Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #393

Dan-the engine is shot.Not much fixing there.I am trying to find a 4.3 V6 S10 Pick-up and the money to replace the van which would be cheaper on mpg and tons easier to work on.Dealing with how I am going to deal with the guy that did the intake gasket is going to have to wait until after that.
fleamarketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #394

Vintage RV Owners Club
Still a shame fellow. You need some good luck with the projects for sure. Good luck with your search for the S-10. They are one of the best small trucks out there. I owned one and wish sometimes i wish i still had kept it. Hang in there, Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #395

I'm steering clear of the 5 speed 2.2 4 cylinder S10 pick-ups.Great gas mileage,but I don't think it would be able to tow much.I just need a tow vehicle to move around the trailers while I work/or have work done.There are a boat load of 4 cylinder S10's out there.Waiting for a good deal on a S10 4.3.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #396

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep! Thats the way to go for sure. I wish i had that 4.3 in this one but i will do with it till i can build a V-8 engine for it.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #397

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby Dan View Post
Yep! Thats the way to go for sure. I wish i had that 4.3 in this one but i will do with it till i can build a V-8 engine for it.
Dan-you have a engine for your truck.Dusty's 454.I understand your concern about gas mileage,but with the 305 under that kind of load,not sure your going to do a whole lot better.Aleast it would be a engine you know very well.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #398

Vintage RV Owners Club
its a option that for now is on a back burner. I am not even close to getting it ready for towing...yet. It would take one day to pull it out. And i could find out just what is wrong with that engine for sure. I thinking that the timing chain got damaged but a friend thinks it is one of the shear pins on the distributor. If i do that, i will let you know what i found. Like you said, I could tow a tank around with that motor. Anyway we will see what happens. How goes the hunt for a truck?? Any luck yet?? Hope you can find one soon, Dan
Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #399

I didn't know you had issues with the 454.But it is a easy check.Just pull the dizzy while it is on tdc no number one.My vote is the timing chain.That is a higher percentage.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #400

Vintage RV Owners Club
Remember when i first had to redo the engine back in 07?? Someone,(i think my buddys kid), Put screws nuts and bolts down the carb. It bent valves and popped one piston. I repaired that but i didn't think about checking the timing chain when i was putting it back together. I think it is the timing chain. That engine ran sooo good!!! I am thinking about doing that but just am wondering if i really want to tackle that job or not. I can put it on a back burner for now. I have way to many things on the menu right now. I will finish some of the things i am in the middle of and then i can start getting into the Engine and Transmission. I am looking for a Power Steering gearbox for it and am going to be putting Power Brakes too. I am adding Cruse Control so i can get better millage when not towing. Want to add Intermittent Wipers too. Biggest issues on that is finding them. I got a Cruse Control but it is in the storage shed...lost...
Anyway, Lots of things going on. Right now its Body Work, Paint, Toolboxes and New Gas Tank. I am getting ready for that to happen. I am getting rid of the cap on it. Be glad about that!! So, I will be thinking about the Motor and what i am getting for a Transmission. Have the time. Dan
Old 02-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #401

I lost the high speed on the heater blower motor.The two lower ones work.I am thinking it is the switch,but it sure does look like a pita to get to it.Suggestions anyone??.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #402

Vintage RV Owners Club
I agree, Gary, If it was one of the slower speeds i would look at the regulator for it. I would go with the switch. Is this on the coach or one of the other vehicles?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #403

Nope Dan-it is a 20' Warrior.Chevy P30 chassis.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #404

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I used some tuner spray on my blower switch. It was sticky and sometimes would not make contact. Works like new now. Tuner spray cost about 8 bucks at radio shack. Give that a try.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #405

Thanks for the tip.I'll give it a try.Being it a 1981,I guess I could get the part if needed.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #406

Well I bought a 1999 Sonoma Extended cab.It is kind of a unusual pick-up because it is a V6 5 speed stick which is what I wanted for the extra gas mileage and a little more power to move my trailers around when I want to take them to the trailer shop to have work done on them.It needs a clutch,but that is ok because it has only 143,000 miles on it and is worth the effort to make it the way I want.Should be a easy vehicle to tow behind the RV too if needed.I am having it towed back to my shop on Weds and I'll get pictures posted when I can.

Oh-you know how I nick name everything.This one is Rufus.