Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #1

My roof repair

Ok,I am in the process of locating Snow roof products for my roof repair.I own a 1981 winnebago warrior on a chevy frame with a 350.I have started to scrape off the ceiling in the bathroom to find rotted 1/4 luin and blueboard glued to the roof without any roof hoists at all.I found the center seam in need of repair.

I don't trust the roof to support my wt.My question is how do the shops get to the center seam to repair them?.Seems to me you can't reach it well enough with a ladder to do a good job.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Gary

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #2

If you can't use scaffolding, get some 2X6's or 10's long enough to stretch from side wall to side wall. Your side walls are your "bearing walls" that support the load weight of your roof(depressing isn't it). You just need to spread your body weight out over a wider area. Lay 3 or 4 rows down and try to "spread out" as much as possible. You might want to use a sheet of plywood too. Just make sure you are resting on the sidewalls.

You can rent scaffolding from tool rental places. You would need to custom build a "boxed" walkway long enough to stretch over the RV plus lay on the scaffolding (that's a long frame). You would also need at least 4 sections (stack 2 high on each side). Standard scaffold walks are only wide enough to fit 1 section of scaffold. You may find it cheaper to buy some used scaffolding rather than renting. That's what we did and then David ended up renting some of it back to the guy he bought it from (he needed it for a job). We now have enough to work on a 3 story house. Comes in handy.

As for the Snow Roof products... try an Ace Hardware.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:35 AM   #3

Yes,that's what I thought I would have to rent,but for about a week given the number of coatings and drying time.Was wondering if I could prime and seam repair the inside of the center seam too(inside of the RV)for double protection given the glue I am going to use to glue back the blueboard and 1/4 plywood.Wonder if the glue would effect the primer/tape.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:29 AM   #4

Well folks as I look to find Snow Roof systems source I called them up at 1-888-321-5665.They told me they are owned by Shewin-Williams and the Shewin-Williams store could order the product in for me.(There is a store in Brockport NY near me)They also told me that Kool roof coatings is the same kind of roof coating owned by them and may be a grade above Snow Roof Systems.The next stop this afternoon is going to a marine repair shop to see what they suggest.Either with Snow Roof Systems or Kool Roof the is a 10 yr garenttee.I'll post up what the marine repair shop says after I find what they suggest.

Thanks Lorna for getting me started on this process.Your just the best of the best.

Gary
Old 08-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #5

Went to the marine repair shop.No help at all.Said they didn't have anything to help me out.I went to the Sherman Williams store and wouldn't you know it,they had 3 galions of the snow roof systems coating.They are going to price out the other stuff I need.(The roof cement,tape,primer,and 5 gallions of the coating)In the mean time,I am going to compair pricing with Lowes and the kool roof products.Will know more tomorrow.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #6

We purchased the Kool roof in a 5 gal bucket from Walmart in Columbia, MO. it was on sale for $35.00 works great with a small brush and roller..

2007 Toyoata Prius Hybrid
antlerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:47 PM   #7

Do not forget to use the primer!!! it's important.

As for the seam... Probably wouldn't hurt to seal the inside as well as the outside. I don't know what kind of glue you are using to stick the foam board up with. We used contact cement (applied with a roller to both surfaces... waited until just dry to touch and stuck it in place... no retries though... no sweat since we have worked with it for years building laminate countertops).
Old 08-03-2007, 02:50 AM   #8

Lorna,
What I am saying is I am having one heck of a time getting the old blueboard off.I'm going to look for some sort of a electric heated scraper to help soften the glue at Lowes today.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:20 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi
Just a note as I believe that contact cement will actually dissolve the white foam board when you apply it. Need special adhesives for bead board or white foam board.
JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #10

Fleamarketer, Try using a metal putty knife (one of the wide ones, 4-6 inches. That's how we got the stuff that was stuck to the metal skin off. You might want to use a small hammer to tap the putty knife between the foam and skin. Basically you are cutting the foam off the glue. Our glue had deteriorated so much the we could pry off most of it in good-sized chunks. Cutting the foam in to sections also helped.

FC Ontario, Contact cement is okay to use on the blue and pink housetype foam sheathing. It is a different "foam" than the white beaded stuff.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #11

lORNA,
tHE BLUE BOARD IS STUCK SO HARD TO THE SKIN,MAKES ME THINK TO REPLACE THE 1/4" PLYWOOD AND LEAVE THE BLUE BOARD WITH A RESEALED ROOF.bUT i AM CONCERNED WITH MOLD.sO i WILL TAKE IT ALL OUT.gOING TO TRY TO HEAT THE SCRAPER ALITTLE TO SEE IF THAT WILL MAKE THIS FASTER.

btw:sNOW ROOF sYSTEMS HAS ADVISED ME TO NOT TAPE SEAL THE CENTER SEAM ON THE INSIDE BECAUSE THE GLUE WOULD EFFECT THE TAPE.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:55 AM   #12

Contact cement will fail under wet conditions. I would guess that your leak was very localized. You probably don't have a mold problem. Pop off the foam board with weakened adhesive and replace that part. Listen to Snow roof about the glue. Ours was all sealed from the exterior so I didn't have to concern myself about the contact cement and sealant... my repairs have held up well.... we take the Class C mostly down "primary" and "Secondary" roads as the traffic on the Interstates is getting wild.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorna:
Contact cement will fail under wet conditions. I would guess that your leak was very localized. You probably don't have a mold problem. Pop off the foam board with weakened adhesive and replace that part. Listen to Snow roof about the glue. Ours was all sealed from the exterior so I didn't have to concern myself about the contact cement and sealant... my repairs have held up well.... we take the Class C mostly down "primary" and "Secondary" roads as the traffic on the Interstates is getting wild.
Getting???? Getting worse is more like it!!!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:07 PM   #14

The traffic on the Interstates we have been running is getting very heavy, but we noticed on our weekend running around the semi's seemed the be running the primary and secondary roads alot. After the long creeping delay in Atlanta, I started working on "alternative" routes. We had ran a primary/secondary route down to Marianna Fl then picked up I-10 to finsh up the trip to Panama City. This had worked well for us. I laid out a similar route using I-75 and Hwy 441 to Franklin NC (running I-75 from Cordele to Macon). The route to Franklin took 1 hour less and was the same mileage as going thru Atlanta. And was much more relaxing. Also when we went up to Chattanooga TN a couple of months ago, we took Hwy 280 to Columbus' I-185 to pick up Hwy 27 up to around Rome. Got on I-75 at that point. Lots of Rv's and semi's on these back roads but we're still making good time. And a much more relaxed trip. I am the one driving the Class C and I am no ways near as tired as when I drove the RV strictly on Interstates. Some of the roads are "rough" since they are under construction in some places (being 4 laned like mad).