Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #15

I thought they were all that way...

Peter,

Just think how upside down you would be if you bought a brand new motorhome. Now that is scary!

They lose $10K before they even get driven off the lot.

From what I can tell in having just researched and bought an older used motorhome they all go for pretty cheap since they all need $s to keep them going. If it isn't this, it's that and you end up with a pretty steady stream of upkeep $s. But then at the end if you sell if for what you bought it for your lucky. Most of the newer ones sell for less than they were bought for and the owners spend the same amount on upkeep.

I think the key is to get as much usage as you can to justify the $s. But with this being your second motorhome that is kinda hard. Maybe try renting it out to out of country visitors for months at a time. Every time I went down to Cruise America to look at the rentals the place was loaded with Germans, French, Austrians etc.

Cheers!
Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post
Yes - Yellow is nice and one of my favorite colors.
I'm growing concerned about the cost of restoration vs current market prices.
Watching Ebay they aren't bringing the big money they once were - of course nothing is now - and on CL I see rigs like this still listed 2 months later.

It just seems so odd. I'll have around $8-8500 in the Elandan - at most - and it'll probably be worth 6-7. It's really easy to get 12-15 into a GMC and today they're bringing 7-8 from what I see.

I really like the layout and style - along with the history and strong user group support (A bunch of Enablers but thats ok :~) ).....but getting so upside down is scary.

Peter
Even if you buy a brand new one, never use it and sell it one month later
you won't get all of your money back. I like both of your MH's, they are worth the investment. Some of the GMC's I see that are totally updated are to die for, really cool.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post

I think the key is to get as much usage as you can to justify the $s. But with this being your second motorhome that is kinda hard. Maybe try renting it out to out of country visitors for months at a time. Every time I went down to Cruise America to look at the rentals the place was loaded with Germans, French, Austrians etc.

Cheers!
Michelle
Well now that's an interesting idea. It'd have to be totally reliable...but the GMC would be easy to drive for someone not used to large vehicles.

I wnoder what the insurance costs if you're renting it out...has to be spendy.
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Well now that's an interesting idea. It'd have to be totally reliable...but the GMC would be easy to drive for someone not used to large vehicles.

I wnoder what the insurance costs if you're renting it out...has to be spendy.

The year before we bought ours, we rented one for a weekend through

Motorhome RV Rentals Private Luxury Motorhome RV Rental Services

The owner said that the rest of his family had tired of the RV trips and he didn't want to sell it. By renting, he could justify keeping it.

Before we picked it up, he gave us a website where we could log-on and pay for insurance on a day-by-day basis and print out documentation. I don't remember the exact cost, but it wasn't prohibitive.

I just can't imagine renting mine out . . . at least my only one!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #19

I think they have to buy it

Quote:

I wonder what the insurance costs if you're renting it out...has to be spendy.
I think they have to buy the insurance if they don't already have it. 3Cs RV rental in Denver uses this place.
MBA RV RENTAL INSURANCE

I believe it is $17 per night. They also require a Good Sam's or other road side assistance membership.

Here is their Q&A where you can see what policies they use.
3 C's RV Rental LLC - Answers to your Questions - Aurora, CO

If you speak other languages you could really have a nice market and probably make some good friends/contacts for when you travel the world. Otherwise Australians who speak English really like to toodle around the US also.

Cheers!
Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting...
Europeans like to come to Colorado...We have friends in Britain because they came here on a house exchange...Traveling in a classic - easy to drive GMC could be attractive.

Thanks for providing the information - and for being a terrific enabler
Old 09-17-2010, 06:32 AM   #21

Peter, someone was looking into manufacturing these again-the more I find out about these the more impressed I am, the ONLY thing that could improve them would be a diesel engine.
What is the fuel consumption on these?, and the total exterior height is really under 8' ??
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
Peter, someone was looking into manufacturing these again-the more I find out about these the more impressed I am, the ONLY thing that could improve them would be a diesel engine.
What is the fuel consumption on these?, and the total exterior height is really under 8' ??
I haven't measured it for height - with the roof gear I'd say it's more like 9 or so but it would fit in my garage whereas the Elandan is too tall.

I haven't run mine other than home from Boulder - probably 30-35 miles. They say 9-10 is about what you get depending on your gearing. Stock is 3.07 but people run 3.55 if they're towing. There are diesel conversions out there...some people run 504 Cadillacs...there's a lot of mods and there are a number of companies who produce parts and support them.

People say they have $20-$30,000 in theirs. If you add up all the rebuilds and upgrade mods it's really easy to get $13-15 in one before looking at the interior or paint. Like anything it's what you can do and what you want.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Hey, since they use an Olds Toronado powertrain, I'll bet the good old original GM 5.7L diesel would fit since it was a dieselized version of the Olds 350 CID gasoline V8.

Seriously, though, I love the old GMCs - they were way ahead of their time. If I could bring one up to as new/modernized condition for $25K total investment, I'd probably do it regardless of resale value just to have something unique. But then again, that's just me.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #24

Rusty, I would do the same-

dream-on here:

GMC Motorhome Parts, GMC Publications, GMC Motorhome Service Center, GMC Motorhomes

http://www.bethunesales.com/

Second link does not work just google bethunesales
Old 09-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Rusty, I would do the same-

dream-on here:

GMC Motorhome Parts, GMC Publications, GMC Motorhome Service Center, GMC Motorhomes

http://www.bethunesales.com/

Second link does not work just google bethunesales
That's a good site - there are many others as well...but truth is on the open market you can do pretty well.
One just sold on Ebay - a '77 Royalle 26' - new motor - recent transmission - repainted - seemed to be quite nice but of course I didn't see it - $5,100.
Prices are soft for everything - now's a good time to buy.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:45 AM   #26

Rusty/Peter: I positively would buy a latter year edition and go completely through it, what do you think a complete mechanical rebuild would run, crate engine, rebuilt transmission, bushings, bearings, swing arms, suspension the works-$12k??, another 10 large inside-and for all practical purposes you have a new coach.
I would save a ton on taxes and ride down the road laughing , that would be nice.

Rusty, oddly enough I know two people personally who STILL have one of those converted diesels and they are running perfectly-undoubtedly they are the only two on the planet, but they exist-what a disaster that was.

Tell you what, when I hit it big I will get both of you a restored edition complete with a pre emissions remanufactured diesel engine, I'm guessing the Ford 6.0 would come close to fitting into the chasis-its really on the small side being only 396cubic inches or so----------dream on.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some people have $35-50 in their GMC's. I have a hard time seeing how, but getting to $25 is easy with all the upgrades that are available. Thing is, in today's market you can buy the $35-$50 coach for $20
Old 09-20-2010, 05:01 AM   #28

I have heard it said, and agree with, that the rv industry of late has produced very very poor quality units both in material used and in workmanship.

In terms of price you could probably get nearly a current year coach for very near what some have invested in a vintage GMC but in the end which owner has more value for his/her money?, in my mind its the GMC people-thoughts?

Of course I don't have one, just wishing I did.