Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #29

Set up in RV Park now! Fulltime next weekend!!

Well, I got my baby moved to the RV Park where I'll be living for a while .. months? years? who knows. Folks I met seemed great as did the Park Mgr. I feel real good about this. There is a huge park with several lakes adjacent to the RV Park .. great for the dog!

smashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyd111 View Post
As stated, a 77 does not require emissions testing. My 72 has strait headers and that's it.. Strait pipes
Straight pipes are all well and good for drag racing but motorhomes require torque to get moving and some restriction in the exhaust actually helps the engine make more torque. Headers to a well designed dual exhaust with high flow mufflers will actually make that engine perform better where straight pipes just make it loud as hell and slower going up hills.

Just sayin....

EndeavorV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashburn View Post
Well I found my dream motorhome .. sort of. I had a very small budget so knew I would be doing some 'fixin up' ... but ..

Here's my 1977 Journey (25'). I paid $1500, it has the Dodge 440 auto (727?) and ran well the 100 miles back home. I got it in Keystone CO and brought it back to Denver so had to pull the Eisenhower Tunnel/Pass .. it cruised up it at 50mph with little issue. It seemed in pretty good shape overall, but did have a roof leak and ceiling damage. I am a Tinner by trade (sheet metal) so knew I could fix the roof issues fairly easily. The black water tank is busted but can be replaced, and the appliances, even air conditioner, seem to work well.

Thanks!
Wow what a project but those older vintage rigs are so very cool! Congrats on the purchase and good luck in the resto!

Here is a pic of "The Executive" I saw this weekend, another cool vintage RV.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeavorV10 View Post
Straight pipes are all well and good for drag racing but motorhomes require torque to get moving and some restriction in the exhaust actually helps the engine make more torque. Headers to a well designed dual exhaust with high flow mufflers will actually make that engine perform better where straight pipes just make it loud as hell and slower going up hills.

Just sayin....
Funny you mentioned that, I am actually in the works to buy a couple of flowmaster 50 series (undecided yet) to get that little extra backpressure
Old 08-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyd111 View Post
Funny you mentioned that, I am actually in the works to buy a couple of flowmaster 50 series (undecided yet) to get that little extra backpressure
Those should work nicely, good flow and quieter than the 40's. I remember when Flowmaster's first came out I installed a pair on my '85 LX 5.0. Sounded fantastic! They weren't numbered way back then but they would equal the 40's they sell now.

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #34

Hi, my name is Eddie, I have been searching for Information on Journey Motorhomes, haven't even found History on the Company. The reason I have been doing so is because we are thinking of buying a 1976 Journey a 32 foot model. Currently we have 1988 Fiesta Class B (Turtle Top) it is a 1988 GMC Vandura 17' body, great for a week-end get away but for a week long trip, OH! NO!, gets cramped for two adults and a six year old. I do know where you are coming from on your roof leaks, our first Motorhome was a 1981 Holiday Rambler Class C, we stopped ours by pulling all the vents and A/C unit and siliconeing the areas, scraping all the cheap black roofing cement, cleaned the roof with degreaser and bleach, then finally recoating in Elastomeric. Any way what kind of info can you give me Journey? You may contact us at edbecguerra@gmail.com.
Sincerely, Eddie G.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #35

No update since the move into the RV park from the OP. Must be a busy!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Guerra View Post
Hi, my name is Eddie, I have been searching for Information on Journey Motorhomes, haven't even found History on the Company. The reason I have been doing so is because we are thinking of buying a 1976 Journey a 32 foot model. Currently we have 1988 Fiesta Class B (Turtle Top) it is a 1988 GMC Vandura 17' body, great for a week-end get away but for a week long trip, OH! NO!, gets cramped for two adults and a six year old. I do know where you are coming from on your roof leaks, our first Motorhome was a 1981 Holiday Rambler Class C, we stopped ours by pulling all the vents and A/C unit and siliconeing the areas, scraping all the cheap black roofing cement, cleaned the roof with degreaser and bleach, then finally recoating in Elastomeric. Any way what kind of info can you give me Journey? You may contact us at edbecguerra@gmail.com.
Sincerely, Eddie G.
Hi Eddie .. and All ..

Sorry I dropped off the map for a bit .. been busy w/ life .. mostly good stuff! I like my Journey a lot so far .. even with all the problems .. but it is my first RV so I have nothing to compare it to. I am finding tons of rot, dry and wet, in the framing when I open walls to repair and re-insulate. It -may- be "Journey" specific .. but it's probably just the age. Luckily I'm very good at construction so am able to fix it as I go .. better than new in fact .. it just feels like the 'project' will never end.

A 32' unit will be much better as I am quite limited living in a 25' unit fulltime .. just not enough room. However I am making due and enjoying the life .. especially here at Prospect Park in Wheat Ridge, CO .. awesome location.

As for Journey, the Company, I believe they are still in business doing custom work .. I have their info here:

Journey Custom Motor Homes Inc. | Elkhart, IN | Company Profile, Research, News, Information, Contacts

it lists the same address as the one on my units Mfg Data Plate .. so would assume it's the same, or what's left of, the original company.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #37

Quote:
No update since the move into the RV park from the OP. Must be a busy!
Yep .. very busy .. and making good progress. Got the roof repaired. I ended up getting 6 sheets of 26 guage galv sheet metal and elstomeric caulk, sealant, and tape and re-roofed the whole thing .. installing it right over the existing roof. I removed the vent/skylights as I won't need them this winter and can put them back in this Spring if I want .. made the re-roofing a lot easier. It came out great!! Hope to get some pics up soon ..
Old 11-25-2011, 04:37 AM   #38

smashburm great to here but we want pics when you can. i fulltimed in a 28 ft southwind with a white german shepherd. i was waiting for a divorce to clear the courts. i had the time of my life every evning around 6 pm friends (many) would blow their horn that meant to meet at a central place. we would plan pot luck every night, plenty beers then when when tho sun would be going down it was off to the pool. even though i was mentally down it was a time of my life. im 50 years old trust me when i retire i will full time and work for the park. around here they pay $ 8.00 rent is $125 free elect. 25% propane. when i did it the park hired me out as the park handy man i would hire 2 teen agers to replace awnings, i did water heaters,worked on slides, ect.... hop all had a great thanksgiving. i had a susprise wendesday when i got home my X, daughter and 2 grand kids were at my house cooking. and i thought i was going to be alone. then thursday my boy and his wife came over for dinner.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #39

Quote:

Just sayin....
X2 Loud is not always good...
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #40

Roof Repaired! came out great!!

Hey gang .. sorry to drop out for so long .. life has been busy.

I got the roof rebuilt a while back and finally got some pics up. I have a photo album at:
Stephen Mashburn - Photos

The Motorhome pics are at the bottom .. scroll down. The first ones are the roof -before- the repairs. You'll see the white(ish) roof with brown patches. The brown is the Luan ply showing through the holes where I cut out the rusted/rotted metal. You could literally push your finger through to the inside.

The next group show the new galv sheet metal I put on. I used 6 - 4' x 8' sheets and attached it right over the existing roof. I used an elastomeric caulk on the seams and screwed it down with 1" screws. I then applied the elastomeric fabric/sealant on all seams. I worked great!

The roof was still very 'weak' as there really was no solid 'foundation' under it. To address that I am reinforcing the roof from below as I insulate and hope to get pics of that soon.

Lovin' the life and the project!!
Old 12-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #41
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well it seems you've certainly made progress
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:46 AM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Looks good. DW and I have been living in ours now for just over a week. Hey that Pace Arrow behind yours to the left looks sort of like mine!

Tags
journey