Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Yep, you read it all correctly (Google can be your friend). I would prefer to let an mfg like Holley make the claim than myself. Some may disagree with an mfg's claims based on actual experience though.

Holley claims that in 1992 Power Valves were redesigned to prevent the blowout (their words not mine). You will be installing a new one anyway so it is a moot point in your case.

Dave
I was tired of all the cleaning of the two fuel bowls and I have the new parts on them and went out to the RV to see about cleaning and painting the intake manifold so it did not look so ugly.

I noticed the part of the manifold the carb bolts down to seems to have another part to it. This part is steel, has the 4 barrel holes and it appears as if there is an extension on it going rearward with the EGR valve attached at the end. I started looking all over it with bright lights and a mirror and I think that part comes off, it does have a another vacuum line attached to it at the front. Any thoughts before I go and break something.

I recall in the beginning of this thread on an EGR discussion that when the egr opens some exhaust air gets mixed in thru the intake manifold, could this be how that happens

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #142

In this case I will have to fend ignorance. Would need the Ford engine manual to clearly ID the device. Pics always help though.

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #143

Quote:
In this case I will have to fend ignorance. Would need the Ford engine manual to clearly ID the device. Pics always help though.

Dave
OK here are the pictures of what I tried to describe, including one pic of the carb before removal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9417.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	369.0 KB
ID:	41281   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9416.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	41282  

Name:	DSCN9415.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	41283   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9408.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	41284  

Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #144

That is one heck of an adapter plate. Ford really needed a lot of vacuum ports at this end of the carb based emissions evolution.. Not sure from this view how the EGR valve connects with the exhaust side. Must be another port connection under that adapter plate. I do note that the drivers side primary and secondary barrels are much darker than the passenger side. Is that oily or just a carbon build up? Carbon build up could indicate the EGR valve has been sticking open. That would cause the engine to run rough (to lean). Though that could also be part of the BB in the vacuum line effect. If oily, then you might have a intake manifold gasket leak. Wish I could be more helpful but without a service manual it is difficult to know exactly what is what.

Dave
Old 06-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
OK here are the pictures of what I tried to describe, including one pic of the carb before removal
That be the egr plate I discussed earlier in this blog. Remove the plate and inspect for burn thru from egr exhaust. Also you will need a new gasket for reinstallation. If the plate is burned you can get one at any napa parts store.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
That be the egr plate I discussed earlier in this blog. Remove the plate and inspect for burn thru from egr exhaust. Also you will need a new gasket for reinstallation. If the plate is burned you can get one at any napa parts store.
The plate does come off???? What is it called when I look for a gasket?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #147

Right as above,,, there Has to be a gasket under that plate...Could be a snug fit where the exhaust comes up to the EGR valve, and it will be carboned up. And I agree Dave,, that's one heck of a plate !!! Bilito, make sure you get the carb nuts "snug" ,, but Don't overtighten them... And go easy, a little on one corner, a little on another... It's easy to break off a corner of the carb, especially when compressing two gaskets !!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Right as above,,, there Has to be a gasket under that plate...Could be a snug fit where the exhaust comes up to the EGR valve, and it will be carboned up. And I agree Dave,, that's one heck of a plate !!! Bilito, make sure you get the carb nuts "snug" ,, but Don't overtighten them... And go easy, a little on one corner, a little on another... It's easy to break off a corner of the carb, especially when compressing two gaskets !!
I gave the plate a tap with a small hammer and it came loose immediately, and yes there is a gasket under it and yes there is evidence of a vacuum leak.

I went to NAPA with the old gasket, it took them a few minutes and they said it is called the "EGR Spacer Plate" Had to order a gasket, 4 bucks, pick it up tomorrow. There was carbon in the EGR track but not a lot, it was not plugged up, cleaned it out and made it almost shine with my Dremmel tool. I have cleaned and painted the plate and have also soaked the carb Body . Guess I will split the base of the carb, take it off, and see what is in there, clean it real good and put it all back together. if you recall I mentioned one carb bolt was barely finger tight well that is the corner where the leak was. It probably contributed to the shaking.

I'll get more pictures

I sure am learning a lot about the 460 and my next RV will probably have a V-10
Old 06-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
I gave the plate a tap with a small hammer and it came loose immediately, and yes there is a gasket under it and yes there is evidence of a vacuum leak.

I went to NAPA with the old gasket, it took them a few minutes and they said it is called the "EGR Spacer Plate" Had to order a gasket, 4 bucks, pick it up tomorrow. There was carbon in the EGR track but not a lot, it was not plugged up, cleaned it out and made it almost shine with my Dremmel tool. I have cleaned and painted the plate and have also soaked the carb Body . Guess I will split the base of the carb, take it off, and see what is in there, clean it real good and put it all back together. if you recall I mentioned one carb bolt was barely finger tight well that is the corner where the leak was. It probably contributed to the shaking.

I'll get more pictures

I sure am learning a lot about the 460 and my next RV will probably have a V-10
Top and bottom shots of that EGR Plate and the Gasket. You can see where it was leaking in the corner near the EGR and a shot of the cleaned motor prior to some paint to make it look better
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN9418.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	41319   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9420.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	41320  

Name:	DSCN9421.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	41321   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9426.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	41322  

Old 06-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #150

Sounds like your making progress
Old 06-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #151

Sad thing is that your coming across so many things that were either a problem or on the cusp of being one that anyone who reads this entire thread learns something. I am not totally convinced you and the wife well trade it in at the end of all this. You will know more about this rig than many. On the plus side though, for most of the systems, they are just variations of the same theme on all rigs.

Keep up the good work,

Dave
Old 06-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #152

Dave you are like me I have few trusted friends you are one if only jim elliot was here to help would I sell my 1985 not a chance after the work if done I know what I have I tow 5500 lbs no problem I do own a 2008 artic fox 30U that has not been moved in 4 years my truck works to hard I love my old class A back to op need help on carb keep us up to date I'm still worried about the power valve size
Old 06-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #153

Quote:
Sad thing is that your coming across so many things that were either a problem or on the cusp of being one that anyone who reads this entire thread learns something. I am not totally convinced you and the wife well trade it in at the end of all this. You will know more about this rig than many. On the plus side though, for most of the systems, they are just variations of the same theme on all rigs.

Keep up the good work,

Dave
Dave, I will be glad when this job on the 460 is over and done with so I can go back to figuring out what happened to my generator.

and

Every time I go into the RV I see the new levels panel hanging off the wall on a few wires. Gotta have someone under it to help me trace the wires to each tank including the propane tank so I can get that working, the only thing I have it working so far is the water pump.

As far as trading of to a newer unit, I also have the bug now, We both want a used late model 26 or 28 ft B+ Winnebago Aspect , the short one has the corner bed, the larger one has the walk around bed

The Jayco Melbourne has the same sizes and simlar floor plans as the Winnebago but they cost more and the Winnebago has an AC outlet in the bathroom, That's important to me. The TV in the bedroom on the 28 ft Jayco swings out revealing a hidden storage behind it.

Sorry, had to get the subject at hand for a tad, getting to be a very long and very informative thread. I now know stuff I never thought I would ever have the need to know. I have learned a lot about older Ford 460's
Old 06-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #154

Quote:

Keep up the good work,

Dave
Dave I need your help again, My carb has a diaphragm type choke pull off, I was disassembling it to change the diaphragm that came in the kit and Forgot how it goes back together, do you have a drawing of that assembly?

Tags
ford