Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
My Purchase Yikes old but nice class A

I purchased a 1990, 36 ft. Hawkins motor coach, paid $11,000, it has a 250 hP Cat 3208 with 37,000 miles, it needs a new refrigerator on order now, Tires 265/R7522.5, and also replacing all four 4D Batteries with new, coach was sitting for about 4-5 years and was owned by a longhaul truck driver and his wife, coach appears very solidly built with a nice floor plan.
refer/batteries and tires will add about $5,000 to the price but it is what it is and it runs well at least now it does has a Gillig chassis, air brakes/air bags air horn, 98 gal fuel tank, 60 gal propane, 65 gal black & Grey tanks, 95 gallon water tank. Any thoughts about what else to do to it?
All system now work and have been tested, it will get lubed and filters along with an oil change, oil looks like it was just changed but it has been sitting for a few years. So for about $16K I will have a low mileage pusher, with new tires new refergerator and new batteries, still have a few small things to do but hey that's the fun part of owning an older coach built with real wood very little plastic or particle board.
Not to sure about the CAT 3208, i have heard good and bad stuff your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks Muledeer2

Muledeer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Congrats! Hope you have many happy times!

An older coach, sitting a while. I would do this. Install a new propane regulator. It should be right beside the propane tank, and it's only about $25.00.

When we bought our coach a few years ago, I wish I had done that. It would have saved me a lot of trouble with all the things in our coach that use propane.

Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you buy something that has sat a while, Air brakes are the way to go for sure.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lets see some pictures of that beauty.
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
I'd go right through it, getting ALL scheduled maintenance items up to date? Trans fluid, anti freeze, serpentine belt, etc. THEN, start on the UNSCHEDULED maintenance items. Like roof sealant, replacement or close inspection of anything plastic located on the roof, total roof reseal, window and windshield seals, etc.

Nobody saying you can't be using it while this work is in progress. It took me nearly an entire season to get caught up on ours. My point is to get that "unscheduled" maintenance scheduled at your earliest opportunity?

Best of luck! -Al
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Thanks for all the replys

Well next for the Hawkins is a new set of batteries, the local interstate dist. wants $196 Ea for deep cycle 4D's 1317 CCA and for engine batteries, $176 Ea for 4D's

Then it's time to head to a tire shop need to shop around some more
Lookig for 6 Each probably yokohama RY103's or Toyos, 265/75R22.5

Waiting right now for the new Dometic refrigerator to arrive, the original refer was a 3801 and i am switching it out for a newer 2820, i could rebuild the old one for about $750 but for $1,385 I bought a new model.
3801 was a three way and the new one is a 2way.

Thanks for all the great advice

Muledeer2 1990 36ft Hawkins Cat 3208 Aromas California
Old 08-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
Thanks it is getting all you said and more actuall, inspected the roof completely, the hawkins has a great roof cap it's thick fiberglass over 3/4" plywood and extends down the side of the coach 6" , I am resealing all vent opening and the front and rear roof cap joints as well as the roof rack suports

Old 08-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Pls post some pics! Love to see what it looks like.
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
Ford Super Duty Owner
I happen to like that Cat 3208. generally very goodand long lasting if kept lubed and not over heated. Take note most of them take 2 oil filters and 5 gallons of oil.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Pls post some pics! Love to see what it looks like.
Agree! Never seen a Hawkins before... if I did I didn't know what it was.
Don (RVM19) & Mary,
Furry friends Sophia & Zander
2006 Coachmen Freedom 289QB | 2004 Jeep

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
Ditto on what Mekanic said on the 3208, should be a long lasting power plant.

Check out the air bags, look closely for cracks. Rubber gets old, if you can believe that. New bags are quite reasonable; the part# will usually be stamped on the metal plate at the top, and they are easy to replace if you have a big jack & jack stands.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Thanks for the vote of confidence on the 3208T, I have already ordered 2 sets of fiters for it, also for transmission and the coolant filter.
Do you happen to know what type and how much Dextron or Dextron 2 the 643, 4 speed allison might take.

Muledeer2 in Aromas Ca
Old 08-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #13
I'm planning on buying a '99 or close GB Pursui. One of the first things I'm doing is replacing the house battery pack with a lithium po4 kit and adding a bunch of solar panels with a command center. Then a Banks power pack system. A hundred gallon water tank with a tankless water heater. Michelin RV tires. A tire pressure monitoring system. and a Rand McNally gps system-RV specific.very large led tv for the living room and a 42" for the bedroom. Then there's the Good Sam and KOA memberships. Plus I have to make the rounds of the country and meet all of you guys I've been reading about for the past year and see some of these places you've been telling me about.
Then I'm buying a Piaggio mp3. Either a 250cc or the 300cc. Because they are twist and go they're perfect for me sll the controls are on my right so my paralyzed left arm isn't a problem. It gets 65mpg+and can do 70+mph so it's perfect. It will fit in the living room once I take out the couch and put in a lazy boy. It also means I can shop once a month woth the mh and pick up incidentals with the trike. Its got as much storage space as a sentra with the extra trunk. Since scooters can park amost anywhere this thing is better than mass transitand about the same price. I plan to buy window awnings as well as shads to keep the inside cool plus ceiling fans too lower a/c use. Now if I can just find a beautiful woman to share it all with.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #14
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hawkins made great motor homes. They have a cult-like following. Here is a web page about them. HMC Club - Home Page

Steve, Mary & Buddy our 2-year-old Chihuahua mix
1995 36' HR Endeavor, 460 w/Banks, 2005 PT Cruiser
Fulltimers originally from Michigan, hanging out in Oregon for a spell.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, purchase