacuum drops. When the vacuum level drops to the trigger point (6.5hg or 4.5hg), the valve opens enriching the mixture. Used to help the carb transition from just using the primary barrels to using both primary and secondary barrels.
http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...ech%20Info.pdf

Single stage vs 2 stage power valve description: http://books.google.com/books?id=_fT...0valve&f=false

Dave
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerritt View Post
You might be able to get a two stage power valve from Ford by giving them your carburetor number. Not sure but I think going to a single stage which works fine for autos isn't a good thing. Mileage isn't good to start with in a MH but a single stage power valve will probably make it worse.

John
This engine and carb was made in 1989 especially for vehicles with a gross weight rating above 14,000 pounds. when I spoke to the Holley rep on the phone I told him it was for an RV and he assured me the power valve in the kit is what I need.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
The number represents the level of vacuum needed before the power valve opens up (6.5hg or 4.5hg). The power valve enriches the air/fuel mixture under load once a certain vacuum point is reached. When you depress the accelerator pedal, engine vacuum drops. When the vacuum level drops to the trigger point (6.5hg or 4.5hg), the valve opens enriching the mixture. Used to help the carb transition from just using the primary barrels to using both primary and secondary barrels.
http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...ech%20Info.pdf

Single stage vs 2 stage power valve description: Holley Carburetor Handbook--4150 & 4160: Selection, Tuning & Repair - Mike Urich - Google Books

Dave
Thanks for all this information, where do you get this stuff anyway?

I think it will be fine with this 45 power valve that came in the trickit, from what I got after all that reading about carbs and power valves is that they cannot be blown out and in my case extra fuel when needed will be added later rather then sooner, I will need to mash down more on the gas pedal to lower the vacuum to get more power going up a hill
Old 06-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #139

Back fire thru Carberator chances its toast my knowledge cams from old school drag racing
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #140

Yep, you read it all correctly (Google can be your friend). I would prefer to let an mfg like Holley make the claim than myself. Some may disagree with an mfg's claims based on actual experience though.

Holley claims that in 1992 Power Valves were redesigned to prevent the blowout (their words not mine). You will be installing a new one anyway so it is a moot point in your case.

Dave

Tags
ford