Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey,Thank whoever showed us??

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:09 AM   #44

Capt Dan,
When I am done with this job,you can be sure I will pass what I have learned along to who ever needs it.But what a mess inside now.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:03 PM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sometimes you must go backwards in order to move froward! Now, Tell me that made sense.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #46

Felicity was also in real bad shape when I got her, and I likewise plan to spen the rest of my days in her. When these rigs were made, it seems like they were not intended to be in use for more than 10 years at the most, and built with that in mind. Yes, you will go much farther than Winebago did. You are building for a much greater expected lifespan. Under those conditions, you would be a fool not to go a lot farther than the original manuf. did. . . We all learn by doing, and sharing the results of our work, along with what we learned while doing the work (thus making it just that much easier for the next guy doing similar work). We should put together a Vintage RV "cadre" of people who have done major work on their rigs, and have found ways around the cheap (as in poor) ways these rigs have been built. I know that I have a high mechanical IQ (meaning that I can almost read a manual from looking at the way thing fit together), which ha helped me to learn a lot about how these rigs are put together. I for one, am happy to pass that along.

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #47

Well with you folks having names for your MH's mine must feel alittle not reborn.Soooooo,from today forward my MH is known as "Baby".(kind of fits considering it is only 20').

In terms of the life span of these MH's,aside from a 10yr life span,they where never built for fulltime living space.It is because of that too the number of changes that are needed too.With me the skylight in the shower is a example.The bedding being another.

So yes we change them for the better.

Gary
Old 09-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #48

and a good deal better at that. By bedding I suspect that you mean that passes for a mattress in some of these rigs. Just criminal, I tell you! You have two real choices here. You can rebuild the bed platform to fit a real mattress, or you can get a good one to fit it. Wal Mart (and a lot of other places) sells a Memory Foam mattress fairly cheap, and they also sell toppers to go on top of what is already there. I personally use a full sized topper on top of the mattress that came with the rig. This is temporary, as I'll be going to a full sized mattress when I get the cash. Full is the size that best fits the platform that was already there, which may have been an upgrade by the previous owner. It looks like a twin would have fit over everything that is under the platform. I'll have to do a bit of checking on that.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #49

Does anyone out there think by lifting the roof I risk ripping a rubber seal between the roof and the walls where I wouldn't be able to get a replacement?.During this repair I try hard to do no more damage than what I am repairing.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #50

Fleamarketer... If you are careful, you should be able to save your rubber seal. You might want to keep a trigger sprayer of diluted dish soap handy to soap up the seal and dirt.

RE: Name... I refuse to name this beastie. I don't intend on keeping it... it temporary. It's just to use until I get the bus complete.

RE: mattress... Currently using a full-size Ozark Trail air mattress with a 4" memory foam mattress topper on it. Does require sheets for the thicker mattresses (over all height is about 12") but sure sleeps good!
Old 09-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
If, You plan to never get another coach,Name it and continue with it,If Not, if it is a stepping stone, I wouldn't name it! Another thing ya should have is a bunch of pictures not only for us to see but having it all on a disc just in case of a accident or fire or???
I bought one of those fire safes at Walmart that holds all those Irreplaceable files and discs,ect! Saves yourself a bundle of pain if something does happen.
I just thought of one more thing, Get a printer that has a flat board scanner and copy all the paperwork to a disc,A rewritable disc is good for that as you can add as you go! I bought a HP psc 1510 all-in-one! Small and cheap but has a lot of bells and whistles for all your needs! A cheap one at less than a hundred bucks!! These days, all those slips from your paint or whatever else you buy KEEP those receipts!! If something happens and you need to file a claim they will have the price you paid for whatever damage and how old or how much wear it may have had Ect!! All of us need to CYA ourself's!! Your Insurance company is NOT willing to be nice if they can get out of it. I Know most of you have a CYA clase, But you need all the letters Doted and the t's crossed. Your insurance company will help you if it is the other guys fault most of the time but if it is a fire or flood or mother nature claim you are on your own most of the time. Protect yourselfs!!Capt. Dan
Old 09-09-2007, 10:23 AM   #52

Fleamarketer wanted me to post a link or two as his computer is having trouble keeping up with him. . .

This is a .pdf of the floor plan and some parts info

I guess there was only the one. Use Adobe Acrobat to open the above link, if it does not automatically open for you

Old 09-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #53

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thinks SanjayR, Not a bad layout but I would take out the dinette and place a sofa there. I use those portable tables On ours.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #54

Thank You Sanjay.The kind of support you get here is not like any other.Just the best!!.

Went to Lowes today to get info about skylights today.If I could,I would skylight the whole bathroom.But I am afraid to go too big because in the area the skylight is there is no blueboard and plywood which I would think that would effect how strong the roof is.I wouldn't want the roof to flex because of the coating of the roof resealer.(Snow Roof Systems).Lowes offers a triple dome skylight which I would think is pretty strong itself,but the structor of the MH does depend on the sandwisked plywood from side to side.Any thoughts????.

Gary

BTW-the bathroom doesn't have roof bows that go side to side.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally posted by fleamarketer:
...I am afraid to go too big because in the area the skylight is there is no blueboard and plywood which I would think that would effect how strong the roof is...
David says to put some support in there between the skylight and sidewall to keep the wall from flexing out. It would be a good idea to add some support on the opposite side of the skylight (minimum 2X4 frame but 2X6 frame would be better).
Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #56

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, I think I posted about the roof had no support where the skylight was and it wasn't even framed in.
Road runner Rv used 2X4 and built the frame in before they did anything else on that roof.Now thats a 2X4 on its side ok. They did the same where the new hole for the A/C was put in.I would think that 2X4 would be big enough without adding to much weight. I would say that a skylight with say24X24" or 24"X36" would be the right choice depending on the size of the tub.
Good luck,