Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #1

My "New"1980 Pace Arrow 30-foot Motor Home with 28K miles

As a vintage motorhome enthusiast (and now first-time owner) wanted to say hello. I just posted a full bio in the new member area.

Here's a photo of my rig.

Here's a link to some quick cameraphone photos of my Pace Arrow.

I'm working through the issues, right now trying to get the generator to run, I have some sort of fuel issue, complicated by the fact that the tray the generator rests on, is bent and won't slide out. I think that the fuel line may be the problem but can't fix the problem until I can gain access to the top of the generator.

I'm online finding manuals and printing them out. Found a few for similar Pace Arrow eighties motorhomes.

I'm hoping to connect with like-minded RV-ers here in Southern California, and to help me get my rig road worthy, especially owners of similar Pace Arrows who can help guide me (I'm a total newbie).

Looking forward to contributing. I'm an automotive writer and hope that you will take a look at my web site, AutomotiveTraveler.com and the recent article I published on 1973-1978 GMC MotorHomes.

Richard Truesdell
Editorial Director, AutomotiveTraveler.com, Automotive Traveler Magazine
AutoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome, Richard - that's a real classic you got there, I suppose. That vintage was just after they switched away from wooden wheels and the hooped canvas top, right?...
Old 07-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #3

what fridge do you have i can hook you up with a lot of 1983 they were same as my 1985 southwind
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the generator getting fuel. If feeds from a dip tube in the main tank. If you are less than about 1/4 tank, it will not feed fuel.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Richard, happy you found this site, it was the one I was going to recommend, a good place to be and ask those who know much more than me.

Mike aka kartvines

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTraveler View Post
As a vintage motorhome enthusiast (and now first-time owner) wanted to say hello. I just posted a full bio in the new member area.

Here's a photo of my rig.

Here's a link to some quick cameraphone photos of my Pace Arrow.

I'm working through the issues, right now trying to get the generator to run, I have some sort of fuel issue, complicated by the fact that the tray the generator rests on, is bent and won't slide out. I think that the fuel line may be the problem but can't fix the problem until I can gain access to the top of the generator.

I'm online finding manuals and printing them out. Found a few for similar Pace Arrow eighties motorhomes.

I'm hoping to connect with like-minded RV-ers here in Southern California, and to help me get my rig road worthy, especially owners of similar Pace Arrows who can help guide me (I'm a total newbie).

Looking forward to contributing. I'm an automotive writer and hope that you will take a look at my web site, AutomotiveTraveler.com and the recent article I published on 1973-1978 GMC MotorHomes.

Richard Truesdell
Editorial Director, AutomotiveTraveler.com, Automotive Traveler Magazine
Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #6

Richard.. would you by chance happen to have a manuel for a 1979 pace arrow (1977-1980) would work.... I can't find one anywhere online or at any dealerships or bookstores etc....

cheers
madsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #7

Madsma, I'm using a copy of the 1983 owner's manual provided by Kartvines from his excellent web site. Although the coach is externally different, most of the systems are the same.

Whem2fish, I have an Ei Trav'ler gas/electric fridge. I posted about it at the end of the thread here.

I believe that as far as the generator problem goes, here's what I have found, from the same thread.

First, I believe that the fuel pump is below the switch panel because the flexible line on the inlet side I traced back to the fuel tank (and the line said "fuel" on it). I removed the line and it was totally dry. I tested the wire running from the coil to the fuel pump and when I hit the switch the test light showed that the line went hot, yet there was no apparent suction on the inlet side to suck the fuel from the line going back to the tank.

Can this fuel pump be rebuilt, does it have to be replaced with an OE-style pump or can I use a generic low-pressure universal pump from AutoZone, Pep Boys or the like?

Best wishes,

Richard Truesdell
Editorial Director, AutomotiveTraveler.com, Automotive Traveler Magazine.
AutoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
See my post to your other thread.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #9

whem my pump went out i got a generic low volum low pressure off e-bay about $25 buy it now price to prime push and hold stop
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Richard

When I change my fuel filter on the generator, I lost the gasket, and because of that the pump did not work, my wife found I laying on the ground, so I cleaned it and reinstalled it and the pump again worked, you can see what I am referring to on my website under generator parts page 11, lower page item number 3 part number 149-1446

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SZVOEhJWZD...al0001-013.jpg

Good Luck

Mike aka kartvines

Quote:
Madsma, I'm using a copy of the 1983 owner's manual provided by Kartvines from his excellent web site. Although the coach is externally different, most of the systems are the same.

Whem2fish, I have an Ei Trav'ler gas/electric fridge. I posted about it at the end of the thread here.

I believe that as far as the generator problem goes, here's what I have found, from the same thread.

First, I believe that the fuel pump is below the switch panel because the flexible line on the inlet side I traced back to the fuel tank (and the line said "fuel" on it). I removed the line and it was totally dry. I tested the wire running from the coil to the fuel pump and when I hit the switch the test light showed that the line went hot, yet there was no apparent suction on the inlet side to suck the fuel from the line going back to the tank.

Can this fuel pump be rebuilt, does it have to be replaced with an OE-style pump or can I use a generic low-pressure universal pump from AutoZone, Pep Boys or the like?

Best wishes,

Richard Truesdell
Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #11

Thanks buddy I will def print that off and show the other half!!
madsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:

Best wishes,

Richard Truesdell
Fantastic site! Thanks for the link! The 1983 material seems very suitable for our 1985. So that's what an owner's manual is supposed to look like.... Gee, that takes all the mystery out of owning one of these coaches.

Your 1983 seems to be in beautiful shape for its vintage. Was it restored or just well taken care of?
TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for your feedback, I try to host sites that benefit as many people as possible My 83 has been restored by me over the last year.

This has been my first attempt with a motorhome, I have restoring vintage travel trailers as a hobby for a few years now. Once restored I sell them and buy a new project.

Mike aka kartvines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicPilot View Post
Fantastic site! Thanks for the link! The 1983 material seems very suitable for our 1985. So that's what an owner's manual is supposed to look like.... Gee, that takes all the mystery out of owning one of these coaches.

Your 1983 seems to be in beautiful shape for its vintage. Was it restored or just well taken care of?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #14

Nice looking rig. Did you get the generator to run yet?
I was noticing the battery switch in the one photo and how the battery cable is attached. Having been a mechanic since about 1967 I will tell you to expect trouble with this. I know that these are in common use but are a frequent source of no start. Not so much a problem with the switch part, but the cables either corrode badly or work loose under the clamp. I suggest if you want to keep the switch buy a ring terminal that fits one of the bolts on the clamp and the cable and solder it on to the cable. Then you can secure the ring terminal to the switch with one of the bolts.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote