Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
If the tag is attached to the body of the trailer somewhere, it is not likely to be the VIN plate. The VIN should be on the chassis, and will probably be stamped directly into the chassis or on a plate welded to the chassis.

JP
Nah its bolted vertically on the driver side of the tongue on I bought a wire tool for the dremmel im going to try and see if the works start around the edges i guess
if you squint you can see that on the drivers side of the tongue theres a zip tie thats where the tag is

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #58

Sometimes, a crowbar is all you need

So today I spent my first 45$ towards the trailer.
First thing i grabbed was the crowbar <3 I SWEAR i'm hanging that thing up once this trailer is done lmao
I found that its much easier to pry the wood instead of getting the screws out:stick to that and ill get alot more accomplished trashbags some cutting attatchments for the dremmel which Are AWESOME just so you know.
Ahhhhh progress

Old 07-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #59

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfaanijray View Post
So today I spent my first 45$ towards the trailer.
First thing i grabbed was the crowbar <3 I SWEAR i'm hanging that thing up once this trailer is done lmao
I found that its much easier to pry the wood instead of getting the screws out:stick to that and ill get alot more accomplished trashbags some cutting attatchments for the dremmel which Are AWESOME just so you know.
Ahhhhh progress
Tearing it apart is the fun part. When you start rebuilding everything you have removed it starts getting interesting
Old 07-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #60
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be very careful using any power type tool or wire brush combination when cleaning the VIN tag some of them can be very fragile and get destroyed easily.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #61

I have successfully used the paper and pencil rub trick to get the numbers off of unreadable tags. Just place the paper over the numbers and rub with the pencil the numbers will be a different shade.

Mike
Old 07-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #62

just some more progress got the tongue wall cabinet down and the first layer of the ceiling out. im thinking that I will not be putting cabs back over the dinette and the on the tongue wall. just taking those out have made the camper feel so much more spacious
Old 08-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #63

Vintage RV Owners Club
You're doing great! I suppose if you don't think you'll need the storage space, then by all means leave the cabinets out. Considering my teeny, tiny space, I'm trying to figure out how or where to ADD storage space, but of course the more storage space, the more weight I can add to it by storing stuff in it. LOL! Think I will do my best to make do with everything as is for the time being.
New2Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #64

So, i've been keeping up with mark polk's restorations series and I have a question. Can you actually run the propane lines and place the holding tanks underneath the trailer like that? I'm sure you run the risk damaging such things when moving the trailer right? it seems to easy I guess.

I'm stopping Demo right now till I uncover the vin and take it the auto theift unit. The abandonment process is a [Pregnant dog] and its going to take me forever to get the title. once I find out if the previous over was infact the previous owner ill get right back to work.

HOWEVER Ive started to work out the new floor plans. Some one said earlier that if I was going to change something I should keep it all the same or do the whole thing the way I want it SOO
this is what my VERY FIRST idea has come down to the grey is the old set up and the green is the new thoughts:

I think itll work.
Also, theres another camper in the back of the farm that actually has a shower/sink/ toilet combo
1.] it looks a bit large
2.] Im afraid to take the walls down in the back of the camper
3.] the entry area is at an angle I could probably do away with the closet wall and back the futon up or put a bigger bed back that way. HOWEVER I REALLY like the way the futons are facing each other because I can make a bed brace to go between the futons to make HUGE bed I'm not sure. what do you guys think?
Old 08-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #65

National RV Owners Club
I would go with the huge bed idea
Old 08-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #66

hello everyone! im back after two vacations! so i decided to make a second attempt at finding the VIN today. i scrubbed the top the side of the right arm for about an hour then decided to call the round then some how while getting up I noticed a "o" just above the ball hitch and was thinking to myself [moderator edit] IT WAS HERE THE WHOLE TIME so I got back to scrubbing. after about a good 15 mins I got the hitch information uncovered and realized there wasnt any information about the vin till i realized I also uncovered a "1" just near the edge. SO i cleared it all off and found 16115 so is this my lucky number? or something else?
Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #67

do to the fact that the camper is so old I have to have a person from the auto theft unit come out to verify the vin I live in Delaware so i hope this helps
Old 09-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfaanijray View Post
do to the fact that the camper is so old I have to have a person from the auto theft unit come out to verify the vin I live in Delaware so i hope this helps
Looks like tons of work, but it is a labor of love......

On another note, I spent many summers staying with my grandparents who lived in Frankfort. My Father and his Mother are from Delaware...just thought I would say hello. I don't know too many people from that area.

Best of luck on your restoration
Old 09-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #69

Hello,I didnt read all the posts here but does this camper also have an air pump to pressure up your water lines? My old 1970 Scamper motorhome had the same water fill system yours had and I pressured up the system ones to 30 psi and the cap blew off missing my head by not much lol and i found the cap in the next field to where we were caping...lol but honestly it probably would have killed me if t hit me in the head so be care full of that...i think the electric water pump is the way to go.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLNSMOKE View Post
Hello,I didnt read all the posts here but does this camper also have an air pump to pressure up your water lines? My old 1970 Scamper motorhome had the same water fill system yours had and I pressured up the system ones to 30 psi and the cap blew off missing my head by not much lol and i found the cap in the next field to where we were caping...lol but honestly it probably would have killed me if t hit me in the head so be care full of that...i think the electric water pump is the way to go.
Shew. what a summer. If you go back to the older posts there are pictures of everything I could find related to the water systems other then the water heater and tanks it appears that I have two different pumps one thats hooked up and one that is not I'll look again when i'm in the camper again (so like....tomorrow lol)

Just an update still don't have the title the Auto theft unit never got back to me and im broke so I really can't work on the camper so instead I just moved all my craft supplies and got to work. its actually really clean for sitting at the back of the farm. I threw some new cushions in there and some carpets so it doesn't feel so....dirty? I realized the other night that the furnace switch was left on after noticing there was buzzing sound coming from the kitchenette which I then turned off completely via the breakers

So Considering that the frame is in decent shape other then around the front most skylight and the front most window I'm torn between keeping it or finding someone else's If one was to tackle reframing the window would it be easier to attempt this from the inside or to take the front shell off (if thats possible)

I've also noticed that whomever this camper was owned to they have changed the camper from its original configuration the exhaust fan in both the skylight and over the oven no longer functions and also the two mechanisms that are next to the water tank. which leads me to believe that wires may be left undone and I no longer wish to attempt to try and get water in this thing. I wish someone left a camper that wasn't far and few between