Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
Found my vacuum hose routing decal and took a picture at 10 megs, I have no idea what most of those abbreviations are.

Just was running the engine and looking for vac leaks and found that since I removed the two air pumps to get to the distributer and timing marks, all those little steel lines going into the exhaust manifold are forcing exhaust gas back up the lines and coming out of the disconnected 1 inch hoses and it was a good pressure, I held my thumb on the tube and I could feel the air behind my thumb getting warmer

When you look at the decal you will not believe how many vac hoses I have to deal with.

MY RV was made in 6/91 and the Oshkosh chassis with motor was made in 8/89 and I have the documents for both, the motor was changed in March 1999 with 26K miles, it now has around 30K something miles on it
here is the decal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9396.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	40892  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #100

Note the reference to Heavy Duty Vehicles over 14,000lbs. That was the justification for continuing to use a carb in 1989 on a Ford product.
It also says timing is 8 deg BTDC

PCV, Spark Advance, EGR, Thermactor, and gas vapor recirculation systems.

Are you a lottery winner?

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Note the reference to Heavy Duty Vehicles over 14,000lbs. That was the justification for continuing to use a carb in 1989 on a Ford product.
It also says timing is 8 deg BTDC

PCV, Spark Advance, EGR, Thermactor, and gas vapor recirculation systems.

Are you a lottery winner?

Dave
I am so confused
Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #102

Quote:
I am so confused
From all the specs I can find it seems to indicate that the centrifugal advance starts to work it's magic above 1000 rpm, below that it is the vacuum advance moving it a few degrees ahead which is why they say to disconnect the vacuum line from it when setting the timing, and to keep the rpm at 800 Max.. That keeps the advance to zero, that clears it up in my mind

Does anyone have any info telling me what all the abbreviations on the vacuum hose routing decal stand for and what the diff colored hose's and dotted lines stand for. There must be a page somewhere that explains all that stuff

I see on the decal 3 sources of manifold vacuum, is there a possibility of more that is not shown? Two of those sources split into three lines, very confusing.

A friend came by with an 88 Coachman with the same 460 carburated engine and it was purring and as smooth as a kitten and it did not have all those hoses and vac lines all over the place.

Curious, same engine, 3 years sooner, less emission stuff, 4 barrel carb and running smooth and quiet
Old 06-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #103

I think I said before,,, pull all that JUNK off of the good 460,, and you have a good 460.... Plug the lines,,, time it,, rebuild the carb,,, no prob....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #104

Quote:
I am so confused
OK we removed the alternator and we did what we forgot to do and checked the timing mark on the damper against the piston at TDC with a wire hanger and the distributer rotor was pointing right at the number one wire.
Put it all back together minus the two air pumps, plugged every hose and vac tube we could find, reinstalled the alternator and started the the motor.
BTW we tightened that distributer hold down and left the timing set at 10 degrees BTDC
The motor ran very rough at first and slowly it started to smooth out. The exhaust flow out the pipe is much smoother now, no popping, but the motor is still shaking at idle. It was running so rich all the plugs had black soot on them, I guess as it ran it burned that stuff off and smoothed out things
I have no suction at all on the vac advance line and I may have the wrong vac tube connected. I did check that the vac advance moves by sucking on a hose I connected to it, takes a lot of suction to move it.
We let it run till the temp came up to 140-150 and shut it off
While we were under there we tightened up all the belts
Looking down into the carb with the engine off I noticed that when I move the accelerator one of the two sprays from the accelerator pump sprays better then the other
Gonna call Holley after I get something to eat and order that Carb renewal kit
Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #105

Quote:
OK we removed the alternator and we did what we forgot to do and checked the timing mark on the damper against the piston at TDC with a wire hanger and the distributer rotor was pointing right at the number one wire.
Put it all back together minus the two air pumps, plugged every hose and vac tube we could find, reinstalled the alternator and started the the motor.
BTW we tightened that distributer hold down and left the timing set at 10 degrees BTDC
The motor ran very rough at first and slowly it started to smooth out. The exhaust flow out the pipe is much smoother now, no popping, but the motor is still shaking at idle. It was running so rich all the plugs had black soot on them, I guess as it ran it burned that stuff off and smoothed out things
I have no suction at all on the vac advance line and I may have the wrong vac tube connected. I did check that the vac advance moves by sucking on a hose I connected to it, takes a lot of suction to move it.
We let it run till the temp came up to 140-150 and shut it off
While we were under there we tightened up all the belts
Looking down into the carb with the engine off I noticed that when I move the accelerator one of the two sprays from the accelerator pump sprays better then the other
Gonna call Holley after I get something to eat and order that Carb renewal kit
Almost forgot, re the Vacuum advance, that does work off a direct vacuum pulled straight from a source on the intake manifold and not thru one of those temp operated vacuum things cause I may not be getting any advance at idle.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #106

My old school memory says the distributor goes to ported vacumn( non at idle)
Old 06-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
My old school memory says the distributor goes to ported vacumn( non at idle)
The line that is connected to the distributer advance can is coming off one of those 3 way splitter vacuum deals and is pulling zero vacuum, even when warmed up and revved up, zero vacuum. However one of the three hoses that was connected to a vacuum device on one of the air pumps is pulling a vacuum, about 18 inch's, I did not have a hose long enough to connect that source to the distributer can to see what would happen.
The engine is running pretty good and starts right up and the exhaust has that big V-8 rumble. The engine is still shaking, even when I rev it up, it still has a shake to it.
Right now it is running a lot better and there is no popping from the exhaust.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #108

Quote:
here is the decal
Does anyone have the legend to this decal that explains what all the abbreviations are and what the diff colored and dotted lines stand for
Old 06-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #109

Quote:
Does anyone have the legend to this decal that explains what all the abbreviations are and what the diff colored and dotted lines stand for
Got the Carb Kit on order from Holley, should be here Sat or Monday
Turns out I have a #4180 carb and the the Renew Kit Number
is #3-1346 should anyone need to sock that info away
Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #110

Good deal holly's are easy some people don't like them. Remember what I said about the proper size power valve just because its in the kit doesn't mean it is correct for your motor
Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #111

Sorry double post
Old 06-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Good deal holly's are easy some people don't like them. Remember what I said about the proper size power valve just because its in the kit doesn't mean it is correct for your motor
YES !!! Good point ! Also make sure all gaskets match the old ones,,, these kits usually fit many different model carbs... The power valve has a number on it, like 65, 75, 45, etc,,,

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford